Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NHD - Import Vintage S

What an incredible example of what made Hamer special.  

1 piece quilt body Sir? Check.

Ebony board Sir? Check.

Custom coloured logo and signature Sir? Check.

Custom small dot inlays Sir?  Check.

More Birdseye than a bird sanctuary Sir?  Yep, that’d do.

Custom control cavity and switching options, just in case Sir?  What the hell YES!

This one has a few other optimisations for the original owner - the body is more rounded off like of like an EMBB Luke when compared to a silhouette- it’s like a wicked sweet.

The neck is also very musician-y in feel and finish - which is something I love - being very partial to EBMM necks.

the jack is an edge mounted socket rather than the inverted strat plate that’s usual for these.

In fact adding the above stuff up, EMG set, floyd, comfy clubby very fast neck, compact extra rounded off body which are all reminiscent of the Luke I - I’m wondering whether that was some of the inspiration when it was being specced up for order - it’s A 1990 so maybe predates the EBMM model... not sure?

Elegant touch, the Dunlop strap lock buttons are recessed into the body - really neat!

Love that green finish. Then again, I love most green finishes.

This seems to be as tricked out from standard specs as I've seen any catalog model. But here's the thing...is it a refin?  If not, where's the "USA" on the headstock?

vintage s.jpg

42 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

This seems to be as tricked out from standard specs as I've seen any catalog model. But here's the thing...is it a refin?  If not, where's the "USA" on the headstock?

vintage s.jpg

Not to mention I've never seen an artist's name displayed as such other than Steve Stevens. 

52 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

vintage s.jpg

A little play on the import/ imported thing :)

9 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Not to mention I've never seen an artist's name displayed as such other than Steve Stevens. 

I’d need to defer to Peter on that for exact info - but my understanding is the original owner was Bob Davis the editor of Guitar World.

Peter kindly shared some info ref the log book page with this guitar on it- the guitar prior was a double neck (probably Cali) for Tommy Shaw and the one afterwards was a Watson for Nancy Wilson.

Ben,  Glad you finally got the guitar with all the inspectors probably taking a turn plugging the guitar in........ 

This was a total custom order as it was made for a good friend of Jol.  He selected all the wood for the guitar and spec'ed it out for him. On the logo, I believe this had something to do with it being a gold logo.  This was the same with the 6 Futura prototypes that were done as well that had the gold logos. But I can 100% vouch it is not a refin and it is USA made and as Ben noted, it is logged in the serial number book as that was info directly from Jol who checked it and verified it for me.

Enjoy Ben and thanks.  Ben is aces to deal with too!!!

Peter

That neck - the body!?!?!?    OK, having drooled over many and owned  two, that is the absolute baddest Vintage S made. 

Congrats on that get - wowza.

So it doesn't look like its configured or set up for the usual pre-amp EQ - the Copeland TC300 on-board EQ?  So no EQ, but switches do what?  I think we are due a thorough review please.   :)

That quilt looks like it could have a trout cruise through it at any time - unbelievable material selection and build quality from those Hamer folks.

7 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

I've seen it several times - even owned one!  I'm still not sure who "Ravin P. Einstein" (???) is/was...

Hamer RN sig.jpg

Hamer 91 Sunburst sig.jpg

On 8/2/2019 at 5:12 PM, HamStd said:

This was a total custom order as it was made for a good friend of Jol.  He selected all the wood for the guitar and spec'ed it out for him. On the logo, I believe this had something to do with it being a gold logo.  This was the same with the 6 Futura prototypes that were done as well that had the gold logos. But I can 100% vouch it is not a refin and it is USA made and as Ben noted, it is logged in the serial number book as that was info directly from Jol who checked it and verified it for me.

Thanks, Peter. It never dawned on me that the gold logo was a sort of one-off.  I love it with these specs, particularly the quilt, the radiused edges, and the green finish.

On 8/3/2019 at 4:08 AM, Boomerang~Junkie said:

That neck - the body!?!?!?    OK, having drooled over many and owned  two, that is the absolute baddest Vintage S made. 

Congrats on that get - wowza.

So it doesn't look like its configured or set up for the usual pre-amp EQ - the Copeland TC300 on-board EQ?  So no EQ, but switches do what?  I think we are due a thorough review please.   :)

That quilt looks like it could have a trout cruise through it at any time - unbelievable material selection and build quality from those Hamer folks.

I’m sure I can put something together !

Ello - first couple of notes to pass on.

I had a chance to plug it in and give it a quick fiddle, and pre changing strings (currently 10s - will be 9s soon) the feel is great.

Pickups are an 89 in the bridge position, which splits with a pull pot nearest the bridge which is a master volume - no surprises so far...

The mini three switches are on/off for each pickup - on being down position - which is nice to use - and reduces risk of accidentally turning it all off!

The second and third rotary switches appear to be two boosts, one for mids and the other for treble - these were really thoughtfully designed, as with both turned to minimum (eg - flat EQ I guess) - sounds great with any pickup selection combination - equally, with everything maxed - the same applies - just more bigger-er.

I'm thrilled with it - seriously - it could have been made for me - the materials, hardware, teeny tiny dot markers - all spot on.

More when I have it...

Cheers!
Ben.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:02 PM, Andrew said:

What's up with them? Too mean to fit proper size dots!

Such frugal fingerboard furniture.

HAHA!

The thing with this is I like tiny dot markers - as per you get on Centauras, and Music Man guitars - the dots on this guitar are weeeeny.

It immediately made me thing of this EBMM video - they show a really early Silhouette (which is another of my favourite guitars), and the dots on this one are even smaller than the main production run.

As I said about, I do get the feeling that there are some Music Man alike features on this Vintage S - if its purely coincidental then its lucky for me - as all of the features on this one are very cool for me!

On 8/2/2019 at 9:27 PM, Bennyboy-UK said:

I’d need to defer to Peter on that for exact info - but my understanding is the original owner was Bob Davis the editor of Guitar World.

Peter kindly shared some info ref the log book page with this guitar on it- the guitar prior was a double neck (probably Cali) for Tommy Shaw and the one afterwards was a Watson for Nancy Wilson.

Heres the proceeding SN guitar - looks like I got it wrong - the Watson was the one before this one...

https://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/110/lot/47400/?url=/view-auctions/catalog/id/110/%3Fpage%3D1%26__utma%3D1.1174024920.1386095477.1386095477.1386095477.1%26__utmb%3D1.11.10.1386095477%26__utmc%3D1%26__utmx%3D-%26__utmz%3D1.1386095477.1.1.utmcsr%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmccn%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmcmd%3D%28none%29%26__utmv%3D-%26__utmk%3D6486066%26key%3Dnancy%2Bwilson%26cat%3D%26xclosed%3Dno

Archived