Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
gtrdaddy

All Things Must Pass: A Tour De Force

I was going to put this under What’s Spinning, but thought, this album deserves its own thread. It is a masterpiece performed by a world-class band assembled with members made up of pure rock royalty. If you’ve never listened to it in its entirety from side one through six, you owe it to yourself! Grab a copy, a beer and indulge.

6B081929-A183-4E0F-B278-3EBCD135479B.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Album Credits:

Percussion and Drums alone are worth the price of admission!

762ADED8-DCF8-489D-986F-CA9431075156.jpeg

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

Yeppers, a solid (albeit voluminous) effort all around. Badfinger doesn't get full credit for what they did, but it's not their record, is it?

Been trying to find a decent vinyl copy, but they've mostly been chewed-up, expensive or both. Amazon has a 180g reissue for $54 so I may include that in a future order.

Edited by RobB
  • Like 1

It's been in my collection for years. Excellent especially with headphones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rugby1970 said:

It's been in my collection for years. Excellent especially with headphones.

Was always my approach-to-land soundtrack when coming down from many a college daze acid trip. Goes well with the sun reflecting across San Francisco Bay as it rises over the golden hills of Contra Costa County.

Not that I condone that kind of introspection. I mean, BEHAVIOR

• Like 3

Thanks for turning me on to this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is a great album. I wish I could tell who was playing what on each song though. Harrison played all over some Badfinger albums too.

I can pick out Harrison on slide  easily enough... Was there ever a more melodic slide player?. On slide he sounded like no one else.

Edited by Jakeboy
  • Like 1

I'm a huge Beatles fan and I've literally never heard this.  The next day I work at home I'll be sure to stream it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Harrison started demoing these songs in 1968. The Beatles rejected a good majority of them, which left GH with a ton of material for his first solo record. Seems like releasing a 3lp set was a bit of a, "eff-you", to John and Paul, no?

Edited by RobB
  • Like 3

One of the best recordings of all time.....................I bought it new when it came out and have the 2 CD box set also. Marvelous!:wub:

• Like 2

Agreed... great stuff

• Like 1

And thanks Jamie, now you've got me digging out all my old Beatles and various related solo albums out for a listen ... classic greatness indeed!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The instrumental version of "What is Life" on the new Re-Issue is flipping FANTASTIC! One of my favorite songs of all time and the instrumental/alternate version sounds sooooo good!

Edited by zenmindbeginner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Peter Frampton is on there somewhere, uncredited.

I wanna think someone else participated but was uncredited as well.

Anybody recall anything about these appearances?

Edited by Willie G. Moseley
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

One of my personal favs from the LP.:)                    

Edited by ARM OF HAMER
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Peter Frampton is on there somewhere, uncredited.

I wanna someone else participated but was uncredited as well.

Anybody recall anything about these appearances?

As I recall the story, Frampton and Harrison were friends, and a mutual friend working on the project asked Peter if he’d come to Abbey Road and sit in with George as a studio musician, play the parts George wanted him to play, and record their respective parts together to cut the studio time in half instead of George having to play and record everything. It was like a half dozen songs or so, mostly acoustic guitars if I recall correctly. 

Edited by gtrdaddy

Posted (edited)

One of the greatest albums ever. Been listening to it since it was released... late 1970

Been listening constantly, at least once a year, for 48 years...go figure!!

:wub:

Was it the first 3-LP set (of pop/rock music)?

(PS Not listening to the improvised last tracks of course....the ones on Lp no 3,  no-one does that, I guess..)

Edited by Sentinel
  • Like 2

By the late '60s George had proven himself the equal, or even better, of a songwriter than Lennon or McCartney.  This album just put the icing on the cake...  One of the all-time greats and never really seems to get his due.  It's funny how he only got the chance to put a one or two songs on each Beatles record, but when you hear the list of the greatest Beatles songs of all-time his always rise to the top of the list (Something, Here Comes the Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Taxman, etc.)  As I've grown older George has become my favorite of all the Beatles!👍

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, GuitarGuy65 said:

By the late '60s George had proven himself the equal, or even better, of a songwriter than Lennon or McCartney.  This album just put the icing on the cake...  One of the all-time greats and never really seems to get his due.  It's funny how he only got the chance to put a one or two songs on each Beatles record, but when you hear the list of the greatest Beatles songs of all-time his always rise to the top of the list (Something, Here Comes the Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Taxman, etc.)  As I've grown older George has become my favorite of all the Beatles!👍

I couldn’t pick between George and Paul. McCartney’s body of work is extremely impressive. They are both great composers! 

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Like 4

While it isn’t one of my top 10 I’ve always enjoyed the album. I wish the Beatles would of recorded more with Billy Preston. He seemed to reenergize them and he contributed some tasty stuff in the little time they did work together.

• Like 2

Although I love the album, George in that time period (and after) was just so coked out that a lot of his objectivity was lost for textures (and tempos). It's part of the sound of the album for sure  - but it feels and sounds (to me)  like a race-car that's been run on nitrous.... You get a good sense of this when you watch the documentary Scorsese produced. There just wasn't a lot of joy here, and I feel aesthetically George somehow got detached from the Animus - that it was more Anima and represents George as a fractured self lost from the feminine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dasein said:

Although I love the album, George in that time period (and after) was just so coked out that a lot of his objectivity was lost for textures (and tempos). It's part of the sound of the album for sure  - but it feels and sounds (to me)  like a race-car that's been run on nitrous.... You get a good sense of this when you watch the documentary Scorsese produced. There just wasn't a lot of joy here, and I feel aesthetically George somehow got detached from the Animus - that it was more Anima and represents George as a fractured self lost from the feminine.

Who let this guy in here?

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks gtrdaddy for putting in this.

It is a great album.

Always ben a fan of all The Beatles work, and also of John Lennon solo, Paul McCartney solo (or with Wings), and George Harrison.

Other George Harrison albums I like are "Concert for Bangla Desh", "Live in Japan", and also "Cloud 9".

Gabe 😀

Edited by Gabe
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Thanks gtrdaddy for putting in this.

It is a great album.

Always ben a fan of all The Beatles work, and also of John Lennon solo, Paul McCartney solo (or with Wings), and George Harrison.

Other George Harrison albums I like are "Concert for Bangla Desh", "Live in Japan", and also "Cloud 9".

Gabe 😀

I also like Somewhere in England a lot too! Live in Japan is a fantastic live album, complete with Eric Clapton and a killer band to back them up!

• Like 1

It's a great "work".  WORJ in Orlando used to play it on Sunday nights all the way through. 

I'd stop short, however, of comparing George's compositions to Lennon and McCartney.  That's a reach.  I'm just sayin'.

• Like 1