Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Any love for GMP?

Great guitars. They had a beautiful finish on every guitar they made. When a spotlight hit those with the sparkle finish it looked like a disco ball. The Roxie SS was my favorite.  They were expensive and I’m sure money had to do with why they went out of business.

I've had a few over the years.  Wide/flat necks on every one (except one) that I've played, so they're not for me.

This Roxie was just too amazing looking for me to take a swing on. The paint was meticulous and incredible, but the guitar was a complete dud (with a wide/flat neck, of course).

f1590117.jpg

This Roxie was ok.  Not dead like the one above, but ok.  Wide/flat neck... See ya...

GMP1.jpg

Then there's the exception which proves the rule.
Most veteran HFC-ers know this one.  I custom ordered it in 2004 and I spec'ed a large Gibson-like neck.
I sold it years later, bought it back years after that, and it's still here with me.
The GMP F-Bird which is named after the Gibson Firebird for its shape and the Pontiac Firebird for its weight. "Two Tons O'Tone!"

Hemibirdup.jpg

I think Dan Lawrence is still making GMPs as well as his custom finish business, but not at much of a scale. I snagged a Roxie for $450 that had been pretty bird-dogged, as they say here. A couple control holes filled, wiring in a weird configuration, Bigsby removed, Tune-o-matic installed, and most of the finish stripped and replaced with rattle-can lacquer grey. The original owner said the (very very heavy on the couple GMPs I saw) finish was flaking off in huge chunks, and I've heard that was common. Plays great, though. Dan gave me a quote on a refin, so it'll go to California this fall.

The neck is wider than I'm used to, but Kiz knows I don't really live or die by the neck width or thickness.  So far, I really like the sound and how it plays.  It is a bit heavier than I like, but I just couldn't pass it up for the price.

2 hours ago, The Shark said:

Anyone know if there's a directory or build list for these?  I looked on the website and didn't see anything.  Baker used to have a database for his production history.  This one is #497.

David,  I think under 1100 or 1200 is still from the first run of GMP guitars before they closed their doors.  The s/n picked up after they re-opened the doors I think in 2015 or something like that.  I seem to remember that the whole company started as one of the partners enjoyed painting cars and loved guitars (hence the flame and sparkle motifs) but that the whole company was funded by a power blender they produced that was a big money maker-but I could have that story wrong).

Peter

7 hours ago, The Shark said:

Anyone know if there's a directory or build list for these?  I looked on the website and didn't see anything.  Baker used to have a database for his production history.  This one is #497.

Kim at GMP indicated to me that they have no records from the  first generation production,  but they were trying to re-establish them from info supplied by others.

I remember years ago on the jackson/Charvel forum there were a couple of guys who were really into the GMP’s. I really admired the sparkle/flame paint jobs and even had a line on a V that I considered buying. But they were all 25.5” scale and I was buying up all of my Hamers that were 24.75” and getting rid of my fender scale guitars. 

Now, the only Hamers I have left are a Mirage, Mirage II and Talladega, along with my Charvel and partscaser, all of which are 25.5”...  go figure. 

12 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Dan has painted two guitars for me, both turned out spectacular.  HOWEVER, I should note each took over twice his original estimate, so you need to understand that going in as to not have unrealistic expectations.  

IMG_8408.JPG

I'm not sure the "cost" really matters, when the finish is that cool.

10 hours ago, HamStd said:

David,  I think under 1100 or 1200 is still from the first run of GMP guitars before they closed their doors.  The s/n picked up after they re-opened the doors I think in 2015 or something like that.  I seem to remember that the whole company started as one of the partners enjoyed painting cars and loved guitars (hence the flame and sparkle motifs) but that the whole company was funded by a power blender they produced that was a big money maker-but I could have that story wrong).

Peter

Thanks, Peter.  I'm really happy with this guitar.  And it's a lower number too.  I owned Audley Freed's guitar that was stamped "Prototype", but stupidly sold it.  Otherwise, I'm ignorant of any details of GMP builds. 

Archived