Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
gtrdaddy

Gibson Guitars To Be Built By Echopark as “Kalamazoo Spec” In Detroit

Posted (edited)

They were supposed to be smarter with  Negan as CEO. Scratching my head. Why? Really... Why?

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Like 1

First of all I would like to say welcome back Jamie!.. 2nd of all why is Gibson having so many issues?.. I mean geez!.. I'm just going to be happy and content playing with my far superior Hamer guitars!

• Like 2

Gibson owns or leases buildings.  Gibson pays for utilities. Gibson buys insurance.  Gibson pays employees wages, social security, workmans comp, etc. 

So does Echo Park Instruments. 

Echo Park has to include all the overhead in what it charges Gibson. 

One has to wonder what the Gibson shop managers and employees think about someone else getting subcontracted to do what they should be doing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

First of all I would like to say welcome back Jamie!

Thank you Brutha Dave! Life gets hectic sometimes!

• Like 4

Maybe quality assurance will be better controlled at Echopark. I sure do like the look of their V. The last Gibsons I bought were in 2007 when they had the guitar of the week launch. I got the SG 3 standard and the reverse flying V. The SG was poorly finished and had a completely mismatched 2 piece body. The V on the other hand was excellent. I had also bought one of their Canadian made guitars (Newfoundland, old Garrison guitar facility). It was poorly finished inside with glue and rough wood showing. The venture did not last long....

Yes welcome back Jamie. 

Authorized just means they paid a fee, to be able to make the shape or exact copies. Which is what Gibson is looking for, to make $$$. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spanky said:

Maybe quality assurance will be better controlled at Echopark. I sure do like the look of their V. The last Gibsons I bought were in 2007 when they had the guitar of the week launch. I got the SG 3 standard and the reverse flying V. The SG was poorly finished and had a completely mismatched 2 piece body. The V on the other hand was excellent. I had also bought one of their Canadian made guitars (Newfoundland, old Garrison guitar facility). It was poorly finished inside with glue and rough wood showing. The venture did not last long....

But 6k for a standard exploerer, plus 800 bux for BRW... C'mon... that's high. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, 0054 said:

But 6k for a standard exploerer, plus 800 bux for BRW... C'mon... that's high. 

For you, but not for the intended market.

Edited by bubs_42
  • Like 1

EchoPark guitars are fucking ugly, amateurish and overpriced.   Gabe is a rip-off artist of the worst kind.  I wouldn’t own anything he’s built if you paid me.

I don’t see this ending well for Gibson...

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Yes welcome back Jamie. 

Authorized just means they paid a fee, to be able to make the shape or exact copies. Which is what Gibson is looking for, to make $$$. 

My impression too.    A licensing deal to build using those designs.   

Maybe they could license their designs to Epiphone. Oh, wait.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, DaveL said:

A licensing deal to build using those designs.   

That’s what I was thinking, but I saw the video above, and a couple of articles I read alluded to Gibson also licensing their name as well, meaning the guitars made could actually say Gibson on the headstock. I didn’t see that on the Echopark website though. Who knows.

Either way,  Brent has a new place to dumpster-dive. 

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Gibson owns or leases buildings.  Gibson pays for utilities. Gibson buys insurance.  Gibson pays employees wages, social security, workmans comp, etc. 

So does Echo Park Instruments. 

Echo Park has to include all the overhead in what it charges Gibson. 

One has to wonder what the Gibson shop managers and employees think about someone else getting subcontracted to do what they should be doing. 

Guild called.  

4 hours ago, cmatthes said:

EchoPark guitars are fucking ugly, amateurish and overpriced.   Gabe is a rip-off artist of the worst kind.  I wouldn’t own anything he’s built if you paid me.

I don’t see this ending well for Gibson...

But how do you really feel?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

First of all I would like to say welcome back Jamie!.. 2nd of all why is Gibson having so many issues?.. I mean geez!.. I'm just going to be happy and content playing with my far superior Hamer guitars!

Gibson has been having issues at least since selling to Norlin, which goes back to 1969, 50 years ago. Each subsequent owner nearly goes broke trying to find a winning formula to no avail, and then sells to the next sucker.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Gibson has been having issues at least since selling to Norlin, which goes back to 1969, 50 years ago. Each subsequent owner nearly goes broke trying to find a winning formula to no avail, and then sells to the next sucker.

People falsely believe bigger is better and that the economies of scale are linear and absolute.  I believe Gibson is too large and would need to reduce to about half to be able to concentrate on their issues.  Problem is, when people buy the company, they pay based on the exaggerated volume, thereby making such a modification economically not viable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Studio Custom said:

People falsely believe bigger is better and that the economies of scale are linear and absolute.  I believe Gibson is too large and would need to reduce to about half to be able to concentrate on their issues.  Problem is, when people buy the company, they pay based on the exaggerated volume, thereby making such a modification economically not viable.  

Actually, that is what the entire bankruptcy was about. They spun off the pro audio business and contracted their offerings to the core instrument business, which was where their brand name had some cachet. They had way over expanded and the overseas and audio sides were hemorrhaging money.

2 hours ago, Moose said:

Actually, that is what the entire bankruptcy was about. They spun off the pro audio business and contracted their offerings to the core instrument business, which was where their brand name had some cachet. They had way over expanded and the overseas and audio sides were hemorrhaging money.

The guitar division is far too large as well given the current market for high end guitars.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

The guitar division is far too large as well given the current market for high end guitars.  

What percentage of their product goes unsold?

Check out Echopark threads on TGP.  The guy is a tool.  He enjoys being the builder that eclipsed Ian Anderson as the most dishonest and arrogant builder.  I guarantee that this will blow up in Gibson's face.  Missed delivery dates, shoddy work and ignored communication to come.  Watch and learn.  C. Matthes knows...

• Like 8

WTFFFF?  I thought they brought in people with actual brains to run Gibson? Do they keep them in a box at home?  

Maybe they want even worse customer service than they have now? I don't understand this. One only has to google echopark to find lots of nightmare stories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cynic said:

What percentage of their product goes unsold?

We’ll just have to wait for the upcoming excavator vs guitar videos.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

We’ll just have to wait for the upcoming excavator vs guitar videos.

Ha, fair enough.  Firebird X notwithstanding.

9 minutes ago, cynic said:

Ha, fair enough.  Firebird X notwithstanding.

Indeed.