Hamer Fan Club Message Center

In memory of Jimmy Johnson

There's more than one person in the music business named Jimmy Johnson. The one I'm referring to was the longtime guitar tech for Tommy Shaw of Styx. Johnson died on 24 JUL in his motel room while on the road with the band. Before his affiliation with Styx, he teched for Rush.

He was also the inventor/marketer of Gorgomyte guitar fret/fretboard cleaner.

Shaw has put up an eloquent memorial commentary on the Styx official web site: Go to https://styxworld.com/ then scroll down to "The Latest".

Talk about unexpected---things like this can (and perhaps should) make someone aware of his/her own mortality. In my dealings with him (usually trading magazines for guitar picks during load-in), he was a consummate pro (polite but firm if necessary), just like everyone else affiliated with the Styx road experience.

Wow! I worked with Jimmy a long time ago when my friend was opening up for Tesla. At the time, he was on loan to Tesla since Rush was off the road. He was a super nice guy and definitely knew his craft. I was just starting out as a tech so I was was asking him about everything. He gave me his business card and said to call him anytime if I had any questions. I think I still have that card somewhere. 

I believe I bought some Gorgamyte directly from him years ago....if it was him, he was very polite and very cool.

RIP either way.

There are so many important and irreplaceable people behind the scenes.  The damnable fact of it all is that they were such precious friends to those they served.  My best friend Phil died about two years ago.  He was at every gig I ever played from 1978 until 2016.  I miss him every gig.  Sometimes, more than others.

Archived