Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Blast from the past. Post your old pics.

My mom made me a mini photo album as a birthday gift. Came across this pic rockin’ the high school jazz band with my Mirage. This must’ve been ‘95 or so. I laughed hard enough that I had to share. 

Feel free to share your own pics from the days of yesteryear. 

F7BEE7D8-ADC4-4654-8FA4-F531A700B72E.jpeg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time playing live for more than one or two people during practice.  Two of my best friends (still)  have the same birthday.  So we played at their birthday party.  Multipurpose mic stand. I had lyrics taped to the inside of the lamp shade.  Just spin it around to see different song lyrics.

Poop-band.jpg

First Gibson double neck I bought, photo from back in 1969-70. 2Ofzkjx.jpg

These pics are from 1979. First with my old Sunburst. The second pic is on stage at the Paramount theater in Seattle. It was a good band doing all original progressive rock ala Kansas. But alas, cocaine took us down.

79hamer2.jpg

Gardian.jpg

In 1990 I was in a band as a second guitarist. I had to play all the solos. The main guy (who did vocals and play the other guitar) had the silly idea to go into a studio and record a vinyl single... I mean, who still bought vinyl in 1990. So here I am in the studio, only to record the solo, I had to play about three takes and then play a second track harmony, including a tapping part. I did quite well, yes, even was a little proud of that. I told the "band leader" before we went to recording that I would leave the band. While I was recording there was a big animosity between him and me. The studio guys (who played most the instruments by then, and didn't even do a good job) talked the guy into having one of their people record a new solo, while he had to pay for all. On the cover he had the text: "Thanks to the people who gave everything and took nothing and no thanks to those who gave nothing and took everything" Haha, in fact, it was the other way round, but... never mind (that was actually the name of the band). The single came out with my sollo erased. Years later, the other guys all said that my recorded solo was far better. I just said "go, tell it someone else". Anyway, here's my pic from late 1990.

Olli_Never_Mind_1990.jpg

1979, playing covers by The Cars, Elvis Costello, The Who, even some Rush.  Say what you will about Norlin, but that goldtop was a great guitar, maple neck and all.

S2g38eX.jpg

By 1983, I was in a band covering Pat Benatar, The Police, The Pretenders, etc.  That was actually the name of the band: ETC... (see banner in background).  I had decided that everybody played a fucking Les Paul, and I needed something different.  No Hamer dealer in town, but Zapf's Music had started carrying Dean...

Fzngmwg.jpg

Sometimes I switched out the Dean for my first of many Telecasters, which hold up to neck-bending better.

JDcUfxk.jpg

By '85 I was a hardcore Tele guy, thanks largely to this Schecter PT.  Same band, different singer.  This photo should be in the MIJ/CIJ guitars thread, too.

5IRKr2O.jpg

... and in vintagey black and white:

mBJvQUr.jpg

Serial and me in our first high school rock band - this was from the local fair our Junior year:

1983 TZ.jpg

My Cherry Sunburst LP Custom went out of tune after the second or third song (heat, old strings or combination of both?), and Steve's TSB LPC was closer than the (borrowed) Black LP Custom behind me in that shot and I had to change mid-song.  We thought it was funny (later, of course) that all 3 Les Pauls I played went out of tune, but Serial's Strat was fine all day.  I'm not sure if Jakeboy was there or not - I think he graduated the year before this one?  

This was from a few months later - I also played bass in a Skinny Tie, new wave/power pop type of trio with an amazing guitarist (E. Costello, Dire Straits, The Jam, Cars, Clash, U2, The Cure, etc.):

Me 83 Rick.jpg

This one surfaced recently.  I still have the red 1980 Special, although my kid plays it more than I do these days.  Haven't seen the singer Noel in years, great guy.

I showed the pic to my teenage sons.  Kid no. 1: "Nice hair."  Kid no. 2: "What are those pants?!?"

Anxiety Closet.JPG

1984, I’m 2’nd from the left. I’m the only one that’s not gigging regularly. The others are still rocking it as hired guns! We still jam.

120F9AEB-8C8F-4727-A067-4D31A4D97660.jpeg

21 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Serial and me in our first high school rock band - this was from the local fair our Junior year:

1983 TZ.jpg

My Cherry Sunburst LP Custom went out of tune after the second or third song (heat, old strings or combination of both?), and Steve's TSB LPC was closer than the (borrowed) Black LP Custom behind me in that shot and I had to change mid-song.  We thought it was funny (later, of course) that all 3 Les Pauls I played went out of tune, but Serial's Strat was fine all day.  I'm not sure if Jakeboy was there or not - I think he graduated the year before this one?  

Chris, Is that the hospital fair? With Shawn Pase’s LPC as backup!? I was living down in Ocean View by then but I remember Shawn saying something about it all....and I remember that natural Strat VERY VERY well!

Mark

1981. 1976 re-issue Explorer. 65 Mustang. Shishkov 0006 rectified selling the ‘76.....I wish I had the ‘Stang still..

Black Sab shirt from the Heaven and Hell tour with RJD.

file dec 22, 6 34 57 pm.jpeg

Many Years ago playing a Vox.. My first Guitar and Amp in1967 for Christmas when I was 13 years old. A Hofner 6 string when I was in the Military stationed at Fort Bragg back in 1972 but I sold it, because being in the Army and being broke went hand in hand. My second guitar back around 1968..

Is that me.jpg

My First Guitar.jpg

Hofner and Me.jpg

2nd Guitar & Me 001 (2).jpg

11 hours ago, Dutchman said:

1984, I’m 2’nd from the left. I’m the only one that’s not gigging regularly. The others are still rocking it as hired guns! We still jam.

120F9AEB-8C8F-4727-A067-4D31A4D97660.jpeg

I sure hope I'm not sticking my foot in my mouth, but how did you lose your right leg below the knee? 😁

On 7/21/2019 at 9:13 PM, Rich_S said:

1979, playing covers by The Cars, Elvis Costello, The Who, even some Rush.  Say what you will about Norlin, but that goldtop was a great guitar, maple neck and all.

S2g38eX.jpg

By 1983, I was in a band covering Pat Benatar, The Police, The Pretenders, etc.  That was actually the name of the band: ETC... (see banner in background).  I had decided that everybody played a fucking Les Paul, and I needed something different.  No Hamer dealer in town, but Zapf's Music had started carrying Dean...

Fzngmwg.jpg

You looked a little like Neil Geraldo in the first pic.

In the next pic I like her white pants better than yours! She's pretty cute. Which one sang better, the 2nd one?

It's so great that you guys have all these cool pics!

2 hours ago, ZR said:

I sure hope I'm not sticking my foot in my mouth, but how did you lose your right leg below the knee? 😁

I’m leaning against the wall with it... lol!!! Does look like a stub tho. That was a promo pic for the places we played. The stump look drew interest to the pic.... lol!!!

14 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

I’m leaning against the wall with it... lol!!! Does look like a stub tho. That was a promo pic for the places we played. The stump look drew interest to the pic.... lol!!!

We'll, it would have been better if you had both feet on the wall! 

I wish I had some old pics of me playing, but the only one I can remember ever being taken was when, inspired by the day on the green concerts in the Bay area back in the day, we decided to have a band practice in the backyard of my friends house. It was pretty loud but the police weren't called. I guess his neighbors liked priest, maiden, Saxon and y&t!!

Archived