Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tell me about Korina...

Funky Chicken

I like the slight change it brings from mahogany. I was inspired by two CO Hamers, each of which had a korina body and neck, with ebony board (one) Brazilian (the other). Add a softwood top (redwood) over a chambered body and the piezo option and I am in love with it. This guitar has really spoiled me. It can do just about anything.....More than I am capable of doing, of course. Tone is in the ear of the beholder, but I like the difference in the mids, with a touch of "air" from the chambering.....Add a bit of "crispness" from a slight "acoustic" edge, as desired.

shishkov41.jpg

shishkov37.jpg

Shishkov 1.jpeg

My Baker BJ Elite is all Korina.  It has a fantastic "mahogany-style" sound with just a bit warmer top end, to my ears.  I've owned a bunch of Gibson Korina Flying V guitars and the only one that sounded funky was a bit heavy for me.  If I were to make a simple analogy; Limba sounds like mahogany.

QcBzV4A.jpg

UQX7bfI.jpg

Let the death threats commence!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have the only Korina Chandler Telepathic that was featured in Guitar Player Magazine.  It's, basically, a Tele thin-line.  Very warm sounding guitar compared to Fenders of similar configuration.  Seymour hand wound the pickups for the prototypes (mine is one of three models featured in the magazine).

JErK9Cb.jpg

7ja0NjL.jpg

BneDlw0.jpg

I’d agree that Korina is pretty close to Mahogany, but there’s (at least to my lousy ears) a bit more midranginess to it.   Seems to be pretty similar, otherwise.   If given the choice, I’d stick with my Korina guitars overall.

Maybe a bit lighter than mahogany. Maybe the sound is a bit more airy. Maybe I just like the looks of it. Or maybe I just like singing "Korina Korina!"

I can't tell you why, but my Korina Artists are my favorite playing/sounding guitars.

If I could have a Shishkov, I would want a Korina Newport Pro or similar.

But I can't afford one and I don't think he'd build one if I could so I'll stick with what I got.

5 minutes ago, Hbom said:

If I could have a Shishkov, I would want a Korina Newport Pro or similar.

But I can't afford one and I don't think he'd build one if I could so I'll stick with what I got.

He won’t build a Hamer design, but it never know what might be in the works!

19 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

He won’t build a Hamer design,

That's my understanding and I understand why. But it's the lack of funds and old age that keep me from buying a Shishkov, not the style of guitar he builds.

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

He won’t build a Hamer design,

Doesn't have to be a Hamer design to cop the same vibe.

The magic of that Hamer was spruce top, hollow body, etc.  And the Shishkov built to that mandate will be cool as it gets, even if it isn't that precise shape and size of the 'Port.  You know he understands it better than anyone.

Also, Josh sold me some pickups for a studio (I don't care for JBs) and the very first thing that came to mind when I put them in was "Man, these would be killer in something like a Newport."

IMHO, Korina sounds brighter and warmer than Mahogany. I also believe/agree there is an acoustical quality in most of the Korina guitars that are not chambered you don't find with a Mahogany guitar. If you are looking for that '70's tone with some snap, then I think a Korina built design is what you are looking for. 

Hamerica

7 hours ago, DBraz said:

My own opinion is that if mahogany is 9 in terms of how warm it sounds and maple a 2 then Korina is a 6.  

Definitely more midrange and sweeter in the higher register.

Your analysis is just why I hate the Vintage S model Hamer.  A maple body isn't warm and has a "higher register" that's brittle.  No pickups can hide it.

21 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I’d agree that Korina is pretty close to Mahogany, but there’s (at least to my lousy ears) a bit more midranginess to it.   Seems to be pretty similar, otherwise.   If given the choice, I’d stick with my Korina guitars overall.

This is an accurate assessment. The difference is subtle but real. But your pickup choices are gonna have a MUCH larger tonal effect.

13 hours ago, The Shark said:

Your analysis is just why I hate the Vintage S model Hamer.  A maple body isn't warm and has a "higher register" that's brittle.  No pickups can hide it.

My recollection about the Vintage S and other similar models is that they came out and were designed in the era of hi-fi rackmounted systems when many guitarists were going through refrigerator-sized Bradshaw-type stuff v. cable to a tube amp.  The clarity and brightness were by design.

Some data, though it won’t directly translate to what our ears hear and hands feel.  And natural variations. Similar properties so I would guess selection of trees/boards will make a large difference instrument to instrument. Limbs is a little less dense, a little less hard than Mahogany on average.

