Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I HATE...

... f*cking bandmates who had eight weeks to practice stuff like Jumping Jack Flash and come to the rehearsal two days prior to the gig having absolutely NO idea what to play. Being a short time replacement or not. 

Sorry. I just had to let it out. 

20 minutes ago, Montelovesco said:

... f*cking bandmates who had eight weeks to practice stuff like Jumping Jack Flash and come to the rehearsal two days prior to the gig having absolutely NO idea what to play. Being a short time replacement or not. 

That's not even a hard one - guitar OR bass!  Whether you play it in B or G...

I HATE bandmates that arrive late for a gig uninjured. Drummers who forget their f'n cymbals at the practice space and don't realize it until they're setting up an hour and a half AFTER they unloaded their kit into the holding area in the pub. Bandmates that ask at every gig for the last six months "do we have any tape?" but never think to actually toss a roll into their car to bring with them. Bandmates that have been playing the same songs for three years and STILL have no idea what key the song is in or the arrangement.

Wow.  This is cathartic..  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, HamerDave said:

I HATE bandmates that arrive late for a gig uninjured. Drummers who forget their f'n cymbals at the practice space and don't realize it until they're setting up an hour and a half AFTER they unloaded their kit into the holding area in the pub. Bandmates that ask at every gig for the last six months "do we have any tape?" but never think to actually toss a roll into their car to bring with them. Bandmates that have been playing the same songs for three years and STILL have no idea what key the song is in or the arrangement.

Wow.  This is cathartic..  Thanks!

Uninjured?

Damn.  Harsh!

Thanks to all of you. It helps to know that I am not all alone with this. 😊

20 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

How did they get to be bandmates in the first place?

Good question. It is simply a project band for one gig and they went: Yes, I am in.

looks like I was wrong assuming they‘d work on it. 

Just now, Steve Haynie said:

In one band I hated being the only one setting up the PA system while the other guys were eating and having drinks with friends.  At show time I was sweaty and hungry.  The other guys could not understand why. 

Living that dream currently. Then they get on me about being grumpy before shows. I love these guys like brothers which is why I'm venting here and not clubbing them like baby seals.

3 minutes ago, HamerDave said:

Living that dream currently. Then they get on me about being grumpy before shows. I love these guys like brothers which is why I'm venting here and not clubbing them like baby seals.

Clubbing... 🤔 I LIKE that.

59 minutes ago, Montelovesco said:

... f*cking bandmates who had eight weeks to practice stuff like Jumping Jack Flash

To be fair, I fucking hate playing Jumping Jack Flash.

There's only so many goddamned times you can hear a riff older than you before it loses its potency. I've retired all popular stones songs.

It's good to be me some days. One of the benefits of being so unpleasant nobody will make music with you is that you don't have to pander to baby boomers with shit taste and a very narrow musical palette.

Some players don’t get the professionalism part of playing!! If I screw up I’m embarrassed, but quickly try to make it sound like it belongs there!!! How far can you bend a string??? Till you get it in key!! 

3 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

In one band I hated being the only one setting up the PA system while the other guys were eating and having drinks with friends.  At show time I was sweaty and hungry.  The other guys could not understand why. 

That's been me in some bands because no one else gave a crap about how the band sounded as long as they were in their amp's sound.  Worse than that is guys who offer to help, but then won't learn anything about it or listen when you try to teach them.  

1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

Some players don’t get the professionalism part of playing!! If I screw up I’m embarrassed, but quickly try to make it sound like it belongs there!!! How far can you bend a string??? Till you get it in key!! 

David Gilmour once talked about some of the bends in the solos on Animals and he mentioned that the chords were kind of strange to him and sometimes he'd go for a bend having started too low, so he'd just keep bending until it worked.  Made me so happy to hear an idol had to learn something new that far into his career.

5 hours ago, Montelovesco said:

Such a great tune to play live.  We work in The Hall of the Mountain King thing in the middle.  Sorry about your frustration.  Lazy people suck, unless they're your 87 year old parents.  Then, you're lucky.

4 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I taught my son, from a very young age, how to set up the lights and the PA.  He's now our soundman.  He sits with his tablet and mixes us via our Line 6 mixer and a hot spot. 

