Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Let’s talk SHIPPING CHARGES!!

I’m kinda floored by the increased shipping cost’s lately. I thought it was high before but it’s taken a jump again. I also noticed that shipping out of Nashville price wise was different than Sioux Falls SD. 

What do you folks do for shipping to keep costs down? Who’s got the best rates? I shipped a guitar out of Nashville to Austin Tx and it cost $120.00 FedEx. I’ve shipped several after that out of Sioux Falls to all over the USA and the most expensive was $92.00 with FedEx for a Precision Bass. 

Also while I’m on the subject I always ship with what I thought was insurance. The person told me at the FedEx counter that it is NOT insurance but a declared value. So why am I paying more if it’s not insurance?? Never had a claim so hopefully those who have had the misfortune of filing a shipping claim can explain the declared value vs insurance part. Thanks!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

What do you folks do for shipping to keep costs down? Who’s got the best rates? I shipped a guitar out of Nashville to Austin Tx and it cost $120.00 FedEx. I

I always go the the terminal instead of UPS Store of FedEx office. Usually shaves about $15-20 bucks off a guitar shipment.

13 minutes ago, RobB said:

I always go the the terminal instead of UPS Store of FedEx office. Usually shaves about $15-20 bucks off a guitar shipment.

You don't create and print the shipping label online?

I’m going to compare Reverbs shipping to FedEx on an Identical PA speaker I shipped today to see if theirs is less expensive. I’ll post the difference! 

1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

I’m going to compare Reverbs shipping to FedEx on an Identical PA speaker I shipped today to see if theirs is less expensive. I’ll post the difference! 

Yes please do... I've also noticed a major spike in shipping cost and I primarily ship via FedEx where I have an account & save "10%" by creating and printing the shipping label online

Not to muddy the waters, but has anyone purchased guitar shipping boxes from ULINE lately?
Do they come with guitars already in them, FFS?

They can only be purchased in quantities of 5.  Of course I only need 6 boxes, so fuk me.
With shipping (oh, the irony of shipping empty boxes), the 10 boxes comes to $130.

Reverb/eBay fees, PayPal fees, shipping fees (again)...

I should just throw these guitar out into the street.

38 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Not to muddy the waters, but has anyone purchased guitar shipping boxes from ULINE lately?
Do they come with guitars already in them, FFS?

They can only be purchased in quantities of 5.  Of course I only need 6 boxes, so fuk me.
With shipping (oh, the irony of shipping empty boxes), the 10 boxes comes to $130.

Reverb/eBay fees, PayPal fees, shipping fees (again)...

I should just throw these guitar out into the street.

https://reverb.com/item/92938-3-pack-boxes-reverb-guitar-and-keyboard-box-fits-most-sizes       or

https://reverb.com/item/10463186-3-pack-boxes-guitar-keyboard-shipping-box-moving-storage-mailing-heavy-duty-18-x-6-x-45

I have a FedEx account number now too. Recently had a package shipped to me that the seller got a rate of over $90 for. I sent them a label using my account. Got the bill a couple weeks later and it was like $63. It's definitely worth doing as long as you're not one of those people whose credit card is always maxed.

Ok... Here’s todays FedEx charges Vs Reverbs shipping calculator. Note UPS with Reverb is $27.00 compared to $72.42 FedEx. 

B42870B2-AADB-47DA-A7B1-53FAF9F1E392.jpeg

FBA4765E-99BE-427E-A543-300B04A9DCF1.png

Interesting. I almost never run across a lower rate with UPS. What it's showing there looks like a mistake almost. Could have to do with dimensions more than weight sometimes also. Different shippers have different points where dimensional weight kicks in, and that never seems to be totally clear.

I have both a UPS and a Fed Ex business account. I checked the difference a few months ago and what I found was shipping a guitar from central VA to south FL  cost me $62 if I drop it dropped it off at Fed Ex. It was $68 if they picked it up. If I used Fed Ex as a non-account holder and dropped it off at FED EX, it was $79. I called a FED-EX “Office Store” franchise and gave weight, dimensions and destination and got a quote of over a hundred bucks, I think they told me $106.

UPS was slightly higher across the board by a few dollars, but the UPS store was a total screwing, they quoted me $118! Completely outrageous. Those franchise stores are thieves.

After some research, Reverb has swung some kind of shipping volume deal with UPS decreasing the cost significantly compared to an individual shipper.

2 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

After some research, Reverb has swung some kind of shipping volume deal with UPS decreasing the cost significantly compared to an individual shipper.

Did you get an estimate on the cost of insurance or "Reverb protection?"

I’m shipping with Reverb from here on out!! I would have not believed the difference until I just proved it to myself....

6 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Did you get an estimate on the cost of insurance or "Reverb protection?"

I did not apply that. Great thought!!! Now I have to find where that is on Reverb.

Find a business with daily pickups and see if they'll ship for you. I ship UPS from work and it's substantially less than any other way I've found.

Reverb handles claims quickly and easily and their insurance combined with their shipping is probably close to half of what you'll find anywhere else.  

It's a no brainer.

Reverb boxes?  Nope.  They fold them in half to ship.  I throw away boxes when they fold.  

Last week I shipped a guitar from Atlanta to Wisconsin USPS Priority for about $40 with insurance for $1800 and it arrived safely and on time. Also shipped one to Sheffield, England for $120. I prefer USPS.

15 minutes ago, polara said:

Last week I shipped a guitar from Atlanta to Wisconsin USPS Priority for about $40 with insurance for $1800 and it arrived safely and on time. Also shipped one to Sheffield, England for $120. I prefer USPS.

I know every shipper has issues, but God forbid you wind up with a broken guitar with USPS. You will never get resolution. I speak from experience. 

Archived