Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tell me about the HFC $350 buying/selling days

My deals were (in Germany) a Firebird FB II for €500 in 2002, a Chaparral Max Bass (maple body) for €650, a Chaparral Deluxe for €400 and a maple body Cali Elite for €720. All with original case. The time when you could get the 80's and 90's shredders for cheap here in Germany was in late 90's-early 2K. Many people just wanted to sell their FR guitars and didn't know what to make of the Hamer brand. Kramer's did sell for even cheaper. But since about 2012 the Hamer shredders demand higher prices here, but it doesn't seem easy to actually sell them for those prices. I don't look for any more Hamer instruments, as I already have those I always wanted. And I admit I am also a Fender player and would love one more guitar, the Acoustasonic Tele. There is a US Duotone in ebay Kleinanzeigen though...

I scored my Cruisebass 2-tek back in 2017 for $500 shipped...Fedex lost it and it was an adventure, but I do consider that a MAJOR score off CL. I love that bass.

It wasn't $350, but I remember a black FBIV with case in like new condition getting hit in under 60 seconds with a $400 Buy It Now on eBay...I literally watched it appear and disappear before my bid registered.

My second Hamer ever was my Chapparal. Mahogany body with set maple neck and rosewood neck with dots. H/S/S with a Floyd and the 3 mini toggles. $250. The caveat: it was completely stripped of all paint and smelled like smoke. Killer player but the short scale and smaller frets killed it for me. 

My ‘95 Special FM in Aztec gold with one of the best flame tops ever, got it for $500. Probably never should’ve let it go. Was a monster player. Found it on reverb about a month ago. It sold, not sure who bought it. Don’t think it was anyone here...

Bought my ‘94 surf green maple fingerboard Daytona in ‘99 off a Canadian guy on Harmony Central (‘member dem daze?) He was asking $400, i hemmed and hawed so he offered it for $375 shipped and I bit! (is that close enough to tree-fiddy?) In fact, my fiancé at the time (wife now) PAID for the guitar as a birthday present! Bone stock, VG+ condition, no case but gig bag and very well packed. Included the elusive Wilky term arm. Still have it (guitar AND trem arm). One of my all time favorites. I did buy a case for it (don’t care for gig bags).

I think the XT series killed the treefiddy area from the bottom. How could you create a great deal with having these next in the ads?

Bought a USA Centaura all original with original case for $230.   Probably around 2001 or so.  

Axe in Hand had Standard 0050 (with Bartolini pickups) for $1200 around 1992.   I was too broke to swing it so I bought the $500 dot neck Sunburst hanging next to it. 

On 6/28/2019 at 2:23 AM, Jakeboy said:

You know, one of you offered me a green Diablo for $350 in the last decade and like the dumbass that I am, I declined cause I ain't I to locking trems...WHAT THE HELL WAS WRONG WITH ME circa 2011??????

Yeah, WTF. You could just leave the trem unlocked. Didn't you think of that?

I joined the HFC around 2000, because I had just bought a USA Diablo off eBay for $210. I later got a diaperburst P90 Special here for $400, the thin-necked black '81 Special that Hellrider was later trying to eBay as "all original" for $350, and a Blitz Bass from Wylbill for $280.

Those days were real...

2 hours ago, Disturber said:

Yeah, WTF. You could just leave the trem unlocked. Didn't you think of that?

I said I was a dumbass....

Waaaaay back when (some of you old guys might remember), it was $250. It got bumped up to $350 with inflation.

My first Hamer ('81 Special) was $200 in '87. Still have it.  The second was a beautiful '94 Archtop Custom (Studio Custom nowadays) for $425 from a local music store, and that one brought me here looking for info. Great tone. Sold it here a few years later for around $800. The best deal was a Gary Moore Special w/ a headstock repair for $125. Traded it to Jay for some fret work on my Les Paul.

Twenty years ago a 'decent' deal would be considered stealing it now. Ah the good ol' days.....

I've found decent deals through recent years

My well-loved Daytona was $250 at the local mom and pop about 6 years ago

I paid somewhere in the 400s for my candy-apple sparkle cruisebass from GC 4-5 years ago

Some very great condition Specials in the 500s from Ebay 7-8 years ago

The Beatles Special came from Tom Terrific and went back to him at a similar price range in the last year

Those are modern-day treefiddy prices in my mind

I just picked this SB bridge Ugly Duckling up fairly recently for $180 + $10 shipping and she came with her original HSC case... ugly duckling yes, but she'll rip your frickin face off!..🤘 sorry, too much coffee 😆ZsWONes.png

I paid $250 for my SS 1 back around 2000 or so.  It's got tons of player's wear, but the neck joint is solid

and all the electronics work fine.  It does need a fret job, but only 3, 4 and 5.  Guess the previous

owner was a furious rhythm player.  I have played it live as is, but I hope to have it refreted some day...

I sure wish this guitar could tell its life story!

The closest I've never come to the "Notorious 350" was the laser Pearl yellow Blitz Road Warrior.

I thought it was a good deal until the shop called to tell me that the neck needed to be reset because it was separating from the body and probably should get frets.   UGH.

Love the guitar, so  that deal quickly got up-side-down fuglied.

• 5 months later...
On 6/28/2019 at 10:18 PM, cmatthes said:

It wasn't $350, but I remember a black FBIV with case in like new condition getting hit in under 60 seconds with a $400 Buy It Now on eBay...I literally watched it appear and disappear before my bid registered.

I bought this one Sunday morning for £375, eBay UK. 

I was just up early, it was a Buy It Now.  I just remember seeing it, my heart doing a little jump and then trying to work out whether it was genuine - I had an old Motley Crue book, there wasn't really much online; different knob configurations.  I pulled the trigger inside of 90 seconds of seeing it.

No case, so shipping was a worry, just arrived heavily bubblewrapped and was fine.  Just for the record, the stock Epiphone hard case fits beautifully.

hamer.jpg

Pic009.JPG

I bought this 1993 Diablo with the arena logo off of a park ranger living in cabin off of Craig's List for $350. It needed a refret, fret leveling, intonation, and I installed the Wylde USA L-500XL pickup. I didn't bond with the neck shape after playing it for a year and sold it off. 

1118021989822_1117165862080_IMG_9214.jpg.add835a110fd71c75e2672c6bc060667.jpg

I bought the '82 Cruisebass off of E-bay from an auction house for $350.00 plus shipping. It didn't come with a case and wasn't sure if it would survive the shipping. I paid extra shipping to send my bass case to the seller to send the bass back to me. This bass was rode hard and put away wet with all the chips/nicks/dings/finish coming off, worn out nut, and loose tuners. The serial number is stamped in ink and not imprinted in the wood like the later '90s or 2000 guitars/basses. I had a new nut installed, the action adjusted, and intonated. Plays & sounds great and I got the relicing for free courtesy of the previous owners. 

Guitar George

I have bought and sold more Hamers than I can even remember. The best deal I ever di was bought a like new Hamer Diablo for $225. Most of the time I just sold them to HFC'ers for what I paid for them. We all use to do that. Same was in the Jackson/Charvel forum. It was really fun.

Archived