Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
draelyc

1 Hamer Mirage + 2 great amps :)

Some days, you roll out of bed, and before you can start your day, you just gotta crank up yer amps...

• Like 7

So I captured this vid on my iPhone, and when I play it back on my phone, both amps sound pretty good.  But when I play it on my office computer’s speakers, it sounds like the Bogner just destroys the Budda.  Y’all hearing that, too? 

Playing this thru my main system .....its not even close. the Bogner sounds full, meaty, with nice tone!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Playing this thru my main system .....its not even close. the Bogner sounds full, meaty, with nice tone!

Thanks!  Yeah, that’s how it’s striking me too.  Wow.  The Budda sounded better than that in the room, I thought at the time.    🤷‍♂️

Posted (edited)

I heard the Buddha as being a bit smoother or maybe more compressed... had a real smooth upper midrange with gentle harmonics.

The Buddha also was the muuuuuch better sounding lead amp. The Bogner’s up front upper mids gave the leads a raspier and almost harsh tone... the Buddha sounded like a whole different world. Buddha made me want to hear more. To my ears the lead tones were completely night and day.

The Bogner has more presence and a dynamic quality to the lower strings... made the upper strings sound thin though. The Buddha has more even tone and the upper strings are beefier and more round... the lower strings sit nicely in the mix where they jump out of the speakers with the Bogner.

Personally, I would use the Bogner for rhythm and the Buddha for leads with an AB switch.

what are the speakers? I’d be curious to know...

nice comparison!

Edited by zenmindbeginner
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

I heard the Buddha as being a bit smoother or maybe more compressed... had a real smooth upper midrange with gentle harmonics.

The Buddha also was the muuuuuch better sounding lead amp. The Bogner’s up front upper mids gave the leads a raspier and almost harsh tone... the Buddha sounded like a whole different world. Buddha made me want to hear more. To my ears the lead tones were completely night and day.

The Bogner has more presence and a dynamic quality to the lower strings... made the upper strings sound thin though. The Buddha has more even tone and the upper strings are beefier and more round... the lower strings sit nicely in the mix where they jump out of the speakers with the Bogner.

Personally, I would use the Bogner for rhythm and the Buddha for leads with an AB switch.

what are the speakers? I’d be curious to know...

nice comparison!

Thanks!  The Bogner cab is closed back and has a Celestion CL80 in it, which is what comes stock with the 1x12 combo version of the Shiva.  The Budda combo is open back and has the stock Budda Phat speaker, which I think has a LOT to do with the smoother upper midrange you mentioned.  

I really want to try recording them both again with the iPhone in a different place in the room, to see how that affects how each amp comes across...

Just for fun, I got a wild hair today and tried running my Boss MS-3 in stereo in to both amps' clean channels, using only the Boss's digital distortion/overdrive for gain.  Thought I'd toss that up here, too, while we're comparing. :) 

Whoa, that’s cool!

Here is a short video of a recording made with the itrack with my iPhone 6.

• Like 2

All right, last vid for a while ~ perhaps till I pick up that awesome looking doodad, mathman! :)  I know this is getting tedious.  But I was really curious how much difference a different angle would make in the same room with the same amps at the same settings.  So, fwiw, if you're bored or something... :)