Hamer Fan Club Message Center

HFC member custom Chaparral in my workshop for a re-fret [Video]...

Video part 2: 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I have fixed 60-ish chips on the fretboard (most of whiuch were left by the last guy who refretted the guitar). Images are before, during and after (the last 2 are after)...

before.jpg

after.jpg

ready01.jpg

I still need to sand / re-radius the fretboard before I install the new frets...

ready02.jpg

Thank You for doing this Vic!! Looks like you’re doing a great job!!! Just curious do you use the new aluminum radius blocks or the old wood ones? I’m still using the old wood ones from Stewart Mac, I haven’t heard enough about the aluminum radius blocks to invest in them. 

43 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

Thank You for doing this Vic!! Looks like you’re doing a great job!!! Just curious do you use the new aluminum radius blocks or the old wood ones? I’m still using the old wood ones from Stewart Mac, I haven’t heard enough about the aluminum radius blocks to invest in them. 

I have the 16 inch aluminium ones (from Guitars and Woods, Portugal). In fact, I just realised I did not have a 14 inch radius so I just ordered one today. I already have 7.25 / 9.5 / 10 / 12 / 16 inch ones (heck knows why I got a 16 inch radius as it's never been used lol). They cost around £53 GBP each delivered (that's around $65 US). I have my old wooden ones which I rarely use. My aluminium ones are 16 inch length and I only use them for radiusing boards and clamping new frets down. I still do my fret levelling with a flat beam...

I'm gonna do this guitar justice...

Still waiting on a 14 inch radius sanding beam to arrive before I can refret this guitar. That said, I had a full day of tattoo work done last Wednesday (almost completed my right sleeve) and that still smarts so I am enjoying the time outta the worskshop...

Board re-radiused, chips fixed, ready for new frets... 

01.jpg

I had to hammer the first 10 frets in as the body/neck is too thick to go under my fret press (arbor). I'll put the rest in on the press. These are cut to size (tangs are cut to exact width) so it will be easy to trim and bevel later... 

02.jpg

I will bevel by hand to around 15 degrees. That way, you have a wider fret to play wiht...

03.jpg.4e972ad91faee72ced66f7b34754025d.jpg

Say, do you pull the old frets straight up and out or do they slide out from the side? I remember reading where EVH said Fender pulled theirs out from the side when refretting a guitar. I don't know how common that is.

1 hour ago, FGJ said:

Say, do you pull the old frets straight up and out or do they slide out from the side? I remember reading where EVH said Fender pulled theirs out from the side when refretting a guitar. I don't know how common that is.

Only vintage Fenders go in sideways as far as I know. These came out topside. Came out pretty easy but the chips left by the previous guy that refretted the guitar were horrific in some places. Fixed around 65 of them to get this fretboard ready for the new frets...

Frets are in but need the sides/bevels doing. As mentioned, I have bevel to around 15 degrees. This gives more fret width to play with...

IMG_20190905_160335.jpg

IMG_20190905_160515.jpg

Oh and I spotted this! I'll plug the hole and re-drill...

IMG_20190905_160738.jpg

Work has been slow on this due to other commitments and due to the fact that I had to remove 2 frets that would not seat properly. In one case, the fret slots was too wide on one side so I filled it with rosewood dust and CA then recut it. There were many problems that were ignored by the guy whoi last refretted this a few years ago (I understand this guitar has been locked away in a cupboard since the last 'bodged' refret). All sorted now...

Frets are levelled/bevelled awaiting crowning then polishing...

IMG_20190912_140004.jpg

IMG_20190912_140013.jpg

Frets were crowned tonight. Polishing tomorrow...

Updates: Pictures 1 + 2: Polishing   /   Pictures 3 + 4: Polished   /   Pictures 5 + 6 Strap pin fix   /   Picture 7: Just a nice pic of the guitar refretted...

IMG_20190913_123558.jpg

IMG_20190913_123614.jpg

IMG_20190913_124505.jpg

IMG_20190913_124517.jpg

IMG_20190913_144646.jpg

IMG_20190913_144706.jpg

IMG_20190913_145715.jpg

I'm a big fan of these Trem Stoppers! Install these on loads of guitars. Ready for stringing / setting up...

IMG_20190914_171707.jpg

ready.jpg

Archived