Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson SG Modern

BubbaVO

11 hours ago, crunchee said:

I wish it was 22 frets instead of 24.  I wonder how thick that maple top is...like, is it an actual piece of maple like a Hamer Special FM, or thin veneer like early Hamer Specials?  It'd make a difference in tone one way or the other.

You don't have to use the extra frets. 😁

9 hours ago, The Shark said:

SG's should only exist in cherry, antique white or Pelham blue.  The cherry can fade to natural...

I would say cherry and black would be enough.

1 hour ago, tommy p said:

You don't have to use the extra frets. 😁

Not my point.  Harmonics get lost on a guitar with a 24 fret neck that don't/won't on a 22 fret neck guitar, because the neck pickup is usually where the 24th fret would otherwise be on a 22 fret guitar, which is where a natural harmonic is...which is good, as the neck pickup will usually sound much better, and the guitar will be that much more useful, IMO.  The neck pickup doesn't/won't sound the same between the two locations.

An in depth review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnJPWey2Vig

Looks like the maple cap is substantial.  The body seems a little thicker.  22 v 24 - the neck pup sounds pretty good to me. Any time you move the pick up closer or farther from the bridge you're going to get a different tone.  The question is - do you like it?

I'm not a purist on colors or tops.  I'm not upset that it doesn't have a vibrola either.

31 minutes ago, BubbaVO said:

The question is - do you like it?

I personally find it extremely attractive. I love SG’s. While fanciness isn’t what they were created for, this blue princess does have a lot of charm. Very cool axe!

But the true question is: do YOU like it? 😉

7 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

The market place has told Gibson time and time again, "we don't want change, we want improved quality", are they deaf or stupid?

Answer: Yes.

10 hours ago, crunchee said:

Not my point.  Harmonics get lost on a guitar with a 24 fret neck that don't/won't on a 22 fret neck guitar, because the neck pickup is usually where the 24th fret would otherwise be on a 22 fret guitar, which is where a natural harmonic is...which is good, as the neck pickup will usually sound much better, and the guitar will be that much more useful, IMO.  The neck pickup doesn't/won't sound the same between the two locations.

Well, the problem is that with an SG, the pickup isn't right next to the fretboard on the 22 fret models. I actually doubt that the pickup is a different distance from the nut. Note this picture of a 24 Fret SG supreme next to a 22 Fret SG Standard:

spacer.png

Also, Thundersteel picked one up a while back, and was not really impressed:

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

Well, the problem is that with an SG, the pickup isn't right next to the fretboard on the 22 fret models. I actually doubt that the pickup is a different distance from the nut. Note this picture of a 24 Fret SG supreme next to a 22 Fret SG Standard:

spacer.png

I stand corrected...my experience with 24-fret electrics that turned me off on those, were with old '70's Guild solidbody electrics I once had, a S-300 and a S-60D.  Obviously, not all guitars are created equal (D'oh!). The late '80's Ric 330 and 360 that I once had also had 24 fret necks, but that never bothered me, primarily because they were Rics, and I just accepted that on a Ric.  That, plus I couldn't afford vintage Ric RIs.

The 24th fret natural harmonic point for pickup location is only at that location for open strings. Once you fret a note the harmonic point shifts toward the bridge. It looks like the SG's pole pieces are located at the harmonic of 2nd or 3rd fret.

I used to not care for SGs, until I picked one up and it felt simple in a good way. In fact, for some reason SGs strike me as a Gibson version of a Tele; a flat slab of wood that works precisely because it's simple. Sure, it has buckers and isn't exactly twangy, but it's the simplicity that gives me that vibe...though I prefer a Tele. 

Tried go-arounds with two SGs: '62RI and a 2x P90 models. They sounded okay, but I must've not had solid examples. They felt flimsy, the neck joints seemed feeble. 

Looking back, I prolly should have spent more time with each guitar, and adjusted my playing approach accordingly. I guess I expected them to be something they were not. 

16 hours ago, RobB said:

Tried go-arounds with two SGs: '62RI and a 2x P90 models. They sounded okay, but I must've not had solid examples. They felt flimsy, the neck joints seemed feeble. 

Looking back, I prolly should have spent more time with each guitar, and adjusted my playing approach accordingly. I guess I expected them to be something they were not. 

Definitely look for ones with the longer late 60's neck joint. They just feel so much more solid, and I think they sound better too. I have no idea why Gibson even makes any with the original weak and short neck joint. The longer joint is probably around 1 1/2 inches longer than the original design.

21 hours ago, RobB said:

The '61RI you got from me? Taste, style, and setup vary, of course, but I thought that one was a pretty solid guitar. Still, it's a SG with a 60s slim taper neck. Not a lot of wood, or weight.

What was your expectation with them? Was it like a first-time Studio owner expecting it to sound like a Les Paul, then finding out it didn't?

Archived