Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dantzig Californian?

cynic

Much ado about nothing IMHO.

I suppose if you wanted a slightly more authentic and vastly more expensive Cali than, say, one of the imports, you'd be justified in ordering one. But while Jol may have designed the Cali, whatever mojo was infused into those beauties came from the craftsmen in the shop and that DNA, Shishkov notwithstanding, is gone.

Honestly, if I wanted a fairly spot on replica of a Cali, I'd have Shane at HEL Guitars build it. YMMV

Just now, soli'd said:

Shishkov Super-C for the win.

Exactly. While this pretentious douche is telling people to "wait," Mike Shishkov is building masterpiece after masterpiece. 
And all the while proving to be one of the nicest persons with whom you will ever interact.
"Just wait while I finish up this custom ordered Condor."

GTFO.

I personally don't care for the Super C design aesthetic. I like the carved arch top on some guitars like the Newport, but that carved top style just doesn't appeal to me in a super-Strat style guitar. I think having started out playing a Fender Strat, I've become conditioned to prefer bolt-on necks, 25.5" scale length, maple fretboard, and non-arched tops where anything Strat-style is concerned. Heck, it even took me a bit to get used to the sharper creased edges of the Californian when I first got it. I was so used to the way Fender Strats and even my Kramer with its soft edges and curved body just seemed to melt around me. The Cali seemed sharp in comparison, though now I'm so used to it, it's my favorite thing to play. 

On 7/14/2019 at 4:11 AM, FGJ said:

I personally don't care for the Super C design aesthetic. I like the carved arch top on some guitars like the Newport, but that carved top style just doesn't appeal to me in a super-Strat style guitar. I think having started out playing a Fender Strat, I've become conditioned to prefer bolt-on necks, 25.5" scale length, maple fretboard, and non-arched tops where anything Strat-style is concerned. Heck, it even took me a bit to get used to the sharper creased edges of the Californian when I first got it. I was so used to the way Fender Strats and even my Kramer with its soft edges and curved body just seemed to melt around me. The Cali seemed sharp in comparison, though now I'm so used to it, it's my favorite thing to play. 

Aesthetically, the Super C doesn't appeal to me either. I am completely in awe of Mike's artistry and craftsmanship on the 2 Super C's I've seen and played. In some ways, I think the Super C is superior to the Cali but will add the caveat: without a standard, bench line model to put head to head, that's a tough call. Acknowledging it's purely subjective nature, I'd take the shape of the Cali with it's flatter surface and nice rounded body edges any day.

Yeah, and to be clear, I didn't mean to suggest the Super C isn't an incredibly well built guitar. I'm sure Mike really dedicates the same awesome craftsmanship to that as to anything he does. 

I love Cali's and Super C's.  I own both.  The Super-C was a deliberate design departure from the Cali whilst retaining its playfulness.  I prefer the size of the Super-C in that it, for some reason, sits a little more comfortably.  

When I first spoke to Mike about a Shishkov "Cali" I specifically wanted a carved top similar to the Kellerfornian from years ago but with a humbucker and a trem.  Once he got started Mike wanted to sculpt the back of the guitar, the headstock and before I knew it we had a "Super Cali". 

Tone wise, as Jim pointed out, its hard to compare.  I will say that the Super-C 1 (1 piece maple body, set wenge neck) is noticeably less edgy than the bolt-on Cali FM.  My second one, Korina body/quilt top/wenge set neck is sweeter, particularly in the upper register,  but not noticeably warmer.  If that makes sense...

IMG_-0483.jpg

055 (2).JPG

To me, Mike's Super C is the logical evolution of the Cali, much like the DC is the evolution of the Studio. Familiar but different, kinda like the next version of your car or bub's pedalboard.

Mike should have been running Hamer.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:12 AM, DBraz said:

I love Cali's and Super C's.  I own both.  The Super-C was a deliberate design departure from the Cali whilst retaining its playfulness.  I prefer the size of the Super-C in that it, for some reason, sits a little more comfortably.  

When I first spoke to Mike about a Shishkov "Cali" I specifically wanted a carved top similar to the Kellerfornian from years ago but with a humbucker and a trem.  Once he got started Mike wanted to sculpt the back of the guitar, the headstock and before I knew it we had a "Super Cali". 

Tone wise, as Jim pointed out, its hard to compare.  I will say that the Super-C 1 (1 piece maple body, set wenge neck) is noticeably less edgy than the bolt-on Cali FM.  My second one, Korina body/quilt top/wenge set neck is sweeter, particularly in the upper register,  but not noticeably warmer.  If that makes sense...

IMG_-0483.jpg

I love this Super "C".....  just such a nice guitar

Archived