Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Advice Requested: 1993 Hamer "Special" P-90

I love slim necks and the special on Reverb is so tempting. I'd been told something about some years having thick necks, not for me. I'm so indebt or I'd grab the '91 on reverb; I don't think it will be around. One shop in Houston sold these guitars new for about $600 when they were new.

OOps, I just checked and it's been there for a month; it would be nice if the seller went down.These days so many people sell guitars without a case,, but not USA Hamers from what I've seem. I'm short one Hamer case due to rats.

You guys have been a bad influence in me; I made what I thought was a lowball offer on Reverb for that red P90 special; they took my offer right away.  I haven't seen one in very good condition for condition $700 with case, $60.00 shipping. Everyone says that a 91 has the thin neck; I remember playing one back when they were new. A really good Korean guitar is $600 new so I think I did well. I am so far in debt now.

I did something like that recently when a member pointed an interesting guitar out to me. "Make an offer" so I made a cheap offer totally on a whim, expecting to be ignored, and they bit.  One of those deals too good to pass up, so I bought a guitar I hadn't meant to that I totally don't  need on the same theory. It's the price of a good Korean axe for vintage American built classic, etc...

I prefer HFC sales to finding ones in the wild. You're more likely to know exactly what you're getting here. So I assumed I'd have to fix stuff then move it along because because I'm looking for a different type of guitar all together, but what I got was so perfect you can't tell it's not new save for the pickup covers being slightly faded (they're nickle, after 20 years Seths will do that in the factory packaging). Now I'm stuck with it. It's too good a guitar to sell so I just keep playing it. Had to wait a few months to save for the guitar I  am actually looking for.

This place encourages that sort of irresponsible behavior, for certain.

1 hour ago, tubesrus said:

You guys have been a bad influence in me; I made what I thought was a lowball offer on Reverb for that red P90 special; they took my offer right away.  I haven't seen one in very good condition for condition $700 with case, $60.00 shipping. Everyone says that a 91 has the thin neck; I remember playing one back when they were new. A really good Korean guitar is $600 new so I think I did well. I am so far in debt now.

I've had two '91s, both interesting. A salmon blush sunburst and a shitburst P90 special. The necks on each were slightly slimmer than the "modern" profile from the mid-90s and 00s, not as small as a 4 digit or checkerboard special.  Smaller than my preferences (I like baseball bats -- Vintage profile for hamers is my favorite and my teles are vintage boatneck profiles) but I still found them comfortable to play and not fatiguing like some slender necks.

I bet that's a really cool guitar, especially for $700.

On 7/25/2019 at 11:11 PM, tubesrus said:

My Special is a 93 with a thinner neck.  Plays great though.  I was fortunate to snag it for around the same a couple years back.  Happy strumming!

The P-90 special has been slow to show up on UPS tracking; the store actually called to explain that it was due to a severe medical event. This guy is so decent; he offered to refund my money over a couple of little boo-boos, tiny stuff and I'm not a collector. The tracking says it will be here Friday but that's may be outdated; I'm like a kid counting the days till Christmas!  The main thing is I need to know when they load it onto their delivery truck so I can be alert and sign for it. They don't sell well in Houston; I took advantage of that when I bought my Koa topped Mirage.

On 7/30/2019 at 3:34 PM, tubesrus said:

The P-90 special has been slow to show up on UPS tracking; the store actually called to explain that it was due to a severe medical event. This guy is so decent; he offered to refund my money over a couple of little boo-boos, tiny stuff and I'm not a collector. The tracking says it will be here Friday but that's may be outdated; I'm like a kid counting the days till Christmas!  The main thing is I need to know when they load it onto their delivery truck so I can be alert and sign for it. They don't sell well in Houston; I took advantage of that when I bought my Koa topped Mirage.

Go to UPS.com and create a user account. Choose a name/password. Once registered, you can modify your shipments, including alerts on shipping progress, etc. I usually pick up packages at the terminal or a local UPS store. That way, you don't have to spend the whole day dicking around the house, waiting for delivery.

21 minutes ago, RobB said:

Go to UPS.com and create a user account. Choose a name/password. Once registered, you can modify your shipments, including alerts on shipping progress, etc. I usually pick up packages at the terminal or a local UPS store. That way, you don't have to spend the whole day dicking around the house, waiting for delivery.

I had some frustration with UPS, maybe it was the beer and I should try again.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:47 PM, Dave Scepter said:

I received the red P-90 special and I'm in a state of shock; this guitar could pass for new, it even has new strings. The truss rod is dead on but a couple of note are not ruiging out 100%, it needs the tiniest bit of leveling. I usually put tall frets on every guitar but the '92 neck makes bending easier. The owner plays out a lot but has other guitars. UPS came at noon, I can play a while and still work out at the pool.

Archived