Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Boss is on fire these days!

I always liked Boss in a kind of - yeah it gets the trick done but let me see if there's some more expensive option that is 7% better. 

My opinion is really starting to change! I've been rocking the Katana 100, really love it for dirt with my Barber Tone Press. (have to admit that the clean is nice, but doesn't blow me away). 

Other cool things: 

• did you guys see the 200 series? They have one for delay coming out, literally a week after I bought an old Vox delaylab! ha. Nice, but so so massively big
  • There's 200 series delay, overdrive and EQ. They are going for a middle ground between a normal boss stompbox and the crazy stuff like Strymon. 
  • the other item that's caught my eye/ear is their digital compressor, the CP1X, really nice! Got to try it out yesterday and I was mightily impressed

• 5 months later...

I've never played through one.  From the reviews I've seen it looks like a great unit and I'm sure it's built well.  I don't see anyone complaining about it.  I'd be infested in the head, but the 30 or 60W combo would probably be enough.  From a user point of view I don't understand  the Tone Capsule thing.  I'm guessing the user can't EQ in the same tones as the individual capsules.  So now the user has bought something like a DSP modeling amp and instead of turning the dial for the next amp, that person is paying $200 to access that patch.  There are a lot of DSP options out there.  I don't see myself pulling the trigger for any of them.  If I was a touring or recording musician I'd see some value for consistency, reliability and lighter weight compared to a regular valve amp.  I'm glad to see the majority of amp manufactures continue to R&D and improve this technology.  I think they've all arrived with this technology, and it's only going to get better.

Blues Cubes are shockingly good. I briefly played in a band using a Boss ME-50 into a Blues Cube and it was just fine. The drummer had played with some huge acts, and made a point to say how good it sounded. The stuff works fine and lasts... just isn't glamorous.

^^^That's pretty funny!

I have a DD-6 delay on my board, a BF-2 flanger on the shelf that's 40 years old, an old GT-3 that I gigged for about 5 years (and with the little Quilter box, it will see a revival) and a BC-2 Combo Drive that hasn't left the box yet. Never had trouble with any of them.

I have a MicroCube and sold a Cube 60, both are/were very good at what they do. The line out of the MicroCube into a bigger amp works surprisingly well. I really want to try a Katana (and the Yamaha THR series) but I'm pretty happy with what I have at the moment.

Boss gets slagged pretty bad most of the time, but they work pretty damn good, especially for the money.

About 90% of my pedalboard is Boss. The only pedal failure I have experienced in two years of bar gigs and rehearsals was an output jack on a TC Electronic boost. The Boss stuff just takes the abuse well and still sounds good. Now that I think about it, two of my Boss pedals were manufactured during the Reagan era. I'd say that's a strong endorsement.  

My evening band for years is a DR-880, Dr. Rhythm.  The sound is nice and it has plenty of interfaces like analog stereo out, SPDIF coax, USB, guitar in etc. works as a midi controller. The DD-7 is great too.

Being a tube amp amp head & cab/ combo amp snob, I sat in with a friend's cover band about a year ago using the one of the Katana combo amps onstage. I found it had a good usable tone in both clean & overdrive channels. Not as nice as the overdrive from my 2 channel tube amps, but good enough. If my gear was damaged or got stolen, I could borrow one of these amps and make it work for my cover band gig. I like to keep tabs on the latest solid state amps that are on the market though I'm happy with my Reverend Goblin & Kingsnake combo amps. 

Guitar George

Yeah, Boss has put out some great stuff over the last few years. Every update to the Katana (original) series opened up more functionality and some great sounds. And the Boss MS-3 is the core of my band rig (played through a Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 - which beats out the Katana for size/weight and the amazing direct out). I have a GT-1000 that I have not yet bonded with, but  mostly because I haven't had time to give it the attention it deserves.

Update:

I still like Boss stuff a lot! It was funny to see this thread get revived, I started it in the summer.

Yeah, so I still like Boss, but I ended up selling the Katana and went back to tubes. Bought a Garnet 20 watt amp. It's pretty similar to a Deluxe Reverb. I think it's from the 70s. Garnet is a Canadian company.

I still think the Katana is a great amp for rehearsals and shows, super light, powerful etc... But for playing at home for fun when I can be OCD and picky about the sound, I wanted to go back to tubes. I don't want to fight about it thought! ha. Solid state and modeling are still great options.

I would have like to keep the Katana, but we have limited space in the apartment so once I got the Garnet it was out the door.

Would love to get my hands on their new delay, the Boss DD 200.

Archived