Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What led to the death of Rock?

This guy has some great videos. Much of what he shares in his videos is over my head musically but he explains it so well I can get most of it. This video is pretty interesting and he has some pretty interesting opinions about the click track system. I don't know if I agree with him there but we all know Autotune sucks. I agree with him there.

3 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

What ruined rock = it was your patents music.  

They ran ran out of ways to differentiate from prior generations.  

Let me guess, you didn't watch the video.

I watched the video. He seemed to be enjoying the very tools that he accuses as being responsible for the death of rock.

You can't blame the tools (computers and software). You can blame the ham-fisted application of these tools.

51 minutes ago, killerteddybear said:

I watched the video. He seemed to be enjoying the very tools that he accuses as being responsible for the death of rock.

You can't blame the tools (computers and software). You can blame the ham-fisted application of these tools.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Anything to improve Nickelback, right?

26 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

We have discussed this video before, or it was another video by the same guy.

Your memory is better than mine.

I sometimes think music is on a decline ever since the ability to record music. When I was 14 years old in 1982 I always thought the 80's sucked. Little did I know then that the 90's sucked far worse. I always lived in a world of memories, fantasies of old times and nostalgia. Nowadays I really want to break free of that. I don't consume as much music as I did before, I don't even play as much as before. But, hey, I am much happier now, since much of the crap of today is kept far from my mind. It is as if it just doesn't exist.

10 hours ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

When I was 14 years old in 1982 I always thought the 80's sucked.

Wait, I was only 2 years younger, and in the 80s we thought the 70s were embarrassing and awkward.  The 80s totally rocked, dude.  :D  In the 2000s I finally started appreciating the 70s. 

It feels odd that it's nearly 2020 and 1980s bands are still a big deal, whereas in the 1980s even the late 1960s seemed to be ancient history.   🤔

The upside is Analog recording is on the come back. Analog console to tape. I refused to have autotune in my studio. (Which probly lead to  the a decline clients) I felt it sounded unnatural and disliked it immensely!!                                  Back in the day they would play a song all together until everyone got it right. Like 150 practice runs until they got the one they wanted. They played in the studio as a band and on stage as a band.    This made for way better live performances with musicians playing instead of the main people playing to a click track.

I could rant about this for another hour... but in the end Rick’s right!!

Summary: Beat detective, auto tune and a bunch of producers who were to lazy to get musicians to play their parts together killed rock.  Maybe. 

I got your Halestorm right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSSFw9V2Po0

But I'd rather be checking out this guy's show,  if I was honest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov_7h-G9v4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oZwCQ20IiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS84XuwKOds

Rock moved in a different direction. But it lost me in the 90s -  I never got into grunge.    So I found different stuff to get into. 

7 hours ago, bkrownd said:

Wait, I was only 2 years younger, and in the 80s we thought the 70s were embarrassing and awkward.  The 80s totally rocked, dude.  :D  In the 2000s I finally started appreciating the 70s. 

It feels odd that it's nearly 2020 and 1980s bands are still a big deal, whereas in the 1980s even the late 1960s seemed to be ancient history.   🤔

Depends on what you grow up with. My interest for music (and strangely most of my other interests too) started in late 1974. I admit that I really loved ABBA, especially the blonde in this outfit, when I saw this on TV ->

My mom did have many of those "Disco" sampler albums by KTel, Polystar (I don't know, if you're familar with those or if it was a german or european thing). The mix on those albums was quite weird sometimes Gloria Gaynor, Thin Lizzy, Abba, Barry White, Aerosmith, Bee Gees, Sparks, Mungo Jerry, Elton John, ELO, Leo Sayer, Rubettes, Hall and Oates, Barry Manilow, Nazareth etc. There were always cool songs on them that were not in the charts. The radio Stations also played lots of 60's music, and I grew to like that very early on, the Who, Stones, Beatles, Kinks, Doors, Cream, Hendrix, Hollies, by the 70's the big time seemed over for those bands. Well, I admit I didn't like everything, Janis Joplin or Jefferson Airplane wasn't my thing. I liked the Sweet, Uriah Heep, Queen and Jethro Tull early on, I even thought then ELP's "Lucky Man" was nice without knowing then what other music they did. By 1976, the mainstream music got different. I didn't get any from the punk scene, but Disco got very popular by then. Bee Gees, Barry Manilow, Barry White, Abba (they got very big by then), Most of it I didn't like, yet I listened to radio a lot. Maybe it was that time, you've been aware of 70's music? I remember John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John starred in "Grease" and everybody except me loved it. In 1978 there was another scene coming up, it was called New Wave, Blondie, Police, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, later the Cure, Bauhaus, Bowie's late 70's stuff. Some of it was cool to me. And then in 1981, the "neue deutsche Welle" got very popular in Germany, I hated it. Two songs even made it on No.1 on the US charts. At that point I discovered lots of music. At one time, I started discovering old 60's/70's music, and on sundays I listened to AFN radio's US Top 100 and discovered stuff that wasn't played in german radio. When the 90's started there was quite a change, as most 80's artists became quite unpopular, including all those 70's dinosaur bands (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Queen) that got themselves through the 80's. Now, it all seems like a lifetime ago. I have learned that every decade had something to offer (still am generally no fan of the 90's) and I always tried to fit into the times...

