Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
crunchee

PSA: 1983 Hamer USA Sunburst at DGS

There is something about the pics that they post that is... I don't know...  Very distinct?   Like I just stumbled across this listing in Reverb, and called it as a "Dave's Guitar Shop" posting because they all have ... something.. about them.   I don't know if it's some magic trick they do with the lighting, or if there is a knob they can tweak in photoshop that makes the flame look "extra-flamey" or what.  

Cool guitar!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Dang it Man! That's sweet, but it ain't no tree-fiddy!

Exactly 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

There is something funky with the treble cutaway/binding near the neck.

Or is my monitor mis-adjusted?

Edited by Amplodyte
wrong word

3 minutes ago, Amplodyte said:

There is something funky with the bass cutaway/binding near the neck.

Or is my monitor mis-adjusted?

Not sure what you’re seeing. I’m on my iPhone, but can’t really see anything that stands out.

Maybe it is just my old eyes playing tricks, but I see a dip in that treble cutaway that I have never seen before. And once I see it, I cannot look away...

38080B-600x862.jpg

In 81 they took out extra material in the lower horn for more room. It does make a difference getting up to the upper frets. @Amplodyte

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, lang said:

There is something about the pics that they post that is... I don't know...  Very distinct?   Like I just stumbled across this listing in Reverb, and called it as a "Dave's Guitar Shop" posting because they all have ... something.. about them.   I don't know if it's some magic trick they do with the lighting, or if there is a knob they can tweak in photoshop that makes the flame look "extra-flamey" or what.  

Cool guitar!

They most likely use LAB mode, which, unlike RGB/CMYK divides tone (L) from color (AB), then you sharpen in L, but sometimes in AB as well, by channel. Classic "S" contrast curves in all modes can do the trick too, for certain images.

Let me add too, that it takes imagination, what is it, what can it be? I have used lighting options in photoshop that really make the shot a good solid picture, but mostly it's what color is this and what are the results I want. 99.99% of pictures, if you see a problem in part of a picture, it's everywhere in the picture. I rarely use masks in photo editing, they make the picture look fake in the end, the edges will butt against unadjusted parts and it's fake!! I asses photos then decide what to do, can I adjust a lot of this portion (free lunch!! Bernie Sanders would be proud!) without affecting other important areas? You'd be surprised. 

Arrr, remember kidz, you got 10 full channels to work with RGB CMYK LAB (or it's variants), I make duplicats of the original and look at each channel.

Edited by 0054
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 0054 said:

They most likely use LAB mode, which, unlike RGB/CMYK divides tone (L) from color (AB), then you sharpen in L, but sometimes in AB as well, by channel. Classic "S" contrast curves in all modes can do the trick too, for certain images.

I believe it’s more simple than that. They shoot in low light with a dark background. Extending exposure and bumping illumination (brightens brighter images before dark*background*)and tweaking brilliance, dropping contrast and black-point creates a very dramatic image of whatever your subject.

• Like 1

LOL, you could be right... but the LAB can be taught to any monkey and is a 30 second adjustment. I haven't bumped since using a black and white DS Screen horizontal camera, but you do risk hurting shadow or contrast (If memory serves) if you have a complex image, which some guitars might be both a high key or low key image. If DGS has a setup like that it covers alot of ground, but, nothing replaces hey, can this get better?

• Like 1

Dave's setup

There have clearly been changes since this was written, but I'd imagine the basics remain the same.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cynic said:

Dave's setup

There have clearly been changes since this was written, but I'd imagine the basics remain the same.

That is a great way to work, it's kind of putting a good foot forward and allowing you to edit (curves, damn you level people!) without going too far. I betcha they do like a quick curve to get it to pop (I love, in LAB shortening the AB Channels by 10 on each extreme (it's a minor tweak, as most of what you see in LAB is every color available) to give more saturation without changing contrast.
I do confess, I am at the tail end of a low end spectrum who is trying to create value at the last minute, and have no other options... so others may have more upstream experience.

Edited by 0054
  • Like 1