Limba (Terminalia superba)

Limba (Terminalia superba)

View More Images Below

Common Name(s): Limba, Black Limba, White Limba, Korina, Afara

Scientific Name: Terminalia superba

Distribution: Tropical western Africa

Tree Size: 65-100 ft (20-30 m) tall, 5-7 ft (1.5-2.2 m) trunk diameter

Average Dried Weight: 35 lbs/ft3 (555 kg/m3)

Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .43, .56

Janka Hardness: 670 lbf (2,990 N)

Modulus of Rupture: 12,510 lbf/in2 (86.2 MPa)

Elastic Modulus: 1,520,000 lbf/in2 (10.49 GPa)

Crushing Strength: 6,580 lbf/in2 (45.4 MPa)

Shrinkage: Radial: 4.3%, Tangential: 6.3%, Volumetric: 10.8%, T/R Ratio: 1.5

Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla)

Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla)

View More Images Below

Common Name(s): Honduran Mahogany, Honduras Mahogany,
American Mahogany, Genuine Mahogany, Big-Leaf Mahogany, Brazilian Mahogany

Scientific Name: Swietenia macrophylla

Distribution: From Southern Mexico to central South America;
also commonly grown on plantations

Tree Size: 150-200 ft (46-60 m) tall, 3-6 ft (1-2 m) trunk diameter

Average Dried Weight: 37 lbs/ft3 (590 kg/m3)

Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .52, .59

Janka Hardness: 900 lbf (4,020 N)

Modulus of Rupture: 11,710 lbf/in2 (80.8 MPa)

Elastic Modulus: 1,458,000 lbf/in2 (10.06 GPa)

Crushing Strength: 6,760 lbf/in2 (46.6 MPa)

Shrinkage: Radial: 2.9%, Tangential: 4.3%, Volumetric: 7.5%, T/R Ratio: 1.5

And hard maple 

Common Name(s): Hard Maple, Sugar Maple, Rock Maple

Scientific Name: Acer saccharum

Distribution: Northeastern North America

Tree Size: 80-115 ft (25-35 m) tall, 2-3 ft (.6-1.0 m) trunk diameter

Average Dried Weight: 44 lbs/ft3 (705 kg/m3)

Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .56, .71

Janka Hardness: 1,450 lbf (6,450 N)

Modulus of Rupture: 15,800 lbf/in2 (109.0 MPa)

Elastic Modulus: 1,830,000 lbf/in2 (12.62 GPa)

Crushing Strength: 7,830 lbf/in2 (54.0 MPa)

Shrinkage: Radial: 4.8%, Tangential: 9.9%, Volumetric: 14.7%, T/R Ratio: 2.1

Here is a late add.....Do not be afraid of thinking outside the box, just a bit. Here is a quick example. This one (not made by Mike) has a 1 piece korina body, korina neck, BRW board. Near as simple as can be. But made by a guy pretty well known for making high end versions of "vintage style" guitars. (Ken's updated version of a 335 has a very vintage take,  but at a price that is up there). As best I know, this is a one-off, though you can hear him saying he will do more....I was lucky enough to stumble onto it on the rebound.

I have only spent a short time with it, but find the gold foil very well matched, volume wise, with the HB bridge. But if I roll back the tone (neck) it does nice clean jazz tones. Tone knob back up a bit, volume down, I surprised myself with some long since (almost) forgotten Ventures tunes. And I REALLY like the sounds out of this low fi pickup.

Not to get carried away with that, but just to point out (as so many of us know) that if you tell Mike what you want, he will deliver in spades. Just one little sound clip of a korina guitar.

8 hours ago, cmatthes said:

My recollection about the Vintage S and other similar models is that they came out and were designed in the era of hi-fi rackmounted systems when many guitarists were going through refrigerator-sized Bradshaw-type stuff v. cable to a tube amp.  The clarity and brightness were by design.

I had a stereo rig that Steve Lukather would have been proud of.  Hughes & Kettner Access Preamp and stereo Power amp with a bunch of outboard stuff through a mixer.  Just fucking ridiculous!  I had about seven grand invested at one point.  Three cabs on the back line (one dry and two wet) with a stage front monitor.  And I hated all maple guitars just the same!

But, yes, you are correct Chris.  Thank god for technology.  Now, I have a couple of one twelve flat response monitors with about 2K watts each and a pedalboard that is light years ahead of that old rig.  But it was fun.  Eight EL-84's in that power amp and it ate them like candy.  Used to cost me more to tube that amp than tune up my BMW!

7 minutes ago, The Shark said:

I had a stereo rig that Steve Lukather would have been proud of.  Hughes & Kettner Access Preamp and stereo Power amp with a bunch of outboard stuff through a mixer.  Just fucking ridiculous!  I had about seven grand invested at one point.  Three cabs on the back line (one dry and two wet) with a stage front monitor.  And I hated all maple guitars just the same!

But, yes, you are correct Chris.  Thank god for technology.  Now, I have a couple of one twelve flat response monitors with about 2K watts each and a pedalboard that is light years ahead of that old rig.  But it was fun.  Eight EL-84's in that power amp and it ate them like candy.  Used to cost me more to tube that amp than tune up my BMW!

The good old daze, no? In my case, it was Eight 6L6s in a Mesa Two Ninety power amp. With, briefly, four more in a MK-II combo for the dry tone. Sure glad I do not have to tote that today.

13 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Shit, I just ran a Rockman into a power amp or a big clean Twin....

I did the same - I ran my Rockman onto a Peavey Classic or Silverface Twin for most of the 80s.

Archived