Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 2009 Fender CS NOS '63 Maple Cap Tele At DGS

No affiliation.  Has dings and chips from actually being used, so it's not 'NOS' anymore.  Still has it's certificate, FWIW:

https://davesguitar.com/products/fender-custom-shop/63-nos-maple-cap-tele-09/

Edited to add:  FYI, 'Maple Cap' is referring to the fretboard, NOT the body...back in the '60's, Fender was getting requests for maple necked Teles instead of rosewood, like those made in the 'old days', so a 'maple cap' fretboard was made available for special order back then.

7 minutes ago, atomicwash said:

I WANT THAT NECK!  .86 is almost a big neck.

My brown Partscaster has a Musikraft neck measuring .83" and .92" (vs. .86" and .94" for the '63 CS RI), the spec sheet for my guitar calls it a 'Medium C' shape.  It's kind of a 'Goldilocks' neck IMO, not slim but not too big either.  If it was the only sized neck I could get, I could live with it, and the extra fractions of an inch on the '63  wouldn't hurt..

Wha? What IS that thing? Is the maple cap on the body, or the neck?

Anyway, I think the "NOS" is what Fender called it. It was their attempt at the VOS crap that Gibson was doing. So when it was "new", it was supposed to look "NOS".

9 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Anyway, I think the "NOS" is what Fender called it. It was their attempt at the VOS crap that Gibson was doing. So when it was "new", it was supposed to look "NOS".

Fender was doing NOS in the ‘90s before Gibson started VOS. 😉

4 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Fender was doing NOS in the ‘90s before Gibson started VOS. 😉

Ahh... Ok. I can never keep it straight. I guess that's why Fender went "VOS". instead. Marketing stuff is lost on me.

48 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I added the factoid below to my first post on this string, in order to TRY to avoid any confusion:

15 hours ago, crunchee said:

Edited to add:  FYI, 'Maple Cap' is referring to the fretboard, NOT the body...back in the '60's, Fender was getting requests for maple necked Teles instead of rosewood, like those made in the 'old days', so a 'maple cap' fretboard was made available for special order back then.

Anybody remember the old MIJ '68 (sometimes they were called '67) Strat reissues, that Fender sold in the late '80's/early '90's, the ones with the wide headstock?  Those had a 'maple cap' neck.  They also had a really narrow neck width at the nut, and a basswood body.  I had a 3-color sunburst version, I didn't like the narrow nut, and I really didn't like the basswood body as it was way too easy to ding, MIJ or no MIJ.

27 minutes ago, crunchee said:

I added the factoid below to my first post on this string, in order to TRY to avoid any confusion:

Anybody remember the old MIJ '68 (sometimes they were called '67) Strat reissues, that Fender sold in the late '80's/early '90's, the ones with the wide headstock?  Those had a 'maple cap' neck.  They also had a really narrow neck width at the nut, and a basswood body.  I had a 3-color sunburst version, I didn't like the narrow nut, and I really didn't like the basswood body as it was way too easy to ding, MIJ or no MIJ.

Yes! I remember them well! I remember looking at the neck and thinking to myself

....heh?

....WTH?

....why?

PS: “Bob”, really likes his reverb 🤦‍♂️ 

7 hours ago, crunchee said:

AHH. Yeah also noticed the lack of a skunk stripe. I think my Fender tele is the only guitar I have with a skunk stripe. I've never understood why the rosewood fretboard Fender guitars still have them, but I guess so that they don't have to make the necks differently with regards to the truss rod.

Archived