56 minutes ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

Depends on what you grow up with. My interest for music (and strangely most of my other interests too) started in late 1974. I admit that I really loved ABBA, especially the blonde in this outfit, when I saw this on TV ->

Thanks for that. I had to full screen them and watch at 1/2 speed. 

5 hours ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

Depends on what you grow up with. My interest for music (and strangely most of my other interests too) started in late 1974. I admit that I really loved ABBA, especially the blonde in this outfit, when I saw this on TV

That’s some hot chicks doin some bad lip synchin!!! I enjoyed it altho it made me laugh at how poorly things where done back then!!

5 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

That’s some hot chicks doin some bad lip synchin!!! I enjoyed it altho it made me laugh at how poorly things where done back then!!

I was just trying to look at their pussies.

6 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

I was just trying to look at their pussies.

I would totally rock that giant cat T shirt. 

I'd probably wear pants, though.

14 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

it made me laugh at how poorly things where done back then!!

Not just back in the 70s.   Cheesy dancing routines seem to be a Swedish musical tradition.

22 minutes ago, Moose said:

I would totally rock that giant cat T shirt. 

I'd probably wear pants, though.

...and thank you for that fucking  image, Moosey!

I'm just being polite. I know I don't have the legs these ladies did.

I have three very important rules for a middle aged man on social media:

1. You're fatter than you think

2. You don't want to be famous

and

3. Nobody wants to see your penis.   Nobody,.

Start there and you're a good internets citizen.

It's all bullshit, plenty of awesome music and specifically rock being made. Just have to dig around a bit and not expect stuff to sound exactly like it did in any given specific era. 

14 hours ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

Depends on what you grow up with. My interest for music (and strangely most of my other interests too) started in late 1974.

I didn't really listen to music until I was about 12 (1982).  Then it was a very quick path Saturday Night Fever -> The Wall -> Freeze Frame -> Pyromania -> to everything metal.  By 1985 I was a full metal addict, but only the stuff that was current and new at the time.  

5 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

The pussies were on their shirts!

That guitarist looked like he had a future with an accordion. And balding.

I'll  have to go back and look at their shirts. Couldn't get above the seam at the bottom except for that tiny slit up their thighs. 

7 hours ago, sonic1974 said:

It's all bullshit, plenty of awesome music and specifically rock being made. Just have to dig around a bit and not expect stuff to sound exactly like it did in any given specific era. 

Dead on. You won’t find it on your local radio station. They’re playing what passes for country these days or some flavor of the month boy band. Most so called rock stations are still playing Stairway to Heaven five times a day. Thank god for Spotify, Pandora or Sirius. If you are lucky enough to live in a city that supports live original music you will find it in the clubs. That was the case for me when I lived outside of Portland Maine. They would have 5 or 6 live acts to choose from on a Tuesday night. Name touring acts out pushing their newest release. I live in a city now twice as big as Portland but these Philistines go out and if the band doesn’t play Freebird they suck.  

18 hours ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

My mom did have many of those "Disco" sampler albums by KTel, Polystar (I don't know, if you're familar with those or if it was a german or european thing). The mix on those albums was quite weird sometimes Gloria Gaynor, Thin Lizzy, Abba, Barry White, Aerosmith, Bee Gees, Sparks, Mungo Jerry, Elton John, ELO, Leo Sayer, Rubettes, Hall and Oate....

I remember John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John starred in "Grease" and everybody except me loved it. 

John Travolta was in Grease? I only remember Oilivia 💘😍 And, to make sure I wouldn't forget her I had her poster on the wall! The one from the movie in her black leather bad girl outfit. Yes, next to Heather Thomas and  Farrah Fawcett (even though I preferred Jaclyn Smith as my angel).

And, in regards to those k-teI  records ... I actually believe that the wide variety of music most of us older cats were exposed to back then was a great thing; musically and societally. 

We would often listen to a wide variety of music on trips in the car with my parents in the 70s. It would go from Ray Charles, Steve Miller, Lawrence Welk, ABBA, soul, classical, Linda Ronstadt 😍, Donna Summer, gospel, Tony Orlando and Dawn, Kenny Rogers, old AM radio hits whatever. On TV it was Sonny and Cher, Hee Haw, American Bandstand, Soul Train, Lawrence Welk to the late night rock concerts like cheap trick etc. Total variety!

Societally, it seemed to give everybody something more in common that we ALL could relate to, some common ground.

Nowadays (that's an old folks word!), everything is so divided and sub-divided that everyone is just into their own little world. 

Archived