Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer meets REM by way of Cheap Trick...

The Minus 5 (a side project of Peter Buck and Mike Mills from REM) played here in DC last night.  Thought this was a cool shot from the show - Mike Mills needed to grab a backup when his P-Bass crapped out...

CDC7569F-9487-4690-B50A-8E7AD88A3790.jpeg

7 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

The Minus 5 (a side project of Peter Buck and Mike Mills from REM) played here in DC last night.  Thought this was a cool shot from the show - Mike Mills needed to grab a backup when his P-Bass crapped out...

CDC7569F-9487-4690-B50A-8E7AD88A3790.jpeg

So cool! REM was always one of my favorites growing up in the 80s, and they still are!

Whilst discussing early REM records with a pal over lunch, I recommended that he go back carefully listen and follow Mike Mills' bass lines on those first three albums. He'd never really thought about what seemed obvious to me--that Mills' lines were the core melodic component of each tune. Wonder what he thinks about that 12er FB beyond its provenance.

9 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Is that the Tom Petersson/Jon Maye FB?

Indeed it is!  Local DC legends Dot-Dash opened, and that’s where the TP 8 string came from in a pinch.

14 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Whilst discussing early REM records with a pal over lunch, I recommended that he go back carefully listen and follow Mike Mills' bass lines on those first three albums. He'd never really thought about what seemed obvious to me--that Mills' lines were the core melodic component of each tune. Wonder what he thinks about that 12er FB beyond its provenance.

When the guitar player is that guy you better do something

7 hours ago, it's me HHB said:

When the guitar player is that guy you better do something

Oh POW!

Nobody whips an AC30 offstage like a wine-drunk Peter Buck:

13 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Indeed it is!  Local DC legends Dot-Dash opened, and that’s where the TP 8 string came from in a pinch.

Completely whiffed on it being an 8er instead of a 12er. <Doh!>

15 minutes ago, atomicwash said:

Last summer my wife and I supplied the amp back line for the Baseball Project in Madison. That was super cool (but no Hamer content).

bHOobzo.jpg?1

Looks like the 4321 Club!

Weren't some of the Wilco guys involved with Minus 5 at some point? Not sure if it was Jeff Tweedy or maybe the bass player. 

Anyway, huge REM fan. Michael Stipe is getting some songs ready for a solo release. Could be interesting to hear. 

I just saw an article on Peter Buck, he jumped on stage with an REM cover band. He's quite a character, he plays with some friends in a baseball related band (all songs about baseball i guess? Ha), says it's for fun, does'nt even like baseball! 

He's quite a character actually, seems in a good way, not too much ego there. Stores his gold records haphazardly in his closets. 

I think they opened for Wilco here and there (??) , but remember that Jon Auer from the Posies (one of my favorite bands to come out of the '90s) was one of the first guys in the project along with Buck.

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

I think they opened for Wilco here and there (??) , but remember that Jon Auer from the Posies (one of my favorite bands to come out of the '90s) was one of the first guys in the project along with Buck.

I checked wikipedia, apparently a few members have played over the years: 

Jay Bennet, Glen Kitchen and Leroy Bach. 

Archived