Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1995 Hamer Studio Bridge Question

I've owned a few of the mid-90s Studios, always with wraptails, progressively looking for nicer examples. 

I've fitted two of those with the Tonepros VTNA smooth Aluminium wraparounds. These seem to ring a little brighter than the compensated Wilkinsons, but otherwise be just as lively. I've seen them marketed as having more overtones, which could be what it is, as the strings must move more against the metal as they vibrate. Intonation seems good enough, though the high bass strings can be difficult to get right.

I mean at some point to try one of the fully adjustable wraparounds, probably the Tonepros AVT2G, which I had on a Giffin guitar at one stage. It was a darker sounding guitar (all P90/BLackLimba growliness), so I'm not sure what contribution the bridge made. 

(Semi-relatedly, the other usual upgrade is BKPs, either Mules or BlueNote humbuckers sized 90s. They sound astounding in these guitars. Being in the UK, they'll happily make the Mules in Hamer-correct zebra-and-double-cream colour scheme. This photo is with some jazzy sounding Lollars: 

artist.jpg.6d3be5a850f5bee9ec6e03ef32efb02d.jpg.) 

10 hours ago, Kalessin said:

I've owned a few of the mid-90s Studios, always with wraptails, progressively looking for nicer examples. 

I've fitted two of those with the Tonepros VTNA smooth Aluminium wraparounds. These seem to ring a little brighter than the compensated Wilkinsons, but otherwise be just as lively. I've seen them marketed as having more overtones, which could be what it is, as the strings must move more against the metal as they vibrate. Intonation seems good enough, though the high bass strings can be difficult to get right.

I mean at some point to try one of the fully adjustable wraparounds, probably the Tonepros AVT2G, which I had on a Giffin guitar at one stage. It was a darker sounding guitar (all P90/BLackLimba growliness), so I'm not sure what contribution the bridge made. 

(Semi-relatedly, the other usual upgrade is BKPs, either Mules or BlueNote humbuckers sized 90s. They sound astounding in these guitars. Being in the UK, they'll happily make the Mules in Hamer-correct zebra-and-double-cream colour scheme. This photo is with some jazzy sounding Lollars: 

artist.jpg.6d3be5a850f5bee9ec6e03ef32efb02d.jpg.) 

Great info and beautiful guitar!!  Thanks!!

Archived