Hamer Fan Club Message Center

RIP Robin Tolleson and BBD

After over 20  years of being a friend and bandmate of Rob's, I got the horrible news on June 21 that he had died at another gig of a massive heart attack. From what I hear he didnt suffer much and that is about all the good I can muster on the subject. We had a grand memorial service that nearly every musician in western NC attended where the amazing drummer and person Jeff Sipe played Rob's parts. Rob was also an internationally recognized author most notably w Modern Drummer but he wrote a Guitar Player piece on Martin Barre years ago and recognized my Hamer right off the bat! To say it was brutal for me is an understatement. Thanks for indulging this as Big Block Dodge kinda grew up on the old HFC and just figured some would like to know. Not sure if I will ever play the material again but like Zeppelin, our band is over

HHB sorry for your loss.

Brian

Fond memories of hanging with BBD - the people in the band as well as the musicians -  at the Pour House and downtown in Charleston many, many years ago. Prayers and condolences, Bill and Jeff.

Very sad to hear, Bill. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. 

So sorry to hear, Bill.   Thinking of you and all the people in Robin's life, as that was way too early to leave the stage down here.

I've got a lot of driving to do over the next few days, so will cue up BBD and do a start-to-finish airing...

39 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Robin was always nice to me, and so easy to talk to.  This is sad. 

Yes, Big Block Dodge should end its performances, but keep Robin's music history alive. 

He really was much more than a musician.  He was a music historian.  Check out his interviews with big time musicians

Steve he always mentioned you anytime Greenville came up

Oh gosh. He was such a sweetheart of a guy. And so funny. If lives are measured by positive vibes generated (and they should be) he and his family and friends can celebrate a good life. I’m sorry for your shock, Bill. 

35 minutes ago, polara said:

Oh gosh. He was such a sweetheart of a guy. And so funny. If lives are measured by positive vibes generated (and they should be) he and his family and friends can celebrate a good life. I’m sorry for your shock, Bill. 

We are all still reeling that such a giving humble soul left so soon. Fuck the circle of life

2 hours ago, burningyen said:

My condolences, Bill. You guys were a great band, and it's good to know he was a great human being as well.

Ben he was the best. There are spots all over our town that are missing volunteers due to his single absence. Im still so bummed and really angry

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks all and Brooks in particular. Its a year 2 days ago. Covid cant hold a candle to the void that Rob and the band have left for me. Im jamming w a great rhythm section next wed. Maybe jam a few BBD. I dunno maybe just retire them

Archived