Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Your Favorite Five Bass Players?

Tax Season is over and I have lots of time on my hands.  So, I thought it would be cool to educate myself.  Your five won't be my five.  So, here goes.  In no particular order.

1. Chris Squire

2. John Entwistle

3. Jaco Pastorius

4. Jack Bruce

5. Carol Kaye

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in no particular order.

Roger Waters

Flea

Tom Petersson

Micheal Anthony

Graham Maby

I could easily add Chris Squire or John Entwistle but I just don't listen to them as much as the other five.

In no order:

James Jamerson

John Entwistle

Jaco

Paul McCartney

Geddy Lee

Jamerson’s grooves in the MoTown stuff still makes young women's hips sway!!

In no particular order, partially because it often rotates...

1. Tom Petersson

2. John Entwistle

3. Geddy Lee

4. Mark Hamilton

5. Andy Rourke

(Crap!  And Bruce Foxton, and John Paul Jones, and Michael Anthony, and Pete Farndon, and Steve McDonald, and Tommy Stinson, and Chris Murphy, and Mike Mezaros, and Mike Mills, and Gerard Love, and Phil Lynott, and McCartney, and Andy Kent, and...and...)

how Many bass players does it take to change a lightbulb?

none, the keyboard player can do it with his left hand...

This can change day to day, so no particular order (okay, maybe a little...):

John Entwistle

Geddy Lee

Bryan Beller (solo, Mike Keneally, Dethklok, Steve Vai, among others)

Michael Manring (solo, Michael Hedges)

Rick Barrio Dill (Vintage Trouble)

8 minutes ago, RobB said:

Who the **** likes bass players?

I do. I live there.

In no particular order-

Geddy Lee
Alain Caron
Spider Sinnaeve
Peter Cardinali
Jim Clench

Five is definitely not enough. 'Cause there's also

Graham Maby (counts as two!)
Jennifer Young (Travis Larson Band)
John McVie
Mel Schacher

Pete Way     Ufo.   He rocked.  Loved the big bottom yet he could throw in tasteful economical fills.   Could write songs, produce.   Could out party everyone (not that it’s a great skill to be proud when you start having health issues)       Micheal Anthony.     Kind of a pedestrian player but guy had a cannon for a voice.  If rock and roll bands were like sports he would be an undervalued asset plucked off the waiver wire by bill bellichick.   Will take him any day of the week over a needlessly meandering bass player.   Although would have been better if he could write a little  (which I think was the beef that his bandmates  had).   Steve Harris.  Loved how he really was a leader and gave 110 percent Although his galloping history lessons started to get on my nerves by the time powerslave hit.   

I can't just do five... gotta do ten

Bass and Drums is where it's at IMHO. I rarely if ever listen to music that has guitar in it as far as listening pleasure goes.

1). Jaco Pastorius

2). Paul Jackson

3). Ron Carter

4). Chuck  Rainey

5). Anthony Jackson

6). James Jamerson

7). Chris Squire

8). Geddy Lee

9). Louis Johnson

10). Charlie Haden

Let me preface this by saying I'm biased, as a former tech/roadie/backliner for one of em (guess which one), but in no particular order:

TM Stevens - his solo at Montreaux with Miles Davis led to gigs with everyone from James Brown and Tina Turner to Joe Cocker and The Pretenders, but he was all about the funk and metal with his power trio. He could play anything, and did! Check out "Thumb" for a taste - and his live shows were nonstop energy with ludicrous solos. Dementia is a cruel bitch. Miss you, T!

Entwistle

Flea

Jack Bruce

Jaco

ETA: Victor! How could I forget W-O-O 10?!

FB_IMG_1562847694555.jpg

OK, seriously though:

JPJ

Rhonda Smith

Geddy

The Ox

Tiran Porter

Paul McCartney (not so much for his tone, but for the lines he comes up with)

There's waaaay too many to narrow it down. I like a bass player with a thick groove and a melodic spin.

Subject to change, but since I sang lead vocals and played bass when I was an active musician, I usually gravitated towards those types of players:

Lemmy

Jack Bruce

Greg Lake

Ricky Phillips

Chris Squire

11 hours ago, cmatthes said:

In no particular order, partially because it often rotates...

1. Tom Petersson

2. John Entwistle

3. Geddy Lee

4. Mark Hamilton

5. Andy Rourke

(Crap!  And Bruce Foxton, and John Paul Jones, and Michael Anthony, and Pete Farndon, and Steve McDonald, and Tommy Stinson, and Chris Murphy, and Mike Mezaros, and Mike Mills, and Gerard Love, and Phil Lynott, and McCartney, and Andy Kent, and...and...)

Mr. Matthes fails the assignment not on the merits of his selections, but his inability to follow the assignment!!!:lol:

And he's not alone.  My point is that five is really hard.  And arbitrary...

Can’t believe so few people (aside from the man, the myth, the legend: @Ed Rechts) have mentioned Les Claypool yet. I suppose one might not prefer his slap style or his quirky songwriting. But one cannot deny his ability. Guy is a monster player. 

I’ve also found that I’m one of the minority of people who really like Steve Vai’s “Vai” album which featured TM Stevens on bass...

4 hours ago, 0054 said:

Tommy Stinson, Jah Wabble, Billy Rath,  Dee Dee Ramone, and local favorite (RIP) Steve Kaika. Throw in Jim Marsala too

Billy Rath?  Johnny thunders and the heartbreakers.    Loved that guy.       Bass lines in one track mind one of my favorites.         He was from Boston and apparently a gigolo.  Such a good citizen!!! 

Archived