Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Peavey Auction August 2019

Hbom

I wanted to write a witty remark about bidding one dollar on those lots of Vyper amps and "Stage Packs", but in hindsight, I bet one could seriously low-bid any of those pallets and flip those shitboxes at a flea market for a nice profit during the Christmas holiday season.

I went thru most of the list... if a band is needing a PA there’s a ton of choices. Most audio/lighting contracts spec for higher end stuff, but Peavey stuff for bar gig’s is good enough. 

6 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Finally, I will be able to afford that floor-to-ceiling Mace backline I always dreamed about

I used a Mace in the 80’s. I can’t even imagine the deafening sound a wall of them would make!!

2 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Sad. I had a Classic 30, a Classic 50, a Delta Blues.  I thought they were well made. Good bang for the buck.  The tweed lined up perfectly.  How many workers lost their jobs?

I use a Delta Blues (1x15) fairly regularly. Awesome amp, actually

10 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Sad. I had a Classic 30, a Classic 50, a Delta Blues.  I thought they were well made. Good bang for the buck.  The tweed lined up perfectly.  How many workers lost their jobs?

From what I read, this auction process is a long-overdue liquidation of NIB/returned finished goods, along with raw materials and components from lines that were shutdown or scuttled a few years ago. 

I had a JSX head, several Classic 30s, a Delta Blues - all decent amps.

But Hartley Peavey (and family) is slime. I wouldn't touch anything with his name on it if they were giving it away.

2 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I went thru most of the list... if a band is needing a PA there’s a ton of choices. Most audio/lighting contracts spec for higher end stuff, but Peavey stuff for bar gig’s is good enough. 

At one time there were tour riders that said, "NO PEAVEY."  Someone who bought a bunch of Mackie stuff laughed at Peavey, but soon riders were saying, "No Peavey / No Mackie."  It is easy to understand.  Someone asked for a PA system and showed up to find a four channel mixer and two speaker boxes about the size of a small guitar amp.  There were mixers made for people who needed something cheap. 

Peavey did make some high end and expensive PA gear.  It was used in big installations.  One line of Peavey gear was aimed at the same buyers who bought JBL and QSC products.  That Peavey series was good stuff. 

This has to be interesting to other manufacturers.  The electronics can be used in other companies' products.  Those shop equipment items can be good, too. 

Over $10M Parts Inventory: to Include, Wood and Plastic Speaker Cabinets, Drum Set Parts, Guitar Cases, Shipping Cases, Speakers and Sub Woofers, Resisters, Capacitors, Cables, Switches, Transister’s, Diode’s & Much More

Assets to Include: Saws, Drill Presses, Shapers, Sanders, Stitchers, Presses & Large Qty of Raw Materials to include, Maple, Ash, Walnut and Mahogany.

3 hours ago, Camstone said:

If an auction is held in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

No. Not anyone that matters anyway. You'll just annoy the bears.

The best on-the-road bass amps I have ever had were my array of Peavey Mark VIIIs. Sure, they weighed a ton and had a shitload of connections and buttons I didn't want or use, plus they didn't sound like anything all that special (SansAmp Bass Driver to the rescue!) ... but they were far louder than the specs would indicate and ended up being dead-reliable tanks that survived more abuse than any piece of gear deserves.

I sold Peavey at Abney's Discount Music in Orlando in the early nineties while going to college.  I was on commission.  Peavey put me through college (the second time).  The gear hit a price point.  I made a good living.  I had fond memories every time I didn't have to write a check for my non-existent student loans!

I worked for Peavey back in the early to mid '80s. I had a hand in designing a bunch of products during that time, including several guitars and basses. Nothing came from offshore in those days. Here are just a few examples of what I contributed to. (Note- I never made enough money working there to start a collection. All of this (and more) came from scouring ebay and craigslist over the years.)

Peaveys 7-5-2008 003.jpg

Peaveys 7-5-2008 036.jpg

Peaveys 7-5-2008 043.jpg

Peaveys 7-5-2008 006.jpg

Played Peavey amps in every size throughout most of my youth. Had a kick ass VTM 50 watt and matching 4 x 12 amp in my 20's. For the aspiring bedroom rock star, you couldn't beat 'em.

My Leakesville made Peavey Firenza Soapbar is a killer sleeper hog P90s axe. I will sell it here soon for stupid cheap to add to the Shishkov fund.

I would think other manufacturers would be all over the ash, maple, and mahogany. I bet there are some great pieces there.

...and man, it would be cool to score a Buddha at a nice price....

Archived