Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Studio Custom with Pickgard?

Is it just my imagination, or does that neck PU (or the ring, at least) look askew? No reason to redrill for those Phat Cats if it came with OEM hums, but if it came with soap bars, we know why they mounted that hideous black guard. Still, no excuse for ruining a beautiful guitar - should've had a competent tech do the mod/pu swap so no fuckups had to be hidden! If I'm wrong about the pickup ring's alignment, then there's just no acceptable explanation!

4 minutes ago, joshoowah said:

Is it just my imagination, or does that neck PU (or the ring, at least) look askew?

It does, now that you mention it. 
It hardly matters, though. They're asking $2,250 for a damaged $1,500 guitar.

🤮

7 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Who cares?  If you don't like it, don't buy it. 

Why do I care if a pretty girl is wearing a tight sweater if she isn't going to go home with me? I just do. I like looking at stuff I like.

Why do I care if someone fucked up a guitar? I like thinking about what I would, or wouldn't, do with the same situation. It's not "drama," just normal human nature. Guitars are like clothing -- functional, but sometimes also beautiful. And we all have our guitar fashion preferences, and this clashes with my aesthetic.

Fashion is all about looking at other people's choices and your visceral reaction to them. I would never put a pickguard on that guitar, just like I would never match my tie and pocket square, and frankly I think someone who does it looks like a rube whether I say so or not. You're perfectly fine doing it, I won't stop you. But if you do I'll still think you've done something stupid.

Since we're all in a safe space, dedicated to talking about guitars, where we love Hamers,  I think it's OK for us to criticize this particular choice.

10 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

Pick guards should not be mounted on figured wood, no matter the manufacturer.

I felt the same way when I took the pickguard off of my Gibson R8 thinking I shouldn't hide the wide flamey maple top. But the guitar looks better with it on.

This Hamer on the other hand is just wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

It has a Brazilian fretboard so it probably would be worth $2250.  But that pickguard is terrible.  There are a lot of rather large white marks on the back too.  I've always wanted a Brazilian studio but that one is depressing.

6 minutes ago, texwest said:

It has a Brazilian fretboard so it probably would be worth $2250.  But that pickguard is terrible.  There are a lot of rather large white marks on the back too.  I've always wanted a Brazilian studio but that one is depressing.

Hamer buyers don't care about Brazilian fretboards.  That's a Gear Page nerd fetish.  

On 7/6/2019 at 4:03 PM, kizanski said:

Hamer buyers don't care about Brazilian fretboards.  That's a Gear Page nerd fetish.

I was thinking the same thing!! I personally cannot tell the difference between the Brazilian and the Indian while playing. Now Ebony I can tell and it will always be my favorite!!  

Archived