Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Another Fender Guitar Series Name Change

Earlier this year (or was it late last year?), Fender changed their 'Standard' MIM guitar line to 'Player'.  Now, they've gone and changed the MIM 'Classic' series to the 'Vintera' series, with it's associated tweaks here and there, for better or for worse:

https://reverb.com/news/video-fenders-new-vintera-series-overhauls-the-mim-classic-series-line?utm_campaign=20190625+D%26S&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=MarketingCloud

I can't imagine that the 'Vintera' moniker is gonna stay around for long, it reminds me too much of the Panera Bread store chain.

Vintera may cause dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, swelling, or sudden shortness of breath. If you experience one or more of these symptoms, stop playing Vintera and consult your physician immediately. 

Oooh la la.   Vintera... sounds kind of upscale or European.    I like the slightly larger frets and flatter radius.    That said, not paying $899 even at discount.       Crazy how imports now approaching a grand.    The dean select series looks cool too.  Not paying those prices 

In retrospect, I think Fender had a logical naming convention for the different MIM lines. To wit, "Classic Player" = period correct appointments, specs, and finishes on specific models of some importance or popularity, e.g, '72 Telecaster Thinline. "Modern Player" = classic models with modern appointments or features, e.g., a '50s Stratocaster with larger frets, a flatter radius, novel finishes, and more versatile electronics. That naming convention made a hell of a lot of sense. Why change it?

7 hours ago, crunchee said:

I suspect that corners probably got cut somewhere with the 'new' series, or they found a way to increase the prices from the previous series, or both.

Well it worked out so well for Hamer in the end, why not adopt the idea for the parent company as well? 

Remember when Fender's most expensive guitars had lace sensors, TBX pots, and American Std trems? Ah, the (not so) good old days! An American Std would run about $750 and a Strat Plus was $999. (Actually, if I recall correctly, the most expensive non-signature model in the early 90s was the butterscotch/black guard '52 Tele - must have been all the extra labor for the V-profile neck! LOL)

But seriously, these new names are stupid. We used to have Squire (Asian made), Std (MiM), Classic (MiM reissues), Am Std, Vintage series (US reissues, with more correct hardware and nitro finishes), Plus and signature models. That made sense! Now there are thirteen different tiers of custom shop models, depending on how bad you want you new guitar to look, and nonsensical names like this weird new Mexican venereal disease for those who don't want a $5k guitar that's been peppered with buck shot. Oh well... My partscaster is the closest I'll come to a genuine fender, anyway, and much better value for money. And not infectious!

7 hours ago, crunchee said:

I suspect that corners probably got cut somewhere with the 'new' series, or they found a way to increase the prices from the previous series, or both.

The correct answer is C.  Both.

40 minutes ago, joshoowah said:

Remember when Fender's most expensive guitars had lace sensors, TBX pots, and American Std trems? Ah, the (not so) good old days!

I disagree. I very much like Fender’s offerings of the late’80s through early ‘90s.  Quality was good and I dig TBX. I think the early Strat Plus Deluxe guitars are awesome, one of the best models to ever come out of Fender, with either of the roller-nuts.

54 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Sounds more like mid-‘70s Chrysler to me.

"I request nothing beyond the thickly cushioned luxury of seats available even in soft, Corinthian leather..."

4 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

"I request nothing beyond the thickly cushioned luxury of seats available even in soft, Corinthian leather..."

The Chrysler board room 1974:

CEO John Riccardo:

"...so we're bringing back the Cordoba?"

The Board:

"NO! It sucked the first time. HELL NO!" "

"GTFO!"

"Are you kidding?"

"You jest."

CEO John Riccardo:

"No, I shit you not ....and, to reintroduce it to the public we will have a celebrity of class as our spokesman. Get it done."

TWO MONTHS LATER:

Mr. Riccardo, meet Ricardo.

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

I disagree. I very much like Fender’s offerings of the late’80s through early ‘90s.  Quality was good and I dig TBX. I think the early Strat Plus Deluxe guitars are awesome, one of the best models to ever come out of Fender, with either of the roller-nuts.

I like the TBX as a tone control. had my Shishkov built with one. 

I think the mid to late 90's USA & Mexico Fenders were very well built for the money.  96-98 seem to be the prefect years for me in consistency & build quality of the guitars. To each there own...

8 minutes ago, bruce919 said:

I like the TBX as a tone control. had my Shishkov built with one. 

I think the mid to late 90's USA & Mexico Fenders were very well built for the money.  96-98 seem to be the prefect years for me in consistency & build quality of the guitars. To each there own...

I think we said the same thing..that the '90s didn't suck for Fender.

I think you were perhaps in disagreement with Joshoowah?

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 10.48.05 AM.png

13 hours ago, cynic said:

I can’t be the only person less inclined to buy something when I can’t figure out what model names mean. 

That's why they are called Telecaster, Stratocaster and Jazz Bass.  Strats have 7.25" radius I guess people have been asking for vintage specs on MIM instruments hence the same "Vintera".  Sounds like something Ron Thorn thought up.

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

I think we said the same thing..that the '90s didn't suck for Fender.

I think you were perhaps in disagreement with Joshoowah?

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 10.48.05 AM.png

I agree with both you guys, actually - the 90s were good for Fender. I was being a little facetious and sarcastic. The only thing I didn't like about those guitars were the different sound and feel of the bridge, compared to a good vintage trem, but they were consistent, good quality, and I liked the TBX, too.

Figuring out the model name when buying used is a mess because features may slightly change, but they all look the same.  In the end a Fender will be priced on where it was made, USA, Mexico, or Japan.  Some people will identify features like different bridges or bridge saddles.  Pickups make a difference.  The idea of a blanket price like our running joke of $350 really would not be out of line for Fender products. 

26 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Figuring out the model name when buying used is a mess because features may slightly change, but they all look the same.  In the end a Fender will be priced on where it was made, USA, Mexico, or Japan.  Some people will identify features like different bridges or bridge saddles.  Pickups make a difference.  The idea of a blanket price like our running joke of $350 really would not be out of line for Fender products. 

This is true.  Constant change creates confusion in the used market, making a new guitar the safer choice.  Although Fender's website has a very good tool for pulling up model and specs using the serial number.

Archived