Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Walter Becker guitars going to auction

No word on if his B-Way's will be in there, but that could be a good advert for burningyen if they do. Julien's doesn't give a listing, just a link to order a catalog. 🙄

They do mention some with low estimates. Won't go anywhere near Gilmour territory, but will likely bring significantly more than the listed numbers.

an original signature model #1 Sadowsky guitar, which went into production while Becker played this prototype extensively on stage (estimate: $10,000-$15,000);

a fine early example of an Excel model archtop guitar, hand built by luthier John D'Angelico, with a spruce top and maple body with a sunburst finish, fitted with a Grover DeLuxe tailpiece, ebony bridge and fretboard (estimate: $10,000-$15,000);

a double cutaway strat-style Hahn guitar that was one of Walter Becker’s favorite stage instruments, with a distinctive green sparkle and fitted with a solid maple neck above three single coil pickups (estimate: $8,000-$10,000);

a 1961 Fender Stratocaster electric guitar with double cutaway alder body (estimate: $10,000-$12,000);

a 1955 Gibson ES-5 archtop electric guitar with natural finish maple body and spruce top (estimate: $8,000-$10,000);

a 1957 Fender Duo-Sonic electric guitar which is being played by Walter Becker in a photograph used in the liner notes to the 1977 Steely Dan album Aja (estimate: $4,000-$6,000);

a James Tyler Classic model solid body electric made for, and played often by Becker (estimate: $3,000-$5,000);

an extensively stage played Ian Anderson Standard electric guitar (estimate: $3,000-$5,000);

The Tyler will bring $30k easy just for the much-beloved headstock. 🙃 (I actually do like those headstocks. Minority opinion around here, I know.)

So sign up early and bid freely. http://www.juliensauctions.com/exhibition-press-release?id=296

Friday, October 18 - Saturday, October 19, 2019

His Ian Anderson guitar is stellar. If anyone here can buy that guitar for less than 5K, they will be forever in my debt for recommending it.  Ian told me that Walter's and mine were his favorites.  He won't tell you that now, but he told me that more than once.  Very special guitars.

e9CQRGq.jpg

My friend Chris Forshage built 3 guitars for Walter Becker, but so far I haven’t seen any mention of them. 

Please let me know if anyone comes across a listing. I doubt I’d be able to buy any of them, but it would be cool to see some Forshages keeping company with all that great gear! 

On 7/26/2019 at 12:00 PM, Kurt L said:

My friend Chris Forshage built 3 guitars for Walter Becker.

Cool! Seems like WB kept more than a few indie luthiers busy, including B-way. Nice to have a patron whose checks don't bounce, no?

6 minutes ago, RobB said:

Cool! Seems like WB kept more than a few indie luthiers busy, including B-way. Nice to have a patron whos checks don't bounce, no?

Absolutely!!!

Gotta admit, I’m a little sad I never got to see one of Chris’s guitars onstage at a Steely Dan show. 

On 7/29/2019 at 7:04 AM, burningyen said:

Julien’s has been in touch to get info on Walter’s two B-Ways, which will be on the block. Everything will be.

Well that's good to hear that they are doing their research.  I didn't realize until yesterday that Becker died from aggressive esophageal cancer. Only lasted 4 months after diagnosis, and he was undergoing very strong chemo at Sloan Kettering around the time he passed. They found it as a result of a routine physical.

He was, by all accounts, a great guy. He also was an avid supporter of smaller amplifier and guitar makers, something you don't see often from a lot of the "big names", who are often all about endorsement deals.  I've never really understood that, when there are great small builders who will literally build you WHATEVER YOU WANT.

Archived