Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Iron Maiden, Charlotte NC

Maiden is a great band that I listened to incessantly in high school but honestly don't spin much anymore. My pal Charles is pals w/ drummer Nicko McBrain, so we went and hung out last night, great show.

Maiden 1.JPG

Maiden 4.JPG

Nicko BK.jpg

I don't spin Maiden much anymore, either, but I think the first five--perhaps seven--albums are, by themselves, the most impressive and enduring of the NWOBHM era. Happy that you got to go see the show and meet the lads. Bruce and Steve seem to have gotten their water from the fountain of youth.

From the pictures it looks like it was an awesome show... the macabre stuff kind reminded me of Alice Coopers Million Dollar Baby show... lot’s of theatrics! 

Very cool.  They're coming to Chicago in a couple of months.  I was thinking about trying to see them.  Been since 2010 since I've caught Maiden live...

3 hours ago, Stike said:

How was Janick?

spacer.png

I knew there would be Janick bashing. 

1 hour ago, Rockola said:

Saw 'em CLT about 4 yrs ago. Was totally worth it. Shit, ppl flew from Brazil because it was easier to see than SA. 

You go, Sir!

Every Iron Maiden show is like a United Nations meeting.  You meet the people who travel to different continents to follow the band around.  There was a guy from Italy at the show last night.  Another guy in the audience was from England.  There were Brazilian flags.  One girl brought her Australian flag.  It is one thing to know a band has international success, and another thing to experience that international fan community sort of like the way we do here on this message board with members flying around the world and meeting each other. 

Awesome pics, Brooks.  My 16yo son would faint if he got to meet Nicko - one of his drumming idols. I listen to and play a lot of Maiden at home lately as a result.

Got us tickets for that show when they hit Phoenix in September. Looking forward to it!

19 hours ago, Stike said:

How was Janick?

spacer.png

Ya know, I don't like bashing musicians. I hate to say it, but his solos were garbage. He'd play fast as possible and it was sloppy, no buildup in emotion, no melodicism, just awful. Dave & Adrian sounded great as usual. Its nice that they kept their friend in the band when Adrian came back, but wow that dude sucked last night. 

8 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

053.JPG

We shall fight in France in the boulangeries, we shall fight on the seas and oceans at the cruise ship buffets, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight at Wendy's, we shall fight on the landing grounds of Carl's Jr., we shall fight in Dairy Queen and McDonald's, we shall fight in Sizzler; we shall never surrender.

serveimage.jpeg

This is kinda funny!!

In part one of the massive undertaking, guitarist Janick Gers makes the shocking admission to MU Staff writer Michael "OverkillExposure" Smith that he actually has never played a note both in the studio or live. The following is an excerpt from the interview:

Michael Smith: Now I have been watching closely to many of the bands performances over the years. How is it possible that you can swing your guitar fight off a towering Eddie monster with it and still actually play?

Janick Gers: It's funny because I get this all the time. Honestly, if you pulled my guitar cord all the way out, it actually isn't plugged in.

Michael Smith: Come again? Are you saying that you aren't actually playing? Just one show or all of them?

Janick Gers: All of them. Frankly, I never played a lick since Adrian re-joined the band, both in the studio or at gigs. The band said 'thanks Janick, but Adrian is back.' I asked them if I could stick around so long as I don't interfere with the rest of the band.

Michael Smith: So who's idea was it to agree to have a third guitarist that doesn't play?

Janick Gers: We all agreed that it would be cool to be known as a band with three guitarists. Originally, we had an idea of me playing rhythm live while Dave and Adrian played dueling solos. That idea didn't last as Dave and Adrian wanted to showcase their talents separately. So at that point I said, well I'll just provide the entertainment. Send Eddie after me and I'll play along.

Michael Smith: So, wouldn't this just be a version of air guitaring?

Janick Gers: Well....no - I have a guitar on. Occasionally, I pluck a string.

1 hour ago, Brooks said:

Ya know, I don't like bashing musicians. I hate to say it, but his solos were garbage. He'd play fast as possible and it was sloppy, no buildup in emotion, no melodicism, just awful. Dave & Adrian sound great as usual. Its great that they kept their friend in the band when Adrian came back, but wow that dude sucked last night. 

Damn, I was just looking for an excuse to post that Stuart from Mad TV gif. 😄

15 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I knew there would be Janick bashing. 

Perhaps there's a fine line between "bashing" Gers and simply critiquing his playing and stage antics. Admittedly, my critiques of Gers likely tilt toward bashing more often than not, but it's probably out of juvenile frustration at the band for retaining him even when it appears obvious to me (and many others, it seems) that his contributions are more of a distraction than an additive. It makes me think of what AC/DC would sound like if Yngwie joined the band.

Having said that, they're still at the top of the HWOBHM heap for me, and both Dave and H sound terrific. I don't think they've lost much of anything chops-wise. 

And then, there's this.  Well, Dave--via genetics, I suppose--showed signs of a double chin back in his late '20s, so I think it's as much a function of heredity and age as it is diet that he presents somewhat of a Gary Richrath-like or Howard Leese-like appearance. It would be cool to have his gig, no matter how many chins I had. 

21 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

053.JPG

3 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Perhaps there's a fine line between "bashing" Gers and simply critiquing his playing and stage antics. Admittedly, my critiques of Gers likely tilt toward bashing more often than not, but it's probably out of juvenile frustration at the band for retaining him even when it appears obvious to me (and many others, it seems) that his contributions are more of a distraction than an additive. It makes me think of what AC/DC would sound like if Yngwie joined the band.

Having said that, they're still at the top of the HWOBHM heap for me, and both Dave and H sound terrific. I don't think they've lost much of anything chops-wise. 

And then, there's this.  Well, Dave--via genetics, I suppose--showed signs of a double chin back in his late '20s, so I think it's as much a function of heredity and age as it is diet that he presents somewhat of a Gary Richrath-like or Howard Leese-like appearance. It would be cool to have his gig, no matter how many chins I had. 

He can also well afford to eat in the finest restaurants and drink the finest beer and wine there is.   ;)

On 7/23/2019 at 9:57 AM, Steve Haynie said:

Last night I did not take many photos.  Normally with good stage lights there will be over 300 to get maybe 10 worthwhile photos.  Out of about 100 from last night these are the best I got. 

053.JPG

Dear Dave: We’ve loved your playing forever but, time for an intervention on the Hagen Dazs.

Fantastic!!!

I love Maiden and they continue to put on a great show.  I’ve seen them pretty much every time in the UK since ‘88 and thanks to a friend many times as a VIP.

In person they’re great guys too.  In fact the only member I haven’t managed to chat with is Adrian Smith sadly.  I’d love to ask him about his Hamer Standard and Dean Mini ML...

On 7/23/2019 at 7:01 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Every Iron Maiden show is like a United Nations meeting.  You meet the people who travel to different continents to follow the band around.  There was a guy from Italy at the show last night.  Another guy in the audience was from England.  There were Brazilian flags.  One girl brought her Australian flag.  It is one thing to know a band has international success, and another thing to experience that international fan community sort of like the way we do here on this message board with members flying around the world and meeting each other. 

Agreed - the guys beside me were from Scotland and made the trip. It's sorta like a gathering at Rush show but w/ 25% more women. 

Archived