• Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, it's me HHB said:

Fav quote from sub bassist last week

Me " it's in A minor"

Him " it's bass there are no minors"...

He sounds like a happy guy then, if he plays all songs in major keys! :D

On 7/11/2019 at 9:17 AM, Ed Rechts said:

That hurt to watch.  I wasn't sure if it was Pete or my friend's crazy Auntie Joan Cusano from back in Bridgeport.

Say what you will, but Pete looks WAYSTED.

Well, there are more than just five bassplayers I love to listen to. I always loved John Wetton (King Crimson, UK, Roxy Music etc), Jack Bruce and Clive Chaman (Jeff Beck Group, Brian Auger, Hummingbird). Jaco was cool, but so was Alphonso Johnson. Of new contemporary players I like Dylan Wilson, who tours with Ritchie Kotzen, and Adam Minkoff who played with Dweezil Zappa and Doyle Bramhall II.

Entwistle

Tom Hamilton

Jamerson

Bill Wyman  (BITD)

Michael Anthony

CHASE McRoy—-you haven’t heard of him yet, but I believe you will within 5 years.

I guess it's an indication that I'm an unwashed noob that when I hear the words "bass guitar" I immediately think of the galloping digits of Steve Harris? 

No Cliff fans here either?  You dudes are too high brow.  ;D

2 hours ago, bkrownd said:

I guess it's an indication that I'm an unwashed noob that when I hear the words "bass guitar" I immediately think of the galloping digits of Steve Harris? 

No Cliff fans here either?  You dudes are too high brow.  ;D

Go back and re-read the entire thread.
Harris was mentioned on page 1.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:17 AM, Ed Rechts said:

...And what HFC, no love for Les Claypool?

I used to listen to that Blind Illusion album quite a bit back in high school. Has he been heard from since?  🤔

1 hour ago, killerteddybear said:

I don't thing Sting made the cut either. Or Victor Wooten.

Well, I like Sting as a performer. I have seen him in 2016 and he had a great band backing him (Dominic Miller, Vinnie Colaiuta, David Sancious). As a bassplayer, well, he's good but there are other players that get my attention. Stanley Clarke, also a nice player, but I like the old Return To Forever stuff better than his solo stuff, one case when I like the muddy Gibson sound better than the clacky Alembic sound. I guess all those players from  the 60's, 70's and even the 80's are mostly unknown to the younger generation. Victor Wooten sure can play, and I bet he works well in a band, but I only know his showcase stuff, it is nice to see once for the "wow" factor, but that's it. Same goes for Federico Malaman or Mohini Dey. Even somebody like Tal Wilkenfeld, nice player, but when I listen to her playing, she does what a bassplayer is expected to do. I remember when I was 12/13 years old I bought Jeff Beck's Wired album and I immediately had to look who played bass and drums on that album. Wilbur Bascomb and Narada Michael Walden sure were names I haven't heard before, but I sure didn't forget those names for this album alone. That's what makes a bassist a top player for me. Ron Carter is a fantastic player. The bassplayer from Tool, Justin Chancellor, gets quite some recognition, and he may be a great player, I don't know, since I don't listen to the music of Tool. Same with Geddy Lee, Rush may be a great band with great musicians, but I don't get their music, so Geddy Lee isn't on my radar as a fantastic player, though I read interviews of him and he seems like a cool guy, Alex Lifeson maybe not so.

4 hours ago, RobB said:

Slayer’s playing the Oakland Arena on their final tour soon. Among the openers? Yep, you guessed it! Bay Area dork-funksters, PRIMUS!! 

I’ll wait for the dvd...

Well in that case some Blind Illusion and Possessed songs are absolutely MANDATORY!!!

Archived