Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Yamaha THR10

I like my THR5. It has a lot of useful features, is easy to travel with and has software where you can save custom patches to your home computer. The controls are very interactive and it's easy to get good sounds out of it. 

The THR10 (as per the OP) has even more flexibility and sounds. While I feel the iRig has made the THR line a bit of a dinosaur, all of the various versions remain popular. Yamaha does not know how to make a bad product, it seems.

Hands down, the best true portable travel amp I've owned. I bought mine used via CL and will take it with me for the third straight year on the family beach vacation. If you like shopping local CL for guitars, it makes for the perfect parking-lot-meet-up demo amp.

Do they sound that good?

Yes, yes they do. Yamaha does not "half-a$$" anything. They really made a portable modelling amp that is incredibly versatile, and also sounds freaking awesome.

It's a great recording interface, and with the computer software you can mess with a lot of parameters.

Yes, they really are that good! Had one in my workshop a couple of years! Best mini transisitor amp on the market IMO and yes, they do sound like a tube amp...

So, what makes it great?

DG Stomp in a box? 

The weirdest versatile practice amp I own was a gift from Phoenix Steve. A GD Turser. Damn thing is faux wood and Brooks made it sound like Brian May

\Edit spelling  ~ and playing Funky Broadway right now

I've been pleased with my THR10X. though, at times, I hear it's transistor-y qualities. But for the most part, it sounds great. It's become my travel amp for vacations and is my go-to practice amp in the home office.

IMG_7887.jpg

You guys are making me have to break down and give it a try.

FWIW, I was in a jam class a few years back. One guy brought one and played his bass through it. We were not playing at high  (stage performance) sound levels, but high enough. And in a very large room with many other players. He sounded pretty damn good, IMO. Hard to believe he had two 3" speakers doing all that.

Yes, it is on order.....

The entire THR10 line is awesome and worth the money - NEW.   I bought mine used off CL and that made it a steal.   It looked brand new. 

TboneSullivan said it best in his post - Yamaha does not half-ass anything.

IMO - THE BEST small, bedroom/endtable practice amp out there.

13 hours ago, Boomerang~Junkie said:

The entire THR10 line is awesome and worth the money - NEW.   I bought mine used off CL and that made it a steal.   It looked brand new. 

TboneSullivan said it best in his post - Yamaha does not half-ass anything.

IMO - THE BEST small, bedroom/endtable practice amp out there.

I got the carrying case for it, and I have taken it to lessons for years now. I picked up a bunch of eneloop rechargeable batteries, so I don't have to plug it in. It lasts for a month or two of lessons before I need to recharge them. It's got a built-in Tuner, and it even has a tap tempo button for the delay effects.

If you get one, I would also recommend installing the computer software. It allows you to adjust some effects parameters that you can't do with the knobs alone.

Between the three versions, I went for the regular one, as I play everything from jazz to rock to early metal. It covers the most ground and made the most sense to me.

It also has quality construction. The guitar input jack looks to be a real metal jack. Even many higher end guitar amps use plastic input jacks these days.

For high gain stuff, it can even handle most metallica up through Master of Puppets. The EQ works well.

And of course there's the fact that they put orange LEDS inside, so when you turn it on, they slowly light up like tubes warming up.

Archived