Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Chicago Blues Box Kingston 30 on the cheap. What would you do?

Hbom

Just saw a CL ad for a Chicago Blues Box Kingston 30 pretty cheap. Seller says;

"For sale is a Chicago Blues Box Kingston 30 1x12 All Tube guitar amplifier. This amp is a tone monster. I had the amp re-built in March 2017 by Dan Butler the original builder. Hand wired Class A/B tube amplifier. Tone Tubby 40/40 speaker. currently has 6L6s, but can take EL34s as well. Dan makes all of Buddy Guys Amplifiers.

The Amp recently started making some weird scratchy noises and I dont have time to work on it."

If someone offers you an expensive amp with "some weird scratchy noises" for $450.00 would you take the chance or run away?

D

edit: I should add that 30 watts would be about 20 more than I need.

4 hours ago, specialk said:

Tempting. But no. 

3 hours ago, Bloozguy said:

Well worth it for that amp...even with the possibility of needing repairs 

Thanks guys. Exactly what I thought.

I see it's still listed this morning. So I'm not the only one that hasn't jumped on that good deal. We don't have any good amp guys around here right now and shipping that to and from the lower 48 for repair would probably be more than the value. I'd guess that's why he "doesn't have time to work on it." 

In spite of Chicago Blues reputation, and because they don't seem to be around anymore, this is one good deal I'm going to let someone else have.

Sometimes scratchy noises just means it needs some tube(s) replaced, doesn't it?

I fixed a scratchy-sounding tremolo on a vintage Silvertone 1x12 by replacing the tremolo driver tube.

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

Sometimes scratchy noises just means it needs some tube(s) replaced, doesn't it?

I fixed a scratchy-sounding tremolo on a vintage Silvertone 1x12 by replacing the tremolo driver tube.

I think you're right. But it can also mean a 1/2 dozen other things. Most of which are beyond my skill level. I have some e-books on amp troubleshooting and know just about enough to keep from killing myself. (so far)

And it was rebuilt by the original builder 2 years ago which leaves me wondering why it is having problems so soon.

Bottom line on this one is  that IF I could buy it @ 400 and fix it for 2 I'm not sure I would want to keep it for myself. Too big for my needs. And I don't think I could sell it locally for 6-800.

I'm still watching it, but think I'll let someone else enjoy it.

Archived