Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Blast from the past. Post your old pics.

40 minutes ago, ZR said:

We'll, it would have been better if you had both feet on the wall! 

I wish I had some old pics of me playing, but the only one I can remember ever being taken was when, inspired by the day on the green concerts in the Bay area back in the day, we decided to have a band practice in the backyard of my friends house. It was pretty loud but the police weren't called. I guess his neighbors liked priest, maiden, Saxon and y&t!!

I hear ya!! My ex burned all my stuff!! The guy to my right (bass player) gave me that pic. We lived together on the road and 3 of us lived together back home. Did some big show’s but never were able to grab the superstar gold ring. Still was the best time of my life!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marcnorth, is that a pair of Peavey TNTs?  Cool setup. Need less?  Take one.  Need more?  Take two.

I used a blue-knob TNT 130 when I played bass briefly in the late ‘80s.  When my son took up bass around 2012, I found him another one: $200, local pickup only.  Bulletproof amp that’s easy to service when the odd little problem does crop up.  It will probably last forever.

13 minutes ago, Rich_S said:

Marcnorth, is that a pair of Peavey TNTs?  Cool setup. Need less?  Take one.  Need more?  Take two.

I used a blue-knob TNT 130 when I played bass briefly in the late ‘80s.  When my son took up bass around 2012, I found him another one: $200, local pickup only.  Bulletproof amp that’s easy to service when the odd little problem does crop up.  It will probably last forever.

The one on the bottom was older and was just called a bass combo, the top one was a TNT. They were pretty much the same amp, the TNT just had more knobs on it. I started using these when I got tired of moving the Acoustic 370 and the two 301 cabinets which was overkill for most of the clubs we were playing at the time. 

1979, when I was 22: Brand new ('79) black Sunburst b/c and Marshall 2204 halfstack - that setup did rock!

1979.jpg

9 hours ago, marcnorth said:

Found this one when I was cleaning out an old dresser full of pictures last week. It was probably 1986 or 1987. 

Marcus- what on earth is that bass?!  Details please :)

Only beveled B-style body I recall seeimg was on that yellow B12S that has been floating around, also with the same four knob config. Then you got the FB style head, off- center inlays, what looks like white hardware... Cool looking bass!  Was this one of your custom orders?

I think I was running similar amp setup in those days. Had a bi-amped TNT130 and Combo 300.  By early 90s, I had removed the combo amp chassis from both and was using the 15" black widow cabs with a Fender BXR400 head.

40 minutes ago, chromium said:

Marcus- what on earth is that bass?!  Details please :)

Only beveled B-style body I recall seeimg was on that yellow B12S that has been floating around, also with the same four knob config. Then you got the FB style head, off- center inlays, what looks like white hardware... Cool looking bass!  Was this one of your custom orders?

I think I was running similar amp setup in those days. Had a bi-amped TNT130 and Combo 300.  By early 90s, I had removed the combo amp chassis from both and was using the 15" black widow cabs with a Fender BXR400 head.

My first Hamer bass, 1985 Jack Blades model. The story is he used it on tour in 85 and sent it back to the factory to have his name inlaid on the fret board. They built him another just like it with his name on the board and Paul Hamer sold this one to a friend of mine who owns a music store in Jacksonville, AR where he had it displayed in a glass case. Long story short he wanted my Grandfathers old 1943 Gibson L7 and I wanted the Hamer so we made a deal and were both very happy. The bass was Lavender and the bevel was painted Fuchsia.I believe the hardware was white with black. Last I remember Peter has it.

MVC-002X.jpg

2.jpg

21 minutes ago, marcnorth said:

My first Hamer bass, 1985 Jack Blades model. The story is he used it on tour in 85 and sent it back to the factory to have his name inlaid on the fret board. They built him another just like it with his name on the board and Paul Hamer sold this one to a friend of mine who owns a music store in Jacksonville, AR where he had it displayed in a glass case. Long story short he wanted my Grandfathers old 1943 Gibson L7 and I wanted the Hamer so we made a deal and were both very happy. The bass was Lavender and the bevel was painted Fuchsia.I believe the hardware was white with black. Last I remember Peter has it.

Thanks!  Just when you think you've seen 'em all...  That is so cool.

Here's my band in Tulsa OK.  Jimmy Bottoms 2nd from the left is my vocalist to this day. He is ugly as hell now. Don't know what happened. Call him GOON MAN My first Hamer, A 1984 phantom. Hung on the wall in the music store. I'd come in and play it. Didn't really like the body style  But I loved the way it played. It was used but it was in great shape. I was hooked on Hamers ever since. It got ripped in Erie PA.  Along with a short scale fender bass. So I bought a couple more. Came up to NY. and started a 3 piece band. I was running sound for a band called the Quest. ( I called them the Questicles )  The bass player and drummer who was only 17 at the time were killer man. The rest sucked Went to practice and the drummer and bass player were the only ones who showed up. The bass player asked me if I had my axe with me. I told him yes. We jammed for 2 hrs. or so. Then the bass player says " That's it i'm callin Betty "She was the owner of a club we knew and he booked our first gig. The Questicles were history after that.  That's how it goes. Snooze you loose. We played together for about 3 years. Hired another guitar player so I could leave the band. I wanted to concentrate on original shit. Bass player is a freakin corrections officer in Altoona PA. Can't believe it after all the shit we pulled. Man o man.

BILL AND BADGER.jpg

15 minutes ago, meathead321 said:

He is ugly as hell now. Don't know what happened.

Shit!!! lol -- I was thinking this about myself this morning.... What the Hell Happened to me?!!!!! though in truth i blame my 1st (ex for over 20 years) wife.

21 hours ago, Gino said:

1979, when I was 22: Brand new ('79) black Sunburst b/c and Marshall 2204 halfstack - that setup did rock!

1979.jpg

That scene in your photo reminds me the old pics of the clean-cut, wet-behind-the-ears Billy Gibbons. 

spacer.png

On 7/21/2019 at 6:13 PM, Rich_S said:

1979, playing covers by The Cars, Elvis Costello, The Who, even some Rush.  Say what you will about Norlin, but that goldtop was a great guitar, maple neck and all.

S2g38eX.jpg

The best-sounding ES-335 I ever heard was a Norlin-era lefty with a tailpiece. It even sounded good through a solid-state Crate practice amp.

56 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

That scene in your photo reminds me the old pics of the clean-cut, wet-behind-the-ears Billy Gibbons. 

spacer.png

Aaah! 4-piece Ludwig kit with a Supraphonic snare drum and forged bronze Zildjian cymbals!

There must be much earlier shots, but I always liked this one. Rockin' Toad's Place with my Heartfield in the early nineties. 

2B77473E-C061-4566-850A-FE7619F4BE64.jpeg

Yep, the DR4 is still going strong, though I favor a bigger neck these days. Spending all my split-up money (and then some) on that new instrument was maybe the best decision I've ever made! Got me back into playing...

Ted played that '56 Jr. into the ground. I remember it weighing practically nothing.

6 hours ago, Len said:

Len 1983.jpg

Please tell me you still have that shirt...

2 minutes ago, Russell Beard said:

At least I don't go by Rusty Beard anymore...

My last name is Russell and I have a beard...

just sayin’...

Archived