Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD: Dean Lawsuit era (1977 thru 2019) :) USA Z

so I'm down in florida,     (parents getting to that age)  so I had to get away from

the house...   trek up to Sarasota to hit sam ash then swing over to GC near the mall and see this thing on the top

row in the used section...   Kind of freaky, but looking at a distance,  was like,  hmmm... that's

a usa sn pattern…   so I got em to grab it... dig it, and plunked down a deposit while it sits on police hold.   

played great, felt great, nice V neck, frets are excellent  (it's an 09)...   interesting inlays, had a hankering for a Dean Z

but not loving those Dean Select imports at $899.  (899? the new reality for an import)   yikes,..  but let that go...    Nothing like

some retail therapy.  better pics when it arrives  1-2 weeks.         Dave 

i-hgpbxXL-M.jpg

i-3Nb58kd-M.jpg

i-sPTrhLf-M.jpg

Dean rocks. I love the painting schema of this one. Congratulations!

Nice Score Dave ... USA Dean Zs are nice. I got this one from Dave several years ago ... I know he was Jonesin to get it back someday ... but I can't seem to part with it ...

DeanZ.jpg

Yes,  yours was “the one” that got away. Lol.  I know you dig it so I haven’t been too obnoxious.  But I do miss that one.         Seems like time capsule prices have shifted Upwards so this one should scratch that itch nicely.              

Btw.  Found an old listing of what looks like the same guitar.  Listed as a “one off only one made”.   Hard to tell but it looks like a different serial number so I suspect a couple out there.    

https://reverb.com/item/64086-dean-custom-shop-z-mhg-explorer-complete-one-off-one-of-one-michael-shenker

10 hours ago, Len said:

Nice Score Dave ... USA Dean Zs are nice. I got this one from Dave several years ago ... I know he was Jonesin to get it back someday ... but I can't seem to part with it ...

DeanZ.jpg

DaveL - nice score!

This looks like my old guitar - sans EMGs

20 minutes ago, Devnor said:

DaveL - nice score!

This looks like my old guitar - sans EMGs

It is,   I removed the emg's and rewired with CTS pots, orange drop and

Dimarzio super distortion zebras.    The most interesting thing about the guitar

(beside the cool block inlays of course)  was that  it had a receipt in the case for a buzz

feiten bone nut from Charlie's guitars  (remember seeing stevie ray Vaughn wear their shirts)...  

superb job by the guy who did the work.  

8 hours ago, DaveL said:

receipt in the case for a buzz

feiten bone nut from Charlie's guitars

Oh LOL, I forgot I had that added during my feiten phase.  My apologies to all owners past, present and future.

11 hours ago, DaveL said:

It is,   I removed the emg's and rewired with CTS pots, orange drop and

Dimarzio super distortion zebras.    The most interesting thing about the guitar

(beside the cool block inlays of course)  was that  it had a receipt in the case for a buzz

feiten bone nut from Charlie's guitars  (remember seeing stevie ray Vaughn wear their shirts)...  

superb job by the guy who did the work.  

2 hours ago, Devnor said:

Oh LOL, I forgot I had that added during my feiten phase.  My apologies to all owners past, present and future.

Its a great guitar ... Thanks again DaveL for passing it to me. I did change the Super D in the neck pos for a Super 2.

And that nut is perfect .. wouldn't mind having more of those on my guitars ...

020.JPG

I'm confused. This is a Gibson, right?  The headstock looks indistinguishable to me.

And I'd totally have jumped on this if I'd seen it. I don't even want or need another guitar, much less a Z,  but the florentine theme works so well. Right colors, fleur-de-lis inlays, I even like the gold hardware on this one.

The Coat of Arms of Firenza, in case anyone is guessing where they got the theme:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Florence_Coat_of_Arms.png

Florence_Coat_of_Arms.png

11 hours ago, Len said:

And that nut is perfect .. wouldn't mind having more of those on my guitars

If the intonation has not been adjusted since I owned it you can try the Feiten offsets in your tuner.  Back then I was probably using Elixir .010 strings.

8 hours ago, Devnor said:

If the intonation has not been adjusted since I owned it you can try the Feiten offsets in your tuner.  Back then I was probably using Elixir .010 strings.

I did adjust the intonation after putting on 9's .. everything is perfect ... plays like a dream

• 2 weeks later...

arrived safely...  kind of tricky, it was traded in without a case and I had a bad feeling of what might happen

on the trip from Fla to NH...  GC brought in a Dean Z case for me and then shipped it up once it arrived, 

They did a nice job.    needs some tlc  (strings are ancient,  I believe it was last restrung by a member of the French

aristocracy sometime in the 1700's, lol)  but some fretboard cleaning, conditioning,  fret polish and should be

good to go.  

i-xMWs42b-M.jpg

i-9w3HbXB-M.jpg

i-Nk8f2H2-M.jpg

i-PhRCJZp-M.jpg

i-s2tjKqP-M.jpg

Archived