Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pretty epic new Atlanta guitar shop, and who digs Rickenbackers?

polara

3 hours ago, Disturber said:

Did I sell that to you? No, but seriously I had a blue one that I sold in the late 80s for 200 bucks. That was so dumb. I have wanted another one for years. But ad a zero to what I sold it for, to get a new one. 

Yeah I miss those days, although scraping together $250 was a monumental feat back then  :)  

I bought that one at Rockin' Robin guitars in Houston. I had received one of their flyers in the mail advertising a big blowout sale on Ric 4001s at $249/ea. When I made it there, they had a big "V" formation of them on stands in the back room.  I played every one of em!  15 or so... It was between that mapleglo and a burgundyglo which I probably should have opted for... but the one I picked played better.  This would have been around '87, when people wanted Ibanez Soundgears and stuff like that.

If I could've afforded 'em, I still remember playing a wonderful Guild Starfire and a metric s***ton of Hofner 500/1s - all ridiculously cheap by today's standards. 

On 8/14/2019 at 10:53 AM, LefThanDed said:

Johnny. Johnny digs Rickenbackers.

f80ade1d8e15a40ad01e93a6e05c5f0d.jpg

I’ve seen that exact (ex-Johnny)Guitar recently...  

51 minutes ago, RobB said:

What’s the story with the sunken bridge/tp mod?

That's how Rickenbacker made 'em back in 1960!  

60RICK450.jpg

2 hours ago, cmatthes said:

That's how Rickenbacker made 'em back in 1960!  

60RICK450.jpg

Oh, think of all the lint, dirt, dead skin cells and sweat that can gather upp in there. Such a treat!

Never spent any time with a Ric, but I always thought they were very cool with that retro vibe. There's something about the striped headstock that reminds me of an old 50's surfboard.

Never heard an exploding tailpiece on a guitar before, but I don't think quality metal should fail like that. Sounds like crappy metal. Seems like so much stuff made of metal that comes from Asia is just crap. I have a vintage USA lamp from the 40s-50s that is built like a tank and works like a champ. I also have a lamp built in China that had metal parts that literally crumbled like a fortune cookie. I also have a really old USA Craftsman vise that can take a beating and that'll certainly outlast me. Saw another guy's Harbor Freight import vise from China that looked beefy but broke under a few whacks with a hammer. Looked like it was hollow spun-cast metal or something. The point is, not all metal is equal and Ric should find a better source for those tailpieces.

On 8/18/2019 at 12:16 AM, FGJ said:

Never spent any time with a Ric, but I always thought they were very cool with that retro vibe. There's something about the striped headstock that reminds me of an old 50's surfboard.

Never heard an exploding tailpiece on a guitar before, but I don't think quality metal should fail like that. Sounds like crappy metal. Seems like so much stuff made of metal that comes from Asia is just crap. I have a vintage USA lamp from the 40s-50s that is built like a tank and works like a champ. I also have a lamp built in China that had metal parts that literally crumbled like a fortune cookie. I also have a really old USA Craftsman vise that can take a beating and that'll certainly outlast me. Saw another guy's Harbor Freight import vise from China that looked beefy but broke under a few whacks with a hammer. Looked like it was hollow spun-cast metal or something. The point is, not all metal is equal and Ric should find a better source for those tailpieces.

I think "exploding tailpieces" is one of those things that once it happens, it's suddenly A Thing To Beware Of, and becomes part of the brand lore. A quick scan of Rickenbacker forums makes it seem like a thing, but not something that happens often at all. Also their metal stuff is made in the US, except for Schaller tuners from Germany. Hall had some online post raging about how he wouldn't buy Asian parts because of quality (guess he never tried Gotoh tuners).

Japanese metal quality is excellent; they make some of the best ss knives and blades. I'll take Japanese Feather blades over today's Gillette crap any day.... Then again, much of Gillette's crap is imported now. 

Archived