Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
gtrdaddy

Richie Kotzen: All Along the Watchtower

Posted (edited)

Richie’s playing is so bad-ass!

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Like 3

He’s certainly a monster player and people are entitled to give their own flavour to whatever they decide to play, but some songs are just not the same when altered, even slightly.

I didn’t dislike it though. I just don’t get totally hooked by this performance. Hendrix is simply hard to cover credibly, specially when one tries to avoid imitating him. 

• Like 1

I like the girl 😆

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, zorrow said:

Dylan is simply hard to cover credibly, specially when one tries to avoid imitating him.

Fixed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I remember when he came out with his first album and I said to myself "god, I don't want to follow all those Mike Varney talents anymore". It had Steve Smith and Stu Hamm on it. But I  bought MacAlpine's album and even later that album of the M.A.R.S. Project. Didn't want to follow RACER X, I was just fed up with those technical skilled fast players at one point and fell back to my old listening habits, 70's music. Through Steve Vai I discovered Zappa and followed Zappa's music back to the early 70's. There was just enough 70's music for me to discover, I just wanted away from those technical speed players. When the 90's came, most of those Varney discoveries went back to the underground, YJM was YJM, and people like Paul Gilbert resurfaced with Mr. Big. Richie Kotzen joined Poison (never liked that band). And by the mid-90's all those speed players were forgotten. Fast forward to 2007, I catch up a video clip of RK on YouTube and... liked it! It was some of his solo stuff. Fast forward to 2012, I got the album of FLYING COLORS and me and my gf liked it so much, we went to see them live. I knew that Mike Portnoy always had several projects running, saw the announcement of his new project with Billy Sheehan and Richie Kotzen. I was remembered of that technically fast stuff from the 80's, especially with Billy Sheehan. They toured Germany, but I backed out. Finally I gave their album a listen and regretted that I missed them, as I really liked  their songs. In 2014, I saw that Richie Kotzen was touring in Germany. I gave his new album a listen, liked it and we went to see him live. In 2016, the Winery Dogs put out a 2nd album, I liked that even better than the first one, went to see them live. Then followed Kotzen's solo stuff too in 2017 and in 3 weeks we'll see him again... one of the few contemporary artists I like to listen to. He's also a great singer.

• Like 2

His latest tune is quite good:

• Like 2

He’s a monster player. Winery Dogs are a great act live. Über-talent!

• Like 3

I'd form a band around the chick.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

I'd form a band around the chick.

You can call it "Ritzy Cocks-in" 😉

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

You can call it "Ritzy Cocks-in" 😉

OK there, Mike Tythin...

• Haha 2

On 6/30/2019 at 10:38 AM, zorrow said:

He’s certainly a monster player and people are entitled to give their own flavour to whatever they decide to play, but some songs are just not the same when altered, even slightly.

I didn’t dislike it though. I just don’t get totally hooked by this performance. Hendrix is simply hard to cover credibly, specially when one tries to avoid imitating him. 

Hey buddy, you may like this version?  

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Jorge said:

Hey buddy, you may like this version?  

How is that making it their own version? They played all of Hendrix’s licks note for note!  No better than the an average bar band.

Edited by gtrdaddy

6 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

How is that making it their own version? They played all of Hendrix’s licks note for note!  No better than the an average bar band.

I think that's what he was getting at.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MCChris said:

I think that's what he was getting at.

Aw hell. I guess I forgot what @zorrow wrote and didn’t reread the thread.

Foot in mouth: take two.

• Like 1

The “girl” you guys are referring to is Richie’s wife, Julia. She plays bass in a few bands. I first saw her play with her main band, Kicking Harold, when they played here in CT a few years back. Really cool, gritty rock band from LA. IIRC, they were opening for Satch at the Ridgefield Playhouse. She’s gorgeous and a great player. 

• Like 1