Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Impossible Germany

BubbaVO

They’re not exactly Lynyrd Skynyrd, are they?

I love what Nels Cline does in that band, so “out” but fitting so perfectly into the pop/rock straightforwardness of Wilco’s songs.  

2 hours ago, Rich_S said:

They’re not exactly Lynyrd Skynyrd, are they?

Thank God!

That’s one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands. And I agree with you completely, Nels Cline fits into all the weirdness perfectly. 

I'm in the minority that find's Nel's playing a bit overzealous, specifically just for that song.  

Other times, his sorta frenetic style really fits in one of their mellower songs.  This is one of my faves for that.

soli'd, I have mixed feelings about Nels' playing in Wilco. I love it on Impossible Germany though!!

Sometimes I find it's over the top and doesn't gel. I think that Pat Sanstrome actually is a better fit, I find when he does the odd lead here and there it's nice and melodic and he doesn't overwhelm the song like Nels sometimes does.

Still, I'm not all down on Nels. For the stuff that works for me, it really works.

Wilco has been a favourite of mine for a long time, they always bring it live. Can't wait for the new album!

Regardless of one's take on Nels w/Wilco, he is fun to watch live.  I saw him and Julian Lage sans effects in a smallish room, what a show.  Long-winded way of saying I dig his side projects.

G Man, have you heard Nels Clines Singers? I really liked that.

Nels is certainly talented, and he does so much stuff he's hard to categorize.

1 hour ago, sonic1974 said:

G Man, have you heard Nels Clines Singers? I really liked that.

Nels is certainly talented, and he does so much stuff he's hard to categorize.

Agreed, and yes, love the name.

2 hours ago, G Man said:

Regardless of one's take on Nels w/Wilco, he is fun to watch live.  I saw him and Julian Lage sans effects in a smallish room, what a show.  Long-winded way of saying I dig his side projects.

That’s funny, I saw Nels Cline and Julian Lage from the front row at UT’s Cactus Cafe. Less than 5 feet away from both of them.

I got to speak with Cline afterward and he asked me if I enjoyed the show. I told him “I’m not sure. I was lost the entire night!”

It was an honest answer. Half the time if you’d have asked me the key or time signature, I would not have been certain of either! Those guys were out there... I did enjoy listening to something outside my norms and challenging myself a little. 

I also enjoy the Nels Cline Singers, but I think he’s perfect for Wilco. The whole band is great but he pushes things in weird directions, and I mean that as a huge compliment. 

Jeff Tweedy is a great songwriter and a solid guitarist. I like the way he and Cline mesh, but still leave room for the rest of the band to excel. Love Glenn Kotche’s drumming, too!

43 minutes ago, Kurt L said:

That’s funny, I saw Nels Cline and Julian Lage from the front row at UT’s Cactus Cafe. Less than 5 feet away from both of them.

I got to speak with Cline afterward and he asked me if I enjoyed the show. I told him “I’m not sure. I was lost the entire night!”

It was an honest answer. Half the time if you’d have asked me the key or time signature, I would not have been certain of either! Those guys were out there... I did enjoy listening to something outside my norms and challenging myself a little. 

I also enjoy the Nels Cline Singers, but I think he’s perfect for Wilco. The whole band is great but he pushes things in weird directions, and I mean that as a huge compliment. 

Jeff Tweedy is a great songwriter and a solid guitarist. I like the way he and Cline mesh, but still leave room for the rest of the band to excel. Love Glenn Kotche’s drumming, too!

It took a few years of Nicholas Jaar, Snarky Puppy, Frank Zappa, Donny McCaslin and the like before I found my way back to Wilco. I blame my daughter and my youngest son for leading me down the jazz path.   I guess when you hang out in the jazz band with a guitar player (Simon Martinez) doing this stuff rubs off (Bonus - Hamer content):

That is a great song. And a great video, thanks for sharing.

I loved Wilco up until Jankee Hotel Foxtrot. And the two albums they did with Billy Bragg. But after that I think they lost the plot. I think Tweed listened to much on Radiohead albums or something.

I also liked the Mavis Staples albums that Tweedy produced. Good stuff.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:13 AM, Disturber said:

I loved Wilco up until Jankee Hotel Foxtrot. And the two albums they did with Billy Bragg. But after that I think they lost the plot. I think Tweed listened to much on Radiohead albums or something.

I like all the twists and turns... you might be missing out. Give this song two minutes and see if the groove doesn’t grab you.

And I would almost swear Jeff Tweedy is channeling some early 70s solo John Lennon here....

Archived