Ed Rechts

On this day in 1981 and 1982...

because I loves me some irony 'specially midweek

deflep1.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Calling Phil a girl isn't very PC.

• Like 1

Not to hard to understand why he left Girl for DL... and this is one I liked!!

• Like 2

The riffage penned by Steve Clark and Pete "Hamer with legs" Willis has stood the test of time. I wish the lads could have better handled their penchant for hooch. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

The riffage penned by Steve Clark and Pete "Hamer with legs" Willis has stood the test of time. I wish the lads could have better handled their penchant for hooch. 

100%. Poor Pete is only like 5'2", he was bound to fail due to a toxic combination of excessive (arm) bends and little man's syndrome after a quick "eventually".

So the takeaway here is, he had ONE hell of a year before being exiled to the land of Pete Best.

If I ever meet him, I hope he still drinks, because I'm buying all night to hear the stories from that time in his life.

Edited to add: I had that Girl album, I thought it was Phil Lewis that had the talent in that band. His street urchin voice was (and still is) perfect for that brand of sleaze rock. The new LA Guns tunes would be epic if anyone cared about that shit anymore.

Edited by Ed Rechts
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

100%. Poor Pete is only like 5'2", he was bound to fail due to a toxic combination of excessive (arm) bends and little man's syndrome after a quick "eventually".

So the takeaway here is, he had ONE hell of a year before being exiled to the land of Pete Best.

If I ever meet him, I hope he still drinks, because I'm buying all night to hear the stories from that time in his life.

Edited to add: I had that Girl album, I thought it was Phil Lewis that had the talent in that band. His street urchin voice was (and still is) perfect for that brand of sleaze rock. The new LA Guns tunes would be epic if anyone cared about that shit anymore.

Funny how when it is Steve Stevens at 5'6" its an issue for you.  

3 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Funny how when it is Steve Stevens at 5'6" its an issue for you.  

Nah, it was more about the intoxication and the little-man's syndrome, not the actual altitude displacement.

Oh, and in the case of my mini-Gene Simmons remark,  the embarrassment of watching what appears to be a grown man slaver after a guitarist whose vast whimsical musical ability he apparently doesn't even comprehend over focusing on the technicality, based on statements he makes on this message board every week

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

a guitarist whose vast whimsical musical ability he apparently doesn't even comprehend over focusing on the technicality

I don't understand. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

I don't understand. 

I know, I just said that

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Vertigo/Mercury Art Director - I got an idea for your next album cover... I call it "Man in Speedo diving for the boys".

Def Leppard- You had me at Speedo

Edited by zenmindbeginner
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

I saw Def Leppard "Pete Willis era" here in Arizona, really enjoyed it... I remember thinking to myself, these guys are really young and thought they rocked hard!.. always love the songs and his tone on Wasted & Rock Brigade

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Like 2

I was fortunate enough to see them on the 'High n Dry' tour in Kansas City. Damn that was an awesome show!

• Like 4

On 7/11/2019 at 10:04 PM, zenmindbeginner said:

Vertigo/Mercury Art Director - I got an idea for your next album cover... I call it "Man in Speedo diving for the boys".

Def Leppard- You had me at Speedo

This is the story behind that cover: The band got the pressing for On Through The Night and were furious at the cover. The label choose it without the band even knowing. They hated it, such a bland design. It looks like a cover for your standard 70's  AOR band. Just meh.

So for their next album they wanted something special. They contacted the guys at Hipgnosis, who had done all the cool Pink Floyd covers, Led Zeppelin, ELO, AC/DC etc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipgnosis . They were THE art agency for cover art in the 1970's. Look at all the great covers they've done. But, as the band was still kinda un known, Hipgnosis presented them with this idea of the diver and the empty pool. The band loved it and took it on the spot. In later days Joe Elliot found out that this cover was initially made for PInk Floyd, but they rejected it. So it had been sitting on a shelve collecting dust for some years. Joe still loves this cover though, and it's a great story behind it. I love it too. Great artwork. Weird. But that album stood out on the shelves in the record stores, and I for certainly choose to spend my hard earned money on that album over some run of the mill Tygers of Pan Tang album. Most probably because of that cover. It told me this was not just another nwobhm album, it was something more. And it for sure was! 

• Like 4

PeteWHamer_zpsa518b348.jpg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Disturber said:

This is the story behind that cover: The band got the pressing for On Through The Night and were furious at the cover. The label choose it without the band even knowing. They hated it, such a bland design. It looks like a cover for your standard 70's  AOR band. Just meh.

So for their next album they wanted something special. They contacted the guys at Hipgnosis, who had done all the cool Pink Floyd covers, Led Zeppelin, ELO, AC/DC etc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipgnosis . They were THE art agency for cover art in the 1970's. Look at all the great covers they've done. But, as the band was still kinda un known, Hipgnosis presented them with this idea of the diver and the empty pool. The band loved it and took it on the spot. In later days Joe Elliot found out that this cover was initially made for PInk Floyd, but they rejected it. So it had been sitting on a shelve collecting dust for some years. Joe still loves this cover though, and it's a great story behind it. I love it too. Great artwork. Weird. But that album stood out on the shelves in the record stores, and I for certainly choose to spend my hard earned money on that album over some run of the mill Tygers of Pan Tang album. Most probably because of that cover. It told me this was not just another nwobhm album, it was something more. And it for sure was! 

Cool story!

Hipgnosis for sure created some amazing album covers.

Personally, I didn't really care for OTTN, High N' Dry, Hysteria or Euphoria... I only really liked Pyromania.

and when it comes to covers...Andy AirFix's cover for Pyromania is one of the BESt album covers of all time.. looked like a panel from a GI JOE comic book which I was reading like a mofo in 1983.

The 10cc cover from Hipgnosis is my favorite

Edited by zenmindbeginner
  • Like 2

On 7/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, hamerhead said:

Calling Phil a girl isn't very PC.

Being "un-PC" is why Ed Rechts is a valued pillar of the HFC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1