Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ancient Akai APB

Did a recording of an original tune in a studio back in '88 (?) and the master is on an Akai MK 20 cassette. Years ago, I found a studio in TX that still had a functioning unit and had the tracks transferred to digital on CD's. Well, can't find the CD's anywhere, now that I'm ready to remaster. I reached out to the studio that did the conversion last time and their Akai unit has shit the bed and they didn't hang on to the file. I've called around and reached out but keep coming up empty handed. Thought I'd try a hail Mary and see if anyone here knows of or has access to an Akai deck or knows how to get data off of a MK 20 cassette.

Helpa HFC brother out?

image.png

Further clarification:

The cassette in question was used with the Akai  MG1212 and the rack mounted MG 1214 if this helps.

I never even heard of these Akai recorders.  

Did a quick YouTube search to see one of these.  This channel, the guy was using one only about a year ago, so maybe he can help:

Downside - he appears to be in Poland.  

When building my home studio 30 years ago the Akai all-in-one recorder was a consideration.  Someone had one in another studio a friend and I visited. 

When I needed a replacement counter roller for my TASCAM reel to reel recorder I sent the old one to George at Athan Corporation in San Francisco.  The part was recreated.  There are NOS parts out there on eBay, but the rubber used on those old rollers can break down over the years.  Sometimes you need something made fresh.  George sells replacement rollers for several Akai machines, so it is possible that he may get orders from pro studios that can transfer old tapes.  You could contact him and ask if he can recommend anyone. 

24 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

When building my home studio 30 years ago the Akai all-in-one recorder was a consideration.  Someone had one in another studio a friend and I visited. 

When I needed a replacement counter roller for my TASCAM reel to reel recorder I sent the old one to George at Athan Corporation in San Francisco.  The part was recreated.  There are NOS parts out there on eBay, but the rubber used on those old rollers can break down over the years.  Sometimes you need something made fresh.  George sells replacement rollers for several Akai machines, so it is possible that he may get orders from pro studios that can transfer old tapes.  You could contact him and ask if he can recommend anyone. 

Do you know George's last name? Might be helpful in trying to contact him.

Archived