Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Any Prince fans?

I thought maybe there are a couple of Prince fans here that might find this interesting... I personally have to give her major props for tackling this job in this Arizona Heat... Yeesh!

Artist Maggie Keane Talks about Her Massive Prince Mural in Phoenix | Phoenix New Times
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts/artist-maggie-keane-talks-about-her-massive-prince-mural-in-phoenix-11323965

Very cool, and very funky!  I like Prince, but I usually only listen to his hits...which is kinda like only reading a 'Yearbook' supplement out of a stack of Encyclopedias!  His output was/is staggering. 

I remember reading this article on Reverb a couple of weeks ago, he really seemed to like discovering new ways to use sound and equipment!

https://reverb.com/news/prince-and-the-linn-lm-1

Like @crunchee, I like Prince, but haven’t explored much more than his hits. And BTW, that Superbowl show he gave in 2007 was tremendous. 

22 minutes ago, cynic said:

^^ Video can't be viewed in the USA....thanks NFL.

Oh! What a shame! But quite often it’s the other way around. Sometimes it feels good being Canadian! 🤪🤣

You know, I'm not a Prince fan. Wasn't into purple rain when I was in high school, never emulated him, etc.

Oddly, my current #1 guitar is this:

20190107_182431.jpg

I swear I did NOT do this to emulate Prince!  But, he died and now everyone thinks I was making a Prince guitar. The pickguard has a much more pedestrian backstory, largely that the color of the guitar came out wrong so I've just leaned into it. No standard color guard looked right so what the hell, get the wildest thing I could find to match. It wears this or one piece black, depending on my mood, and nothing in between.

Whatever. I'm find with it. Never bought a Prince album, but Prince the person was awesome. He had a great sense of humor (Breakfast can Wait where he used Dave Chappell's picture on the cover) and he was a fantastic guitar player and consummate performer. There are worse people for a guitarist to be compared to.

I remember channel flipping and running across this performance when it first aired and being blown away with his total command of singing, dancing, guitar and the audience and one of THE sickest basslines I've ever heard by Rhonda Smith.

9 hours ago, DaveH said:

Yeah, the dude could shred when he wanted to!

Absolutely. I have ever loved his playing. Very said he’s gone.

I love the way he plays guitar. As far as Super Bowl performances, to me nothing tops Prince 

playing Purple Rain....in the rain. I have read he loved Neal Schons playing, and for that song 

even checked with Neal & Cain as he was worried the chords were to similar to Faithfully.

He could play melodic, funky, bluesy, shred....

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:38 PM, Moose said:

and I'll leave this here:

This and the Super Bowl won me over.  I think he spent a lot of time in the "woodshed" over the years.  I remember when Jesse Johnson was his hired gunslinger.  Prince progressed.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:43 AM, DaveH said:

Yeah, the dude could shred when he wanted to!

I seem to recall that around the Passion and Warfare era, both Vai and Satriani said (probably in GP interviews) they both wished that Prince would "cut loose" on guitar more than he does.  On P&W I think Vai said "The Animal" was his version of what he hoped to hear Prince do:

Satch released "Strange" as a nod to him in the same time period:  

BTW, I got two albums from a band named The Time. They also are on Spotify. As far as I understood, Prince played guitar on those, under a pseudonym. They are very funky —way funkier than the average Prince album. Here’s the Spotify link to the band:

38 minutes ago, zorrow said:

BTW, I got two albums from a band named The Time. They also are on Spotify. As far as I understood, Prince played guitar on those, under a pseudonym. They are very funky —way funkier than the average Prince album. Here’s the Spotify link to the band

Yes, they were featured prominently in a movie called "Purple Rain."

3 hours ago, zorrow said:

BTW, I got two albums from a band named The Time. They also are on Spotify. As far as I understood, Prince played guitar on those, under a pseudonym. They are very funky —way funkier than the average Prince album. Here’s the Spotify link to the band:

They started out as Prince's warm up Act for years. Saw them 3 or 4 times at First Ave in Minneapolis you couldn't help but have fun when they played. Of course the booty that was bouncing around may have had something to do with that too! 😎

Archived