Hamer Fan Club Message Center

KABOOM!!! Mind Blown. Mavis Stables We get By

I have bought a nice chunk of Ben Harpers catalog, but other than bits and pieces nothing has completely taken me over. Today after I listened to the WTF Podcast with Mavis Staples, I quickly looked up Mavis Staple/Ben Harper on Kimmel. Floored, so I looked up the album, Floored, purchased it and its OTW!

Wasn't that WTF interview great? Like - man alive - fantastic..... this is really good too. Why is anyone listening to Nicki Minaj or Cardi B when this is available? It's hip - it's cool -- it's sexy as all hell and smoulders like a fire about to erupt -- not bad considering it's Gospel/Blues and being sung by a woman that's nearly 80.

45 minutes ago, Dasein said:

Why is anyone listening to Nicki Minaj or Cardi B... 

Gospel/Blues being sung by a woman that's nearly 80.

Hahaha!.. I think you just answered your own question 😆

4 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Hahaha!.. I think you just answered your own question 😆

I was all wood listening to Mavis -- She'd get my whole stack of ones before either of the other two got a single from me no matter what they were doing on the pole.

We were front row for Mavis’ show opening for Joe Jackson a few years back.  Most amazingly, Stephen Colbert was on bass...  😆

C0622D9D-5018-427D-9216-9229534D3ECE.jpeg

• 1 month later...

In the summer of '73 I went to the Kool-sponsored "Jazz" Festival at Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium. The Staples Singers performed "Respect Yourself", and when Mavis took the lead vocal (about at 1:59 in), it seemed like the whole stadium stood up and danced.

Disclaimer: This is a different performance--different stadium, different year (1972 instead of 1973), but the vibe is near identical.

Wow, I really enjoyed that, so powerful.  I've just finished downloading the album tracks from you Tube but will be ordering the CD, they always sound better than MP4/MP3 whatever.  Wish I'd never ditched all my vinyl about 13 years ago but it's so heavy to move about. CDs are an acceptable compromise.

I have not heard this album yet, but I will pick it up. I've been a fan for many years, and of course the Staple Singers were a part of the soundtrack of my youth. I bought her 2006 CD, We'll Never Turn Back, when it came out and revisited the Staple Singers catalogue at that time as well. I  hadn't listened to her albums from the last decade though, until I read Jeff Tweedy's autobiography recently and realized that he was writing songs and producing albums for her. I've listened to most of her stuff since then, and I consider it all outstanding. Tweedy's album output with her includes:  You Are Not Alone, One True Vine and If All I Was Was Black. I also like Livin' On a High Note quite a lot as well.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll pick this one up too, and I'll have to give the interviews a listen.

Archived