Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Alice Cooper, Halestorm & MIW Review

First a shout out to Mr. BCR Greg for introducing me to the music of Halestorm almost two decade ago....where does the time go?!  

A couple of weeks ago, I took the family to see Alice Cooper, Halestorm and opening act Motionless in White.     They have a few more dates in the USA before they head off to Europe. 

MOTIONLESS IN WHITE
Motionless in White is not the kinda of band I'm going to go rush out to buy their latest single nor go to see in concert as a solo act.  For those that didn't get enough Marilyn Mansion, this band is for you.

Their songs are "formulamatic" - no surprises.  Frontman, Chris Cerulli does a very good job, knows his audience, plays to them.  To those that are not his audience, he knows how to get the attention. Bass Player Justin Morrow was absolutely entertaining.   His schtick is - he has been hung by the neck and doomed to play bass in a goth band, wait maybe that isn't his schtick that is his current "after" life  - excellent performance, let's face it, your not getting Billy Sheenan here.  

Set List
Rats
Broadcasting From the Grave
Everybody Sells Cocaine
A-M-E-R-I-C-A  (gotta love a Dr Seuss Song)
Brand New Numb
Reincarante
Untouchable - Sounds familiar can't quite figure out where they lifted the guitar and keyboard riffs but know the progressions from somewhere.
Voices (no, not Cheap Trick)

The Good
Entertaining

The Bad
The sound guy only got 1/2 a twenty.  The vocals were so buried you would have though the lead singer was really dead for more than 1/2 of the show.
Guitarists - they were on stage but nothing to write home about...N-O-T-H-I-N-G (hey, I think there is a song there!)
Heavily production backing tracks required.

HALESTORM
There have been a couple of reviews of Halestorm.   LZZY Hale is the real deal.  I do wonder how long she will be able to do what she does with her voice?
The maturity of her as a performer is impressive. Joe does excellent job with the lead riffs.  Band was on from song one to end of the set.  

Set List
Do Not Disturb
Ms Hyde (Perfect with an Alice Cooper Show)
Dear Daughter/AMEN
Uncomfortable
Black Vultures
Freak Like Me
I Get Off
Love Bites (and so do I )
Chemicals
I Miss the Misery

Good set list with a few new songs from their latest release thrown in. 

The Good
Everything

The Bad
Set wasn't as long as I would have liked.

ALICE COOPER
Disclaimer - saw AC earlier this year in May front the Hollywood Vampires at the Joint in Las Vegas.  The wife and I were in-town for a wedding and had taken her family "formally dressed" to see "O" the Cirque du Soleil show at the Belliago that night.  We got out early enough to rush out grab an Uber and purchase tickets for the floor second reserved section. We were the "best dressed" people there - LOL .  You should have seen the stares - priceless.  Talk about screwing with their minds...the typical audience attendee wasn't prepared for Ozzy and Harriet to show up. Now back to the current tour.

Well "Ol' black eyes is back!"

Set List
Feed My Frankenstein

No More Mr. Nice Guy
Bed of Nails
Raped and Freezin'
Fallen in Love
Muscle of Love
I'm Eighteen
Billion Dollar Babies
Poison
Guitar Solo - Nita Strauss
Roses on White Lace
My Stars
Devil's Food
Black Widow Jam
Steven
Dead Babies
I Love The Dead
Escape
Teenage Frankenstein

Encore
Under My Wheels
School's Out (with Lzzy Hale)

Now granted, I know AC from back in the day with his greatest hits.  IMPO one of his best songs is Poison, fits his character and stage show perfectly.   Showcases Nita Strauss perfectly as well. 

I was not familiar with AC's current band so two weeks before the show I had to do some research.  Ryan Roxie, great guitarist.  Absolutely love his style, tone and performance the entire night. Really good stage presence. Tommy Henriksen (also performs in Hollywood Vampires) is another rock steady guitarist. Nothing flashly here just go to work and do your job - thanks!  One thing about Alice, he knows how to surround himself with good if not consistently great musicians.  Hamer Performance Team Member Kip Winger was once in the AC stable.  Glen Sobel on drums, Chuck Garric on bass keep the bottom end down and great musicians as well.   Lead guitarist is Nita Strauss which most people know from Iron Maidens.    Strauss had a guitar clinic the night before which I was able to attend. 

