Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Love/Hate Relationship

So, I've been looking at Telecasters for the past few weeks.  I do this every three or four years.  I always sell them and go in search later in the future.  I know this isn't something just I experience. 

What guitar do you buy and sell and then buy and sell again over and over?

This is a 2012 '58 American Vintage Telecaster.  The guy has been playing it for five years and he swears that it sitting on a stand in the sun through his bay window yellowed it naturally.  That and a couple of hundred bar gigs along the way.  I'm driving to pick it up tomorrow.  Safari!!!

TISUGu4.jpg

crCG9cA.jpg

6 minutes ago, The Shark said:

What guitar do you buy and sell and then buy and sell again over and over?

Les Pauls, I've been in search of “the one” for forty years. R8 & R9s the last twenty years.

Teles for me. Long time search, not really long term commitments. But I keep trying......

San Graal RW Tele2.jpg

Strangely enough, same thing with Strats UNTIL I found the perfect one. Strange because the guitar that met my concept of the perfect "Strat" ended up being a PRS 513. Well, call it a Strat Plus.....

PRS_513_Artist_Package_Orange_Fade 2.jpg

5 minutes ago, django49 said:

Strangely enough, same thing with Strats UNTIL I found the perfect one. Strange because the guitar that met my concept of the perfect "Strat" ended up being a PRS 513. Well, call it a Strat Plus.....

Same here!

CA8B69E2-592C-463C-B129-234072DBE644.jpeg01A32AF7-A9D3-4836-AA0C-CAD472D4343B.jpeg

I used to chase after LP Studios from the late '80's/early '90's, back when they still used one-piece mahogany backs and ebony for the fretboards...kind of a 'Poor Man's LP Custom' type of thing.  I got tired of their weight and the fact that I had to crank the volume to get the best out of them, and gravitated to Tele-style Partscasters.  They're kinda like every maker's/assembler's version of home cooking...some are good and stick to the original recipe, some are REALLY good while sticking to the original recipe and nail the Tele essence for me, and some get fancified in the build and most lose something in translation (my Cabronita P-90 Partscaster is the exception, as it just works for what it is, for me anyway).  And of course, a lot of them get slapped together, and play, sound, and look like it.  I quit chasing my tail trying to find the 'perfect' one anymore, and I've gotten a lot more pragmatic as I've gotten older.  If I like how it plays, how it sounds, how it feels, and how it looks, then I keep it.  I limit my shopping to 'window shopping' most of the time, but my days of 'buy and try' are pretty much over.

I've owned several ES-335s over the years, even a Robin Savoy (which is a very similar body shape), but they just don't feel right to me.
I also keep buying Hamer Prototypes from 1980/1981 hoping I'll get one with a medium-to-large neck, but it hasn't happened.

In short, I'm not a quick study.

Strats period. The location of the volume knob is my first pet peeve.  I also don't like pick guards.  It's kind of odd because some of my favorite players play strats.

For me it's both teles and strats. Love them playing clean but kinda wimpy playing with overdrive/distortion. There was one that I liked, a buddy of mine had a tele with a think it was called a "oil can" taper, or pot or something? Basically rolled off some highs and boosted mids I think. 

Maybe I should split the difference between humbuckers and single coils and grab something with p-90s or maybe filtertrons. 

I cannot bear redundancy with my gear....so for me it is p90s. Slapping that HB sized Rumpel p90 in the bridge of my Newport transform d the guitar and it now fits that bill perfectly. So my Mississippi made Peavey Firenza is now for sale...,gotta fund that second Shishkov.

2 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

You might be a little short on Shishkov funds after selling the Firenza. 😟

Hahahaha! You think?

Sold a tele type already, the Firenza, and my Strat are on the block too. I am in save up mode.

While I have an ongoing Love/Hate relationship with a couple of my guitars, I have never sold one only to buy one again later hoping for a different result. Out of all the guitars that I have owned, I have only gotten rid of one because I just couldn't bond with it. There are 4 or 5 others that ended up being trade-ups for something better. I have never sold off any guitar that I purchased new. 

I’m that way with all guitars... I alway’s find something I like better for a while... my 60’s strat has stayed the longest... that’s probly because my son has it...

Stratocaster for me, I buy them, tear them down, put all kinds of money in them and in the end sell them. I have had a couple of amazing Daytona's and a Killer 80's MIJ Standard, they were the top of the heap but I still sold them. 

I've been pretty surprised the LP has made it this long. I bought a good one, I waited a long time to get one that was aged the real way, from a good year, and at a good weight. Yet it doesn't get played much. I will grab a Tele or my LP Special 9 out of 10 times. 

12 hours ago, cynic said:

LPs for me.  It's not that I don't get along with them, but that they sell faster than anything else when something else catches my eye.

Yeah, you can always sell a Les Paul quickly, and they are the one guitar that doesn't really lose value. (well maybe not one, but you know what i mean.)

On 7/1/2019 at 6:42 AM, kizanski said:

I've owned several ES-335s over the years, even a Robin Savoy (which is a very similar body shape), but they just don't feel right to me.

My affliction as well.

Any PRS, the McCarty is the only model i have ever connected with at all, even then the 90-mid 2000's McCarty still feel & play different then then model new models. PRS have outstanding build quality & most look damn fine, but just don't like how they play or sound. I've had several over the years , after I sold off the last one i decided they were not for me. 

Archived