Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Centaura Advice Please (Fretwire)

Hi there,

I have a Centaura (1990 I think, serial is 026039) that is in need of attention. Standard, not deluxe so passive pickups. 

It's had a bad refret job with vintage style Fender frets a long time ago and they feel and look horrible. I want to get it refretted with something that matches what it originally had, or as close as possible. 

Does anyone here know what wire to use?

Secondly, the Schaller Floyd is in need of replacement as the thread has gone on one of the clamps so it's impossible to intonate the D string. What's a good replacement? It's already been replaced once so I'm thinking that Schaller might not be as hard wearing as original Floyd Rose models. 

Thirdly, what does the small switch do? I think Hamer called it the "Thick Switch' which to my ears does pretty much nothing. 

Fourthly, are these Seymour Duncans? I think some earlier Centauras had some custom DiMarzio's on board. 

Thanks for any help you can give, it's appreciated!!

Hamer.jpg

40 minutes ago, JonnyLondon said:

Hi there,

I have a Centaura (1990 I think, serial is 026039) that is in need of attention. Standard, not deluxe so passive pickups. 

It's had a bad refret job with vintage style Fender frets a long time ago and they feel and look horrible. I want to get it refretted with something that matches what it originally had, or as close as possible. 

Does anyone here know what wire to use?

Secondly, the Schaller Floyd is in need of replacement as the thread has gone on one of the clamps so it's impossible to intonate the D string. What's a good replacement? It's already been replaced once so I'm thinking that Schaller might not be as hard wearing as original Floyd Rose models. 

Thirdly, what does the small switch do? I think Hamer called it the "Thick Switch' which to my ears does pretty much nothing. 

Fourthly, are these Seymour Duncans? I think some earlier Centauras had some custom DiMarzio's on board. 

Thanks for any help you can give, it's appreciated!!

1. Medium Jumbo frets. JeffR will know.

2. Schaller Floyd is a direct swap. https://schaller.info/en/tremolos/359/schaller-tremolo

3. It's a mid boost switch I think.

4. Likely Seymours. JB and 2 x SS1's

https://reverb.com/item/17330479-schaller-floyd-rose-1980-1990-aged-black?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjMfoBRDDARIsAMUjNZopTgMPaWk2-at0VXEHvGXtELXfBGDzXSLMe3SG30A4l1zbCWoIrC0aAgWoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

I answered your fret questions on Facebook, factory is a 50x100, I recommend you bump up in size slightly to a 57x110 or a 58x118.

That stock mid boost switch is absolutely useless IMHO. I'd rewire it to be a "Gilmour switch," to turn the neck pickup on regardless of where the blade sits. It will allow you to get two pickup combinations (neck + bridge, all three simultaneously) that you can't get with a conventional five-way blade.

9 hours ago, Jeff R said:

I answered your fret questions on Facebook, factory is a 50x100, I recommend you bump up in size slightly to a 57x110 or a 58x118.

That stock mid boost switch is absolutely useless IMHO. I'd rewire it to be a "Gilmour switch," to turn the neck pickup on regardless of where the blade sits. It will allow you to get two pickup combinations (neck + bridge, all three simultaneously) that you can't get with a conventional five-way blade.

I'm totally with you on the mini switch for the mid boost - I can't ear anything with it in or out - and thats a great idea for whacking in the neck pickup selection.

One of my Centauras has a factory Preamp (the one with the trim pot accessible through the rear control cover) - I quite like that feature . Do you know what the preamp was that was used - or of there is a better one that could be put to that purpose?

Cheers!
Ben.

16 hours ago, Jeff R said:

That stock mid boost switch is absolutely useless IMHO.

This.

2 hours ago, scottcald said:

Yeah, on mine I made it a split switch for the bridge pickup.  

I used the one on mine for half of the mini switches for the Sustainiac. :D

Here's an update. I took the guitar to www.nodenguitars.co.uk, who are probably the best in London 

After a discussion and some discussion it seems that the Schaller is probably fixable which saves me from buying an expensive replacement. 

The fretwire we decided on is Dunlop 6130. I tried out a few guitars and that's the one that felt the best. Other than that it's electronics cleaning, new strings and setup. 

I get it back in a week and a half, can't wait!

Yeah, the switch is pointless but I'm undecided what to do with it yet so will leave it a bit longer. 

Archived