Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Newport and Monaco

In my search for a Newport I saw that Hamer made a similar model in the Monaco but it's a singlecut and longer scale. How similar are they in sound? I've watched several nice Newport videos to get an idea of the guitars overall tone but I haven't been able to find any recording of the regular Monaco only the Elite and the Monaco III, is there anything out there I can listen to? What is everyone overall opinion of it?

I had both. They can sound similar, I prefered the Monaco because I prefer longer scale. I think the twangish tone of the phat cats / Newport and the long scale twang / Monaco almost make it a dead heat

Here is a Monaco w flatwounds tuned up a 1/2 step ( its a Les Paul thing I copied a Les and Mary performance from an old tv show, including the pointing lol)

14 hours ago, it's me HHB said:

I had both. They can sound similar, I prefered the Monaco because I prefer longer scale. I think the twangish tone of the phat cats / Newport and the long scale twang / Monaco almost make it a dead heat

Here is a Monaco w flatwounds tuned up a 1/2 step ( its a Les Paul thing I copied a Les and Mary performance from an old tv show, including the pointing lol)

First of all, thank you for sharing and fantastic playing! Thank you for the responses everyone, I wish I could pick up one of each but I'm just going to have to keep searching for the right one. Someone got lucky and scored a beautiful orange Newport on reverb that I was looking at. Going to have to stay alert for the next one.

I've always had Fender scale guitars until I got my Newport, but the shorter scale on that isn't all that noticeable to me. Unless one likes playing at the higher frets or has sausage fingers, I'm not sure why the shorter scale would bother one much. 

19 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Look up Keb Mo on YouTube. He often plays a Monaco III.

The Monaco III and the Newport are not that similar I think. The MIII is like a maximized strat mixed with a Gibson JR. It has fat tones from the neck pickup and can sound awesome for harder rock on the bridge pickup. Killer tones. It does not have the same clean tones as the Newport either. It always keeps a little grease under it's finger nails. I love the MIII, one of the best Hamer models ever. It covers just about everything, you can get so many sounds out of it. The Newport does much, but It's not so good for harder rock, as it is more bright. It was designed to do the Gretch thing, and it is what it does best. The Newport is great, but not nearly as much fun as an MIII. My 2 cents on the matter....

On 7/7/2019 at 3:40 AM, Disturber said:

The Monaco III and the Newport are not that similar I think. The MIII is like a maximized strat mixed with a Gibson JR. It has fat tones from the neck pickup and can sound awesome for harder rock on the bridge pickup. Killer tones. It does not have the same clean tones as the Newport either. It always keeps a little grease under it's finger nails. I love the MIII, one of the best Hamer models ever. It covers just about everything, you can get so many sounds out of it. The Newport does much, but It's not so good for harder rock, as it is more bright. It was designed to do the Gretch thing, and it is what it does best. The Newport is great, but not nearly as much fun as an MIII. My 2 cents on the matter....

The gold top Newport I had with TV Jones was a bad-ass guitar, but truthfully, the 'trons were just a shade too "polite" for my tastes. So, as someone who's two favorite guitars are Strats and SGs with P90s, I was excited when the stars seemingly aligned and I was able to sell my Newport to buy an MIII.

Then, my kid got sick and that money got spent. No regrets there, of course, but I sure regret missing out on that MIII because I doubt I'll be in the position to buy another one anytime soon.

You know I loved the Trons in my Artist, but they were too polite indeed in my Newport. The P90s bridge and fat single coil in the neck are much better....especially that P90 bridge

Archived