Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So who’s the new guy ?

Just got back from working Cheap Trick in Rochester NY. This is not a concert review but some observations. Yes they rocked and Hamers were out. But there were some surprises. They had a third guitarist the whole show. He even sang lead on part of a song. However when Rick was introducing the band he did not name the guy. Is this a new thing or am I late for the party once again?? Tom actually sang lead on a song too. First time I’ve seen that. 

The other surprise was the opener. Talas. Billy Sheehan’s original band and yes Billy was on bass. I use to see them a few times a year back in the 70’s as they were from Buffalo and they hit Rochester all the time. He takes the bass to another level. I’m not sure if he reunited the band for a one and done but they sounded very good. Their music has held up well. Billy later joined Cheap Trick onstage for the last two songs of their show. Pretty interesting night. 

It's Robin's son, Robin Taylor.  He's been playing with the band live for a few years now.  He bolster's Robin's vocal parts, especially the higher, louder parts, and is a solid rhythm guitarist, which frees his dad up for concentrating on vocals.

Tom's been singing lead on a song and taking an extended 12 string bass solo for the last dozen, maybe 15 years or so.  Again, gives Robin's voice a rest mid-set, but also gives people a chance to head to the bathrooms/bars, because "Waitin' For The Man" fucking SUCKS!  :D

I would love to see that show. Especially with talas opening. 

I remember being a kid and falling asleep to my CD player playing “billy Sheehan the talas years” several times. Half studio, half live. Killer tunes. It’s the reason why I’ve heard 4 different versions of “shy boy”...

talas studio, live, DLR and Vai live at the Astoria...

9 hours ago, cmatthes said:

It's Robin's son, Robin Taylor.  He's been playing with the band live for a few years now.  He bolster's Robin's vocal parts, especially the higher, louder parts, and is a solid rhythm guitarist, which frees his dad up for concentrating on vocals.

Tom's been singing lead on a song and taking an extended 12 string bass solo for the last dozen, maybe 15 years or so.  Again, gives Robin's voice a rest mid-set, but also gives people a chance to head to the bathrooms/bars, because "Waitin' For The Man" fucking SUCKS!  :D

Thanks for the info. I’m surprised that they did not mention him when introducing the band members. Especially if he’s been with them for a few years and is Robin’s son.  And I did like Waiting For The Man but thought it was a bit long and the crowd did hit the bathrooms. 

Rick introduced Robin Taylor along with the rest of the band at the Waukegan, IL show on this tour.   Maybe he forgot in Rochester.

13 minutes ago, BadgerDave said:

Rick introduced Robin Taylor along with the rest of the band at the Waukegan, IL show on this tour.   Maybe he forgot in Rochester.

Maybe the younger Robin was grounded.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:54 PM, cmatthes said:

All these years I thought Robin was gay.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:54 PM, cmatthes said:

I am a weirdo, cause I love waiting for the man!

Proud though!

On 8/7/2019 at 3:36 PM, Ting Ho Dung said:

All these years I thought Robin was gay.

Robin never had any problem with girls.  He married a Playboy Playmate.  I know a couple of girls who have been drooling over him for 40 years.  A friend met Robin back in the 80s and said something about him hitting on somebody's girlfriend. 

People change over time, though.  Robin has been experimenting with Rob Halford's wardrobe in recent years. 

spacer.png

My wife and I caught a Zander family show in a small venue on the MD Eastern Shore a decade ago, and the kids (his son and daughter) are every bit as talented as Dad Robin.  They're incredibly gifted singers and musicians.

Let's stick to the topic and keep the homophobic stuff off our page, 'kay?

Posts removed.

15 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Let's stick to the topic and keep the homophobic stuff off our page, 'kay?

Posts removed.

I am not homophobic. I am bisexual. It was simply a joke about needing more strings to prove you are not gay. Simply a joke that the gays in the group would probably get. Went over your head and in no way criticized your hero. 

8 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

I am not homophobic. I am bisexual. It was simply a joke about needing more strings to prove you are not gay. Simply a joke that the gays in the group would probably get. Went over your head and in no way criticized your hero. 

Yours was one of the posts that was removed.  There was another.  It isn't always about you, Michael.  ;)

Archived