There are four things that impress me about Nita; 
#1. She is genuine. If you listen to her videos and attend her guitar clinics she knows the business and understands how to communicate to her audience.       
#2. She is all business - don't kid yourself.  Her business is building her brand and business is good! - Respect! 
#3. She is gracious and witty.  God, I love an artist who appreciates the fans.  Killer smile and funny.   https://twitter.com/hurricanenita/status/1159111891400175619
#4. She can play.  Holy shit can she play! 

At the guitar clinic she played some practice tips, a couple of Iron Maiden shorts and her encore was AC's "Poison".  She has a her signature Ibanez guitar out and gave a shout out to Andy Timmons and Vai as well as other Ibanez stable mates. 

AC is about performing and the art of the rock and roll show. Many have followed but the original shock rocker still knows how to throw a party. The tone of the guitars was spot on.  Wall of sound with three artists at three different octaves and not bleeding over each other.  

The Good
AC - Stage Presence
Stage Theatrics
The Guitarists - Thank you, thank you, thank you, for doing what you do.  My faith was restored in guitar driven rock.
Talk about playing a set list.  No banter just kick out the jams!
Lzzy Hale on the encore for Schools Out

The Bad
Wished I had seen AC 30 years ago.

Bonus - When Strauss started Poison at the show she spotted me and at the end of her opening riff, she threw me her pick right to me.  Those that know me know I had a sheeeeet eating grin.  Thanks Hurricanenita.

Hamerica

I saw Alice in the 70’s... it was the best “Show” rock concert I have ever been to... Spiders (men) crawling from the arena ceiling scaring the fuck out of people... dwarfs trying to out run a real sword that stuck in the box they dove into... only women bleed he beat the shit out of a dummy and then she become real and danced with him... I was high as a kite and it was just awesome!!! 

Every time I see Alice I  will take someone who will say they don't want to go , " the show is childish." And every time there is a new Alice convert. Each time I hear , "Boy can them guys play ! " 

I saw this tour on Saturday night in Knoxville.  What stuck out was how different each band was.  Each had a distinct style of music.  Each had a unique looking stage.  Instead of seeing three bands with Cookie Monster vocals or three bands trying to be Judas Priest, the show was like three concerts in one. 

Been a huge fan since the beginning. And I did see Alice 30 years ago. And I saw him 44 years ago to. And the weirdest thing is he’s still as good as ever. Full speed ahead, take no prisoners and play it loud and play it like you mean it. There is absolutely no nostalgia to his show. The guy could make a living just by walking down to his mailbox to pick up his royalty checks but instead does anywhere from 75 to 90 shows a year, every year with his own band and another dozen or so shows with the Vampires on multiple continents. Pretty good for a guy who was on everybody’s dead pool list in the late 70’s and early 80’s. His band is top shelf. Roxie has been there for the most part 18 years or so. Garric has about 15 years and the drummer has about 8 years in. A well oiled machine. 

Missed the most recent visit to Clearwater but I have tried to see Alice and the band every time they have been to Tampa Bay since 2000. It took me 4 years to see him the first time in '78 in Minneapolis. I had been a fan since School's Out was first released. One of my all time favorite concert moments EVER was Davey Johnston from Elton John's band was on tour with Alice and started to play the riffs to Saturday Nights Allright For Fighting during his solo and Alice yelled IMMEDIATELY, "NOT IN MY SHOW ya don't!"  :lol: LOVE his current band!

ac813x4.jpg

My bass player Joey Costa played in Hot City.  They had a deal.  They toured with Alice.  They recorded at Criteria and stayed at Sam Coslow's house in Miami.  Check Joey out on his Magnatar Album "Parallel Worlds".  Fantastic musician.

Archived