Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Eminence Speaker Shoot Out.

For some reason yet again, I have rounded up more speakers for a shoot out. Doug and I are going to run a Private Jack, Red Fang, Ton Spotter, a newly acquired CV65.

I have had the Private Jack in my amp for a month, before switching to the Red Fang. Both used the same cone, but different magnets and slightly more doping on the Private Jack. Very similar in ton, but the Red Fang being slightly warmer, looser feel, yet like some alnico's it retains a good bit of chime. 

I just switched out the Red Fang, but I'm a huge fan of the Celestion 1265 and I fight very hard not to use that speaker in every amp that I get. I had a vintage 1265, and the WGS ET65 hit the nail on the head. But when it comes to Eminence, it appears that everyone talks about the Tone Spotter, since Robbin Ford was spotted using it at one time. He commented in an online gear review that it was short lived and used it when he was running out of replacement cones for the 1265 and Celestion reissued the 1265 and fell short. Now, i have one here, but have not tried it, but I was very interested in the CV65 and nobody was saying it was a 1265 and the reviews were luke warm. After about 5 seconds of having it in my amp, I can tell you without hesitation, its does indeed have that 1265 Flavor. They are also on sale from Eminence for under $99. I'm not sure why its not getting more love, but it will be a fight to get it out of my amp. 

Now what amp do I have it in? That reveal will be for another day, it is an amp that I have owned before. (Short list LOL )

https://reverb.com/item/19251062-eminence-cv-65-12-guitar-speaker

The Eminence CV-65 is relatively new, and is the slightly lower power / smaller magnet version of the CV-75. (CV stands for Ceramic Vintage). I think the CV-75 came out in 2014, and the CV-65 was announced in 2016?

The CV-75 in general is a lot easier to find. It's a standard stock item for most of the big companies, while the CV-65 is unlisted, or a special order item.

" As compared to the 75 watt model, the 65 watt CV-65 is more round and full in the lows, less aggressive in the mids, and is more focused and articulate on the highs. "

Maybe everyone just goes for the 75 watt model?

@tbonesullivan, I think that it was not marketed correctly. Emi is moving them out at $99. and taken them off the website. I would say that equals discontinued. The CV75 is a great Hard Rock/ Metal Head Speaker, it loves gain, and is a favorite for guitarist here in the Peoria Area. 

@DaveH All speakers I purchased used, 3 of 4 came from the same seller that wanted them off his shelf. The CV65 came from a separate seller, but in the same condition with low hours. 

I'll get the cab dimensions later, the power was out last night just after I go home.So I could not write this up last night. Amp used was a Budda SD30 through the clean channel opened up to a nice crunchy break up, Tele straight and a real 1960 Les Paul Special. EQ on the amp B 9 0'clock, M 12 0'clock, H 12 0'clock. 

Tone Spotter: For a large wattage, stiff speaker with lots of doping it still have character. Tones of headroom and it doesn't break up, if you want a very balanced speaker that isn't dark and flat sounding this is a great speaker. I would say if you looking to do Jerry Garcia, Phish or anything that you want to really loud and clean this is the speaker. 

Private Jack: Bright, Balanced, British Breakup but without a narrow mid range. A great Rock N Roll Speaker, Blues, Country. 

Red Fang: A lot of peoples favorite for good reason. Super similar to the Private Jack but more depth and character. Great Balance, Medium Break up, not too fast but not stiff. 

NOTE: We have two identical Cabinets so we ran a PJ and a RF next to each other on at the same time. This would be a killer combination in a 2x12 or a pair of 1x12 cabs. Really the best of both worlds. 

CV65: My personal favorite for my newly acquired amp. Yes a little less bright, more bottom, slightly rolled off top, but still a very balanced speaker. Still not super smoothed out, it still has some teeth, loves to be push, but sweetens up when you roll off the volume. 

All in All, we were impressed that that none of the speakers were repulsive, sterile turds. The Tone Spotter does a specific thing that it does super well. The others could be used in multiple applications, depending on the amp. 

Next up will be an amp review, then a pedal review of some of the pedals that have come in and some that are For Sale. Lots of interesting things that we found sitting in a control room with beer and a lot of time. LOL 

I have several discontinued Eminence Drivers: Black Powders and Blue Tick Hound. All are great speakers, but it just depends on what sells, and what doesn't. Many eminence fans love the speakers with the huge headroom, so maybe the 65 watt was a bit too low powered? It is also kinda hard when you've got two speakers with almost identical names, the CV-75 and CV-65, and trying to get people to care about both may have been an issue.

I still see the CV-65 listed on the eminence website though, so maybe all hope is not lost.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

I have several discontinued Eminence Drivers: Black Powders and Blue Tick Hound. All are great speakers, but it just depends on what sells, and what doesn't. Many eminence fans love the speakers with the huge headroom, so maybe the 65 watt was a bit too low powered? It is also kinda hard when you've got two speakers with almost identical names, the CV-75 and CV-65, and trying to get people to care about both may have been an issue.

I still see the CV-65 listed on the eminence website though, so maybe all hope is not lost.

Both of those, i've wanted to try. The Black Powder, I've hear some great reviews. I have no personal experience with either of those offerings. 

I think the Red Fang is one that would surprise everyone who doesn't really dig an alnico mag speaker. 

6 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Both of those, i've wanted to try. The Black Powder, I've hear some great reviews. I have no personal experience with either of those offerings. 

I think the Red Fang is one that would surprise everyone who doesn't really dig an alnico mag speaker. 

I originally put one Black Powder and the Blue Tick Hound into my Carvin MTS combo, in a (probably futile) effort to get a better overdrive sound. Then I had a Vintage 16 as well, and put the blue tick hound in that, where it does very nicely, and got another black powder for the MTS combo.  Right now I don't even know where the MTS combo is exactly, but I Should probably start playing it again to see if I can actually get a decent sound out of it.

The CV-75 I have is replacing a Celestion G12T-85 in my Rivera R55-12. It's just to sterile of a speaker for me.

Somehow I've ended up with Eminence in every amp I own. 

Crate Club 20 with a Texas Heat

Budda with a Budda Phat 12 by Eminence

VAC25 with RC x2

Princeton with RC

Mystery Amp with a CV65

I'm going to break down and get a 2x12 with a convertible back for the RF Alnico and Private Jack. I'll have to search around for someone to make me a Feiten Compact 2x12. 

As Bubs knows, the Red Fang is my fave speaker ever. It works well with ANY amp. It does break up earlier than say an EV SRO alnico, But it is such a pleasing, chimey break up and I have never been able to make the Fang collapse on itself like the old Jensen alnico will if pushed too hard. Loves a Vox circuit, Marshall, tweed, Brown blonde or Black Fender.

I have other speakers I love  for particular applications, but I could be perfectly happy usin just the Red Fang. I dig big alnico!

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

The Red Fang correct?

Yes. I had a Private Jack in the amp before the Fang, and when I switch it was ever so slightly softer around the edges, but still retain most of the punch. Which is what the amps needed, a little less edge. I think the only reason I switch to the CV was that I was really liking what I was hearing with the Rajin Cagin in my other amps. So I tried the CV for a little darker tone, without taking away the good attributes of the amp. 

Archived