We all get $100 per gig and pay him $20 each for his services.  There are five of us.  Call him stupid...

8 hours ago, The Shark said:

I taught my son, from a very young age, how to set up the lights and the PA.  He's now our soundman.  He sits with his tablet and mixes us via our Line 6 mixer and a hot spot. 

We all get $100 per gig and pay him $20 each for his services.  There are five of us.  Call him stupid...

He must love it, or the girl gettin must be equalizing the subpar pay!! Lol!!

On 7/18/2019 at 5:08 PM, Montelovesco said:

The initial bass player in the former cover band had this affliction as well. We'd agree on and assign a tune for us to pick up and he'd come in half-assed prepared or not at all. His fall back was: I can get thru it but I don't have it dialed in. You can only use that excuse once maybe twice but this was a common occurrence.

At one point, we had taken on Maiden's Two Minutes To Midnight and no exaggeration, he came in every f*cking rehearsal unable to play it, claiming he'd have ready next time. His excuse?  He was trying to get it just like Steve Harris and didn't want to play it until he could. Eventually, he was canned for his inability (or unwillingness) to learn tunes in a timely manner as well as being a smarmy douche at gigs.

6 hours ago, diablo175 said:

The initial bass player in the former cover band had this affliction as well. We'd agree on and assign a tune for us to pick up and he'd come in half-assed prepared or not at all. His fall back was: I can get thru it but I don't have it dialed in. You can only use that excuse once maybe twice but this was a common occurrence.

At one point, we had taken on Maiden's Two Minutes To Midnight and no exaggeration, he came in every f*cking rehearsal unable to play it, claiming he'd have ready next time. His excuse?  He was trying to get it just like Steve Harris and didn't want to play it until he could. Eventually, he was canned for his inability (or unwillingness) to learn tunes in a timely manner as well as being a smarmy douche at gigs.

Yeah, I always hate the didn't have time or too busy excuse.  I don't know anyone who isn't busy these days.  Yes, we all have work and family commitments, but beyond that, it's all your choice.  

I LOVE playing Flash and I play the Ya-Ya’s version. Mixing Keith and MT’s tasty parts.

But your issue is why I stopped gigging to concentrate on recording. Too many lazy fuckers who won’t learn their parts. They try to fake it. Lazy and unprofessional. OMG it can set me off pretty quick....,that’s why I dig working with AC.

On 7/18/2019 at 5:45 PM, HamerDave said:

I hear that lead filled snow boots work very well, if it comes to that. Whap! (I do not know this for fact, it's just what I heard from FZ and Nanook.)

I always kinda disliked Being the only one who knows anything about the sound gear and the patch. I also really hated running sound from the stage. Then there's the usual shit you know guys getting shitfaced, unable to play That kind of thing. I'll admit I've done that myself when I didn't give a shit anymore usually just prior to leaving the band.  My kingdom for a good soundman. As far as sound goes I always loved running sound for bands. A soundman can make or break a band. I'd almost rather run sound than get on stage man. Also IMO good vocal harmonies separate good bands from average bands.

I'll jam with people but I think my band days might be over,  If I could find some guys that wanted to concentrate at least a little bit on original music. That's why I started playing in the first place.

On the other hand I like the attention, people treating you like gold the chicks all that stuff. But the bad can pile up before you know it. I enjoy recording a lot. Feels pretty damn good when you record a halfway decent tune that sounds good, at least to me anyway.  Too bad you can't post tunes on here. I love listening to other peoples work. That's why I love reverbnation. you can listen to other peoples music from all over the planet. It's a super cool site man.  Over 6 million members. You can join for free. Post your music.  

Then there's the drummer who can't keep time. Man I really hate that. Sometimes So bad that you almost trip and fall over.

15 minutes ago, meathead321 said:

Too bad you can't post tunes on here. I love listening to other peoples work.

People post their stuff here all the time!

Everytime I try to post anything I get an error message that says " you can only post 1,300.52 KB at a time ??? Whats that all about a song is usually around 5 mb or so ( MP3 that is )

It seems I am unable to post a PM as well

Archived