Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Back To The 90's, Girlfriend!

5 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

So...which was your favorite Thomas narrator--Ringo, George Carlin, or Alec Baldwin? 😁

"Thomas was a cheeky little engine and always causing trouble!"

Ringo. 

Alec?  Ugh!

11 hours ago, Toadroller said:

"Thomas was a cheeky little engine and always causing trouble!"

Ringo. 

Alec?  Ugh!

Carlin or Ringo by a mile. 

22 hours ago, sonic1974 said:

Yeah, I loved Kombinator from Inbreds, Don't have any sense of time, what a tune! TUNS are cool for sure. I got to see a lot of those bands, some awesome shows!

I went through a long period where I wasn't listening to any new stuff. the last 2 or 3 months though I'm starting to get into newer stuff, and even newer sounding stuff, not just bands that sound like bands I used to listen to, ha.

Currently super into boygenius. Kinda mopey, but their songs built into cool moments.

This week is our big music festival in Ottawa, Bluesfest. Despite the name, it's actually more of an all around "anything goes" music fest, I have a pass for the whole festival, going to be awesome.

On Friday it's Jason Isbell (used to be in Drive By Truckers) I'm very excited, he's awesome live.

Check out PUP at Bluesfest! Between them and The Dirty Nil (who aren't playing Bluesfest) my favourite recent bands....such great balls to the wall, high energy punk-ish rock. 

There was tons of great music in the 90s, just like any decade, once you get past the headlines. 

If you liked that stuff, you seriously should check out my old band. Look for an album called The Big House of Time, by Anne Richmond Boston. It was produced by Brendan O’Brien and more rippin’ guitar solos, courtesy of Rob Gal (The Coolies). I joined on bass afterward so can take zero credit for it. It’s just a kick ass power pop disc that got good national buzz. 

Also check out Paul Melancon’s album. Camera Obscura. Rob produced that, and it’s like Matthew Sweet but Paul’s a better singer, and it’s a very ambitious album, with more dynamic and and arrangement variety than Sweet usually goes for. 

On 7/3/2019 at 1:00 PM, cmatthes said:

I posted a response to Mark's original post with links to 4-5 videos from various post-"Girlfriend" albums, but something must have glitched because I'm not seeing it now (??).

At any rate, I've been a big fan since the pre-release debut of that one, and have caught Matthew on every US tour since '93.  He's had lots of killer lead guitarists out with him (it's kind of been a rotating slot for a number of years), but my favorite of the more than a dozen he's had out with the band is Dennis Taylor.  The guy NAILS everything on "Girlfriend" - both the Lloyd and Quine parts, as well as the Greg Leisz steel parts.

Definitely check out YouTube for some of his heavier later stuff...

Is he the older guy who plays a gold top LP and just KILLS?

On 7/4/2019 at 2:52 PM, Sugartune said:

Check out PUP at Bluesfest! Between them and The Dirty Nil (who aren't playing Bluesfest) my favourite recent bands....such great balls to the wall, high energy punk-ish rock. 

Thanks for the tips! I just checked, Dirty Nil is actually playing the 12th: https://www.songkick.com/artists/3468641-dirty-nil/calendar

Checking them out online right now, little heavier than normal for me but sounds like a good pop/punk (in a non annoying way) so far. PUP! I was confusing them with a long last band CUB, who kinda sucked, ha. 

1 hour ago, Jakeboy said:

That was just awesome!

Sounds kinda like Cinnamon Girl but with a better singer. Actually a lot,  i think they totally stole that riff. (not putting them down).

8 hours ago, sonic1974 said:

Sounds kinda like Cinnamon Girl but with a better singer. Actually a lot,  i think they totally stole that riff. (not putting them down).

It’s a Neil Young cover :) so Neil ripped himself off. He was however credited on the album and when we played it live. 

https://genius.com/Neil-young-when-you-dance-i-can-really-love-lyrics

3 hours ago, polara said:

It’s a Neil Young cover :) so Neil ripped himself off. He was however credited on the album and when we played it live. 

https://genius.com/Neil-young-when-you-dance-i-can-really-love-lyrics

Oops! 🤣🤣🤣

Edit to add: is that your band? Sounds great,  I'll check out some more stuff.

My reading comprehension is shitty while skimming on my phone.  😱🤣

On 7/5/2019 at 10:44 AM, polara said:

Is he the older guy who plays a gold top LP and just KILLS?

I think that would have been Pete Philips.  I saw him twice on the “In Reverse” tour and the tour right after that in the early 2000s.  Sadly, he died in 2015 from organ failure brought on by years of alcohol abuse.   He also played with Velvet Crush and Yo La Tengo over the years.  

He looked a lot older, but died at 51.

Archived