Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
Funky Chicken

Two inbound in the same week

So I bought a Gibson ES-Les Paul during the CME blowout of late 2017. Never bonded with it. Then my Shishkov arrived and it became clear that the Gibson was gonna go. 

I don’t mind trading with a reputable dealer, and I find that if you buy something right you can make a trade work pretty well. The Gibson is already at Dave’s and I have a new Rickenbacker 4003S in Mapleglo on its way. Traded even up so I virtually broke even on the Gibson.

So what do I do next? Back to CME for the July 4th sale. Fender MIJ Jazz Bass Fretless in 3 color sunburst “used, floor model” for under $650 shipped.

I’ve had the same two basses since 1998. I just doubled my bass count in a week and I’m still surfing around for a fretted Jazz Bass.

Stupid GAS.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Funky Chicken said:

I’ve had the same two basses since 1998. I just doubled my bass count in a week and I’m still surfing around for a fretted Jazz Bass.

Stupid GAS.

That's the way GAS goes...famine for TOO long, then BAM!  Feast time!  Congrats, and pics please!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats on the new bass! I love my 4003!!!!

(And if you don’t like the big cover on the bridge pickup, Pickguardian makes some nice replacement pieces to cover the hole left behind when you remove it.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kurt L said:

Congrats on the new bass! I love my 4003!!!!

(And if you don’t like the big cover on the bridge pickup, Pickguardian makes some nice replacement pieces to cover the hole left behind when you remove it.)

I’ve already been looking at options, but did not know that Pickguardian had a solution. Thanks for the help!

i had a 4001 as a kid for about a year but I sold it and got an Aria Pro II like John Taylor of Duran Duran. That was a great bass-wish I still had it.

33 minutes ago, Funky Chicken said:

I’ve already been looking at options, but did not know that Pickguardian had a solution. Thanks for the help!

i had a 4001 as a kid for about a year but I sold it and got an Aria Pro II like John Taylor of Duran Duran. That was a great bass-wish I still had it.

I found a few pics so you can see what the Pickguardian parts look like, and how my bass looks after the swap. The white plate that covers the hole is a little brighter than the Rickenbacker plastic, but most people would never notice. The second piece (the clear plate) is the pickup mount. All the holes lined up and the parts fit perfectly. The order and delivery went smoothly, though it was at least 5 years ago. 

I enjoy the bass much more with that big chrome piece gone. Hope you enjoy yours for many years to come! Post a few pics when it arrives!  

(And yeah, I'll bet that Aria was really nice!)

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Also, if you don't like the bridge on your 4003, you can always check out the solid Hipshot replacements.  I never cared much for the original Rick bridge, especially since the bridge base/tailpiece is hollow, and string tension can cause the end of the bridge base/tailpiece to lift away from the front of the bass slightly.  Back in the '80's, Rickenbacker actually added two extra screws in the tailpiece area, to prevent that from happening.  Why they discontinued using the two extra screws is a mystery to me.

Edited by crunchee
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, crunchee said:

Also, if you don't like the bridge on your 4003, you can always check out the solid Hipshot replacements.  I never cared much for the original Rick bridge, especially since the bridge base/tailpiece is hollow, and string tension can cause the end of the bridge base/tailpiece to lift away from the front of the bass slightly.  Back in the '80's, Rickenbacker actually added two extra screws in the tailpiece area, to prevent that from happening.  Why they discontinued using the two extra screws is a mystery to me.

Yeah, the bridge design is kinda messed up. I may swap it out someday, but for now I just regard it as part of the Ric charm! :blink:

• Like 1

Great. Now I can't get "In The Meantime" to stop playing on a loop in my head...

1 hour ago, joshoowah said:

Great. Now I can't get "In The Meantime" to stop playing on a loop in my head...

Man, I just love that song, the production and bassline!

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 9:01 PM, Kurt L said:

Yeah, the bridge design is kinda messed up. I may swap it out someday, but for now I just regard it as part of the Ric charm! :blink:

...or until it starts pulling up from the body, like so many do!

8 hours ago, cmatthes said:

...or until it starts pulling up from the body, like so many do!

I have owned multiple Rickenbacker instruments. They are kinda like the hot girl with issues that you know you should stay away from but they make it really difficult for you to do so.......

• Like 1

So they both arrived and I left the day after for a week's vacation at my in-laws place. Did not bring them.

First impressions-

The Rickenbacker is on the light side (good). Felt really good to strap on-plugged it in and there it was. Not sure how I went all this time without having one around the house considering 

Squire and Lee are my biggest bass influences. I need to get the cover off the treble pickup and install the bezel I bought from the Rickenbacker boutique when I get home.

The Jazz bass will be a great solution for having a fretless without having a lot of money tied up in one. If I trip over a really nice fretless Cruise 2Tek that would be a different story...