• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Boomerang~Junkie said:

Did I add my Tally-pro to this count?

Actually, I can’t remember. B)

On 1/7/2020 at 10:13 PM, Boomerang~Junkie said:

Did I add my Tally-pro to this count?

@Boomerang~Junkie Your Tally Pro is not added.  Question for those who may know.  My headstock has a dark wood veneer.  Very dark.  It could be rosewood or ebony.  Do all Tallies have a wood veneer or are some of them painted?  Mine is so dark, it almost looks painted so I really can't tell from pictures.

BOS,

I'm pretty sure all the headstocks are veneered - Pros as well.

I'm beginning to wonder if what I've been told about Tally-Pro's is true?   I've been told there were noticably fewer Talladega Pros made than there were Improvs -  less than 20 total.

I wonder if Mike or one of the former Hamer factory team might be able to shed some light on this question?

"I 'm beginning to wonder if what I've been told about Tally-Pro's is true?   I've been told there were noticably fewer Talladega Pros made than there were Improvs -  less than 20 total".

I am too far away from any inside (actual!) knowledge. My GUESS from observations.....

I THINK my Improv was # 21 and thought I later saw a 24 or 25.

Re the Tally Pro, I also had three pass through here. It seems like I have seen enough pop up that I would think the number might be more like "under 50" rather than under 25. I know I heard "under 50" somewhere. But......

It is a shame the end came before more were made. I always thought it to be a great guitar.

Re the Tally Pro, I also had three pass through here. It seems like I have seen enough pop up that I would think the number might be more like "under 50" rather than under 25. I know I heard "under 50" somewhere. But......

^^^   There have been very few T Pros offered through the board in the last 1-2 years.  I think only coolfeel's in 2019.   There was mention of one bought/sold in Texas that a custom builder sold.  Who snagged that?  And there was the one in an Amsterdam shop about six years ago, but they wouldn't ship.  And the transparent red one that was found in Tokyo.   You almost have to beat the bushes to find them.

The person who may know the most about production numbers could be "jackass".  My guess is the number is closer to 25 than 50.  

Don, you had the matching pair Tally and T-Pro and the other quilt that you sold to me.  What was the third T Pro.   Who got that?

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

^^^   There have been very few T Pros offered through the board in the last 1-2 years.  I think only coolfeel's in 2019.   There was mention of one bought/sold in Texas that a custom builder sold.  Who snagged that?  And there was the one in an Amsterdam shop about six years ago, but they wouldn't ship.  And the transparent red one that was found in Tokyo.   You almost have to beat the bushes to find them.

The person who may know the most about production numbers could be "jackass".  My guess is the number is closer to 25 than 50.  

Don, you had the matching pair Tally and T-Pro and the other quilt that you sold to me.  What was the third T Pro.   Who got that?

I had one that was a more typical sunburst. I got it from someone in Denver (IIRC).....Longer story....Not a member here. Pretty sure I sold it to someone here. I sold so many guitars over the past 4 years or so that I lose track.....Several on CL. A few on Reverb. I THINK it may have gone to So California.

Mine is a wood overlay as well. For the longest time I thought it was painted. Had to hold it in the light just right to see the grain...

7325B3FF-A14E-4A1B-B2AD-1F1F565B4C1E.jpeg

10 hours ago, Travis said:

Mine is a wood overlay as well. For the longest time I thought it was painted. Had to hold it in the light just right to see the grain...

7325B3FF-A14E-4A1B-B2AD-1F1F565B4C1E.jpeg

Holly and ebony are very popular veneers for headstocks, cocobolo and pau ferro look really sweet.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:02 PM, django49 said:

"I 'm beginning to wonder if what I've been told about Tally-Pro's is true?   I've been told there were noticably fewer Talladega Pros made than there were Improvs -  less than 20 total".

I am too far away from any inside (actual!) knowledge. My GUESS from observations.....

I THINK my Improv was # 21 and thought I later saw a 24 or 25.

It is a shame the end came before more were made. I always thought it to be a great guitar.

I can't keep these guesstimated build numbers straight either and I had few conversations with Kim about that exact topic - before I bought my Tally Pro and Improv.

Hell, I've never really been able to get to an accurate guess of regular Talladegas in my head.  The whole special run of Earthen Maples is always left out in my rough counting and that messes it up!  I think that's caused by some sort of psychological "envy" block or something!  :lol:  

I do think you are right with about 25 max on Improvs.  I do recall Kim saying there were noticeably fewer Tally Pro's that regular Talladega's.

• 3 weeks later...

Another Tally Pro here, #856312, first owner purchased it 24-11-2005

Maple top, not 'earthen' I think. It looks much like the one in the advertisement.

d9c244d0a576827ff48a05a2532d16ce.jpg

And we're in Europe :)

I'll post a picture this weekend

On 1/10/2020 at 5:35 AM, Pieman said:

I guess it was me snagging the one from the Amsterdam shop, back in dec 2013... :)

Update: 6 Tally Pros, 26 Tallies. 3 of which are Earthen Maple

Those who want to add serial numbers to the tally of Tallies, feel free.

12-22.jpg1-11.jpg

24-33.jpg

3 hours ago, bigolsparky said:

Update: 6 Tally Pros, 26 Tallies. 3 of which are Earthen Maple

Those who want to add serial numbers to the tally of Tallies, feel free.

12-22.jpg1-11.jpg

24-33.jpg

Serial no. added to my Irma Talladega: 755756.

Gabe. 😀

On 2/5/2020 at 9:48 PM, Pieman said:

Glad it worked out for you.  We really need to get a list of serial numbers together.   I will start on it.

I am adding serial numbers to the photos.  I will post them when we get a few more.  4 so far.

And my Talladega Pro, #8 56013, bought 9/2014 via ebay from a big Nashville Studio, after the flood (Top seam opened up a few millimeters at the butt)

Edit: 2014 was a not too bad a year.

Talladega Pro 856013 Re.jpg

4 minutes ago, donner said:

And my Talladega Pro, #8 56013, bought 9/2014 via ebay from a big Nashville Studio, after the flood (Top seam opened up a few millimeters at the butt)

I could add:

The golden mirror knobs make it more of an R0, just because I liked the optics.

And pickups are a set of Ian Anderson PAFs, that are absolutely comparable to other makers' PAF-iterations like OX4 or Throbaks.

They suit the Tally well.

1 hour ago, donner said:

Edit: 2014 was a not too bad a year.

Talladega Pro 856013 Re.jpg

Loved the figuring on your tally until I scrolled down and saw your tally pro. God, I need to get me one of those someday. And an earthen tally...  complete my tally trifecta...

Archived