Hamer Fan Club Message Center

This can't be good.

On 7/22/2019 at 11:26 AM, DeVai said:

So much for by musicians for musicians. Just like bullshit commercial music. The almighty dollar.

I used to buy a lot of LPs from a really good online vender called MusicDirect.com. For the last several attempts to go there, I'd get automatically redirected to Reverb.com. Today, to check up on the ramifications of the acquisition, I could find no LPs on Reverb.com, and I suspected somebody bought their LP inventory. It looks like MusicDirect.com is back in business. Yay.

23 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Reverb.com also had a thriving vinyl record business but it looks like tht has disappeared. Perhaps they sold that section to another buyer?

Yeah, I used to get emails about that all the time. 

14 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Yeah, I used to get emails about that all the time. 

MusicDirect.com is back in business.

2 hours ago, burningyen said:

Reverb's failure to implement standard search syntax (e.g. quotation marks, minus signs) has always been annoying.

That's true. But their filter criteria are usually pretty good.  One of the benefits of being a relatively focused marketplace is that you can create a hierarchical filter mechanism, even using some smart tools that build it based on parsing popular search data, and not have it be too cumbersome.

I think they might have purposely avoided too much limiting of search, as well. They are, at their heart, an advertising company and they want a certain number of things not necessarily the same, but related to, your search to appear as possible impulse items.  They might also be worried about how people game the search and Reverb is a little better than earlier internets sites for the ridiculous descriptions and titles meant to mislead or game the search. Ebay is straight up terrible to find things on because of that. Amazon, too. And too detailed a search can be as bad as not detailed enough.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:12 PM, kizanski said:

Something I had suspected for quite some time.

I spit my Jameson.  But I'm a guy that thinks dreams of being filthy rich are better than the actual thing.  In the long run...

What super sucks is that NY. state just started collecting sales tax on items bought on ebay. That's why I was so glad to finally find reverb. Probably just a matter of time till every transaction is taxed from every site. Man NY is probably gonna make more money from the tax thing than DWI's

Reverb is collecting tax from some states but not all.  Not really sure how they're determining nexus since scotus decided economic presence rather than physical presence.

Recently something at Wildwood Guitars caught my eye.  Turns out they're now charging state tax for items shipped to MS, so I went to their listing on Reverb and got it without paying tax.  Shit makes my head hurt.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:38 AM, scottcald said:

It's not just guitar nerds.  Whenever a smaller company that people like gets gobbled up by a larger one, the disingenuous statement of nothing will change and the seller declaring they still care and it's better for customers are always tossed around.  I think enough people have seen that not be the case before to be cynical about it.   I'm happy to hear any accounts about how some smaller company that was liked has had its customer service improve, they remained a separate entity and people who worked and shopped there were happier after it got gobbled up.  

The only one I can think of, music-related or not, is Suhr. There does not seem to be any difference that I can discern, and John still appears to be running the show. The details of that were really sketchy though, and I'm not even sure the deal ever completely went through.

But yes, when a large entity buys up a smaller, well-regarded company, it's almost always an exercise in idiocy.

UGGGHh. I'm just amazed etsy actually has money like that. They really... really kinda suck. We sell some stuff on etsy where I work, and their back end interface is THE PITS. They make it nearly impossible to get accurate shipping calculations for some reason. And also lots of small sellers have been screwed over by them.

Also some articles mention that David Kalt "former guitar store owner".  I though he was the CURRENT owner of Chicago Music Exchange?

With the recent sale of my last remaining Les Paul, I don't anticipate selling or buying any more guitars. Four Hamers and an SG are enough for me. I'm set on amps, and I don't use pedals, so I really don't have a need to use Reverb anymore. They have always treated me right, though.

Well, I wonder how long things are going to get shifted around. I went to SoundStageDirect.com to see what they had in LPs, and this time I got automatically redirected to the LP section of Reverb.com. Except this time the music was well sorted out, their selection (including some really obscure recordings), variety, and range were stunning, and their search engine and filters were fast and effective (though I don't expect my syntax is as specific and effective as the crew here).

I guess I won't know what to think until I try to buy something. Well, a 1980s LP is a lot cheaper than a vintage ES-335 if I want to test that out. :D

On 7/23/2019 at 11:20 PM, meathead321 said:

What super sucks is that NY. state just started collecting sales tax on items bought on ebay. That's why I was so glad to finally find reverb. Probably just a matter of time till every transaction is taxed from every site. Man NY is probably gonna make more money from the tax thing than DWI's

You were supposed to be paying that tax all along and listing it on your return as use tax.  

My last sale on Reverb they charged sales tax. It was a heavy PA speaker, using Reverbs shipping I saved $37.00 on the shipping. So some good some bad!

I sold a couple guitars this past week and Reverb shipping protection costs have nearly doubled and are no longer (maybe never were?) optional for anything that sells for more than $1500.  They wanted nearly $70 (more than half that was their protection) to ship from MS to AL (less than 500 miles).